Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R&P Strength?

I have the TJ Rubi 44's. In the future I plan on going to 37's. On 35's now. My concern is the R&P strength. I have the factory 4:11's. I want to go to 5:13's. Will the lower gearset be too weak for the 37's? I try to wheel with as much finesse as possible. But, we all know you have to romp on it now and then.

Thanks, Joe
    It was like that when I got here.

I've been planning to do this eventually:

http://www.jantz4x4.com//jantz.php?p=detail&pro=jana_k4
    holes = cowbell

Comment

It isn't only the ring and pinion, what about the u joints in the axle shafts?
      Might want to try and find a JK front Dana 44 bigger U joints and ring and pinion. Or run what you got and see how far it goes.
      Seen a buddy try it with a D44, 488 gears and 37's first rock section of the EMC race it let go. Diff cover bolts didn't want to stay tight from the axle housing flexing, tightened them up three times from the desert prerunning at speed. Going big just isn't cheap. Truthfully try it, it's the most economic route. Just don't be disapointed when some parts get spit out

Comment

I think I'd say build the expensive stuff strong and leave the cheaper parts as the weak points. It's much easier and cheaper to fix U Joints on the trail than an axle or ring and pinion. I'm not saying put pop cans in there, but that's my thoughts.
        USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
          I think I'd say build the expensive stuff strong and leave the cheaper parts as the weak points. It's much easier and cheaper to fix U Joints on the trail than an axle or ring and pinion. I'm not saying put pop cans in there, but that's my thoughts.
          Problem with broken axle shaft u joints is that it pulls the ball joints out and destroys one or both axle shafts rather quickly.
          So then a balljoint press and a pair of balljoints are needed. A broken ring gear on the trail is actually easier to overcome on the trail. Still a bunch of work but you can make the vehicle motive again by removing the diff carrier and taking the ring gear off, then reassembling the whole shebang. Granted it's 2 wheel drive, but sure beats no wheel drive.
          Doesn't take real long to go from bang to this.

Is a definite party pooper. Happened to one of my friend's Rubicon Dana 44 with 37" MTR's
          Lucky for him, I pretty much knew it was going to happen somewhere during that day so brought my balljoint press. Was fun getting it off the trail in the pitch dark JV is a big place when there isn't any light to be had and land marks cannot be seen. Made for fun to A find the darn Jeep and B finding our way back to Hammertown. Was actually a pretty cool bit of roaming around the desert
          Last edited by aw12345; 05-11-13, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Ford 9" of D60's.
            Oh and a ton of $$$ too.
            LG
            Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
              Ford 9" of D60's.
              Oh and a ton of $$$ too.
              LG
              Been there done that, solved that problem to date, was well worth the coin

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                Problem with broken axle shaft u joints is that it pulls the ball joints out and destroys one or both axle shafts rather quickly.
                So then a balljoint press and a pair of balljoints are needed. A broken ring gear on the trail is actually easier to overcome on the trail. Still a bunch of work but you can make the vehicle motive again by removing the diff carrier and taking the ring gear off, then reassembling the whole shebang. Granted it's 2 wheel drive, but sure beats no wheel drive.
                Doesn't take real long to go from bang to this.

Is a definite party pooper. Happened to one of my friend's Rubicon Dana 44 with 37" MTR's
                Lucky for him, I pretty much knew it was going to happen somewhere during that day so brought my balljoint press. Was fun getting it off the trail in the pitch dark JV is a big place when there isn't any light to be had and land marks cannot be seen. Made for fun to A find the darn Jeep and B finding our way back to Hammertown. Was actually a pretty cool bit of roaming around the desert
                I definitely agree with Art on this point. I have seen a popped u-joint take out a bunch of other parts when it goes.

Comment

Good to know. My logic is flawed. Thanks. I guess I'll have to start rethinking some of my upgrades that I'm slowly doing to my fully automatic limo.
                  USMC F&AM

Comment

jk 44 has bigger ring and pinion and larger u joints in the axle shafts, so that part is covered, on those sleeving the axle tubes and gusseting the inner c's lets you run 37's pretty reliably

Comment

Ahh. Guess i will be doing that when these tires are shot.
                      USMC F&AM

Comment

I think a lot of it has to do with driving style. I had my stock Dana 30 w 4.88's and chromo shafts and 37's do fine for two years until I swapped in the 44. If you are desert pre running that is a different story. If you are crawling or just running fire roads in between trails the 44 is fine. You already have your RCV shafts so you should be good there. If you don't drive crazy 4.88's and 37's were fine for me.

Comment

The JK Dana 44 rear has the larger R&P. The front is the same ol' reverse rotation Dana 44 R&P. Like Art said, it's the axle tubes that are the weak part of the JK front D44.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

Thanks, But, except for Brett, nobody really answered my question. It's been more suggestions, on what else I can do. If I was to swap axles, I'd spend the cash, get 60's, and be done with it.

U-joints are a non-issue. I have RCV's. I will not be racing, anytime soon, so, I wont be putting that kind of stress on my axles.

So, I guess I'll rephrase. Has anyone experienced problems with R&P failure, with 37's and 5:13's, on a TJ D44?
                            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Once you go to 37's you put alot more stress on parts. If you do not drive aggressive you may be ok. But if you drive aggressive Your axle and steering will suffer. After awhile you will out drive your equipment.
                              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Working...
                              X