Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theres basically only 3 "grades" if you will. Dana (which is OE and considered the best but thats only personal preference), theres Yukon, then theres the basic import from the major importer that almost Everyone else uses. There is also a few other variations, but with who I deal with, those three are basically what I rate and consider.

If its me. I just do a USA Standard boxed set. They are typically the same exact gear as what the other major box names have in their boxes, and saves you 50-150$ depending.

If you must have a piece of mind, then do a Yukon boxed set.
    *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

So is USA Standard made by Yukon and is not up to Yukon's Quality (gear noise). Because the part numbers are alike and they are made with the same material?
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

There is no simple answer...

USA Standard is RRP lower cost option.

To first understand Yukon is to understand USA Standard.
        And to really understand either, you have to know how the gear and axle industry buys/sells.
        But to be simple...
        Yukon in the last maybe 4 yrs. has been revamped if you will, over years ago.

RRP "randy himself" vows to not put anything in a Yukon box that he doesn't believe is of the Highest and best quality out there. But that comes at a cost premium. All aftermarket gear and axle company's (Today) import from over sea's, from multiple locations and factory's. Yukon contracts directly with those that produce his gears. Once Lot shipments are received they undergo a Extensive QC check state side in Washington at RRP. NO ONE else in aftermarket gear and axles does this. Sure they might look at a shaft during boxing with their human eye, or notice if a set was dropped and noticeably surface damaged. But thats all! Does this make Yukon better. IDK. It does assure you get the same quality every box and the poss of getting a manuf defective gear set Very low.

Now lets talk USA Standard since thats who you asked about. USA Standard is a low cost option, but to the same standards and operating procedures as all the other gear/axle names out there (Except Yukon and some specialty names as Richmond, US Gear, etc).

They get Lot product from over seas, and it gets divided up and put in retail boxes and sold/shipped. Same Exact procedure that all the other brands you see thrown around here and elsewhere do, and from the SAME exact factorys and import supply line. IF the factory that made, say the D30R-456R gear set in the USA standard box numbered each produced gear set, then the possibility of getting the next production numbered set in say a Motive gear box, or Nitro gear box, or even some G-2 or Sierra, is Extremely High and possible.

Now back to Yukon. If they get their lot supply from a factory and they find a small imperfection on a portion of the product they will sample test more and if found not acceptable, then the product could end up being one of a few options.
        Go into a USA Standard box, if its not deemed structurally unsound, or defective.
        Go to a competitor for them to box (believe it or not this happens ALOT!!)
        Go Back to the factory as defective.

Then we have another regular occurrence. RRP is out of all D30r-456r gear sets. Yukon is out and USA Standard is out. RRP gets 200 sets of gears from their supplier. They check out good, Again RRP samples a portion of every shipment lot, that is to go into a Yukon box. SO they take say 70% of the 200 and box them Yukon. They take the other 30% and box into USA Standard. This is Extremely common also! Buy doing so they still get the sames for those that dont want to pay the premium cost of Yukons, but yet still RRP makes some $ by selling a gear set in the USA Standard box.

Then you also have some Yukon D60 axles and some D44's etc, that are hardened here in the states and even though they might be a "Import" blank, they are stronger then the USA made counter part. Or the shaft is made for Yukon and Yukon only over seas and not part of the generic factory exports that everyone buys and boxes in their 4340 kits. And shown to be the strongest 4340 mass produced shafts.

Clear as mud?

OH HAVE TO ADD.
        After reading the above, maybe you realize why I sell USA Standard as my gear of choice. Its the same gear factory made as other boxed sets yet you save 10-40% off another name on the box.

And the "may be noisy" is to help alleviate RRP from having to warranty every joe billy bob that doesn't have a clue what they are doing when they install em and they are noisy, due to improper setup. Yes they might be a Slight bit more noise then a stock gear set. But ALL aftermarket gears will be this way. RRP just doesnt want to have to warranty due to improper install. For the cost/savings of their USA Standard line-up this helps keep it low from not having bogus warranty claims, driving up price.
        Last edited by ROBERTK; 05-06-13, 03:32 PM.

Comment

interesting info
          holes = cowbell

Comment

Great reply Robert. After that I would say you deserve some business.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
              He just got mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                He just got mine.
                After I get mine torn down, he gets my business. Drain the oil today and some teeth fell out LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                  Curtis – I agree… Robert installed Yukon 5.38’s in my JK axles about 2 years ago. No whining, no problems at all.
                  Cliff

Comment

And to continue the kudos for Robert. I spoke to him on the phone yesterday about what I was doing and he gave me some tips and such so I ordered my axles yesterday. I figured Thursday or Friday I would get them. I just got a call from the front lobby here at work something about a box o' fun for me.

Comment

Cool, new front axle shafts. I got mine from him last fall.

Scott
                      Come to the dark side.....
                      We have Cookies!

Comment

I recommend [COLOR="#FF0000"]10 Factory[/COLOR] for all your axle needs as they are the only company that warranty what they sell even when they changed hands and so I swear by them. Here's my story so you know why:

Years ago when the original co-owner of Alloy USA started his company, I bought a set of their premium axle shafts to fit my TJ D44 rear axle. I needed the shafts to have 5x5.5 conversion built in and needed them to be strong enough to reliably turn 37" tires. I know, I know, I was pushing it with 37's but hey, it worked.

Fast forward to last year 2012 July 16th..... I was on the Dusy Ershim trail with my wife at Voyager Rock near the camp grounds. We were climbing up onto the slick rock at about a 45* angle when "SNAP-CLUNK-BANG!!!" Holy S***! What was that?!? A guy at the bottom of the slab (I was half way up in the middle of the steepest part at least 100 yards give or take) yelled to me "YOU BROKE YOUR RIGHT REAR AXLE! IT'S LEANING AND LOOKS LIKE THE WHEEL IS GOING TO FALL OFF!" Ok, Huston, we have hood-&-sky plus we now have a problem. The engine stalled immediately and forward progress was halted. 4 hours later & 12 guys on two different tow straps along with two guys "kicking" the tire back into place under the Jeep & we were back on "almost" flat ground..... The rock garden at the gated entrance before the wheel fell off completely and bounced about 50 yards down the trail where it came to rest in some bushes. It was SUNDAY NIGHT, no parts to be had until the morning so we go to sleep. The next day I secure parts to fix the Jeep from friends in LA and we are home by Tuesday night.

Here's the reason I won't go with anybody else:
                        The original owner of Alloy USA now owns 10 Factory. HE WARRANTED MY AXLE SHAFTS on Wednesday, the next day I got back WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED EVEN THOUGH OMIX-ADA WAS NOW THE NEW OWNER OF ALLOY USA for a couple years now!

This is customer service ABOVE & BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY!

I am a 10 Factory customer FOR LIFE because the owner stood behind his products even when the name changed! Also, they have EVERYTHING in stock and with one phone call, they deliver the next day if it is that important. Not very many companies will stand behind their products like these guys will so keep this in mind if you break an axle 6 years later......

Read the threads over on pirate of several customers stating the same thing and his offer to original pre Omix-Ada owned axle shaft owners about his warranty. I have never witnessed customer service this good in a very long time. They care about your project and make it their business to keep you as a customer.

FWIW YMMV but my mileage has been tops with them!

RangerRick
                        " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
                        Rick W6RE

Comment

Originally posted by RangerRick View Post
                          I recommend [COLOR="#FF0000"]10 Factory[/COLOR] for all your axle needs as they are the only company that warranty what they sell even when they changed hands and so I swear by them. Here's my story so you know why:

Years ago when the original co-owner of Alloy USA started his company, I bought a set of their premium axle shafts to fit my TJ D44 rear axle. I needed the shafts to have 5x5.5 conversion built in and needed them to be strong enough to reliably turn 37" tires. I know, I know, I was pushing it with 37's but hey, it worked.

Fast forward to last year 2012 July 16th..... I was on the Dusy Ershim trail with my wife at Voyager Rock near the camp grounds. We were climbing up onto the slick rock at about a 45* angle when "SNAP-CLUNK-BANG!!!" Holy S***! What was that?!? A guy at the bottom of the slab (I was half way up in the middle of the steepest part at least 100 yards give or take) yelled to me "YOU BROKE YOUR RIGHT REAR AXLE! IT'S LEANING AND LOOKS LIKE THE WHEEL IS GOING TO FALL OFF!" Ok, Huston, we have hood-&-sky plus we now have a problem. The engine stalled immediately and forward progress was halted. 4 hours later & 12 guys on two different tow straps along with two guys "kicking" the tire back into place under the Jeep & we were back on "almost" flat ground..... The rock garden at the gated entrance before the wheel fell off completely and bounced about 50 yards down the trail where it came to rest in some bushes. It was SUNDAY NIGHT, no parts to be had until the morning so we go to sleep. The next day I secure parts to fix the Jeep from friends in LA and we are home by Tuesday night.

Here's the reason I won't go with anybody else:
                          The original owner of Alloy USA now owns 10 Factory. HE WARRANTED MY AXLE SHAFTS on Wednesday, the next day I got back WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED EVEN THOUGH OMIX-ADA WAS NOW THE NEW OWNER OF ALLOY USA for a couple years now!

This is customer service ABOVE & BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY!

I am a 10 Factory customer FOR LIFE because the owner stood behind his products even when the name changed! Also, they have EVERYTHING in stock and with one phone call, they deliver the next day if it is that important. Not very many companies will stand behind their products like these guys will so keep this in mind if you break an axle 6 years later......

Read the threads over on pirate of several customers stating the same thing and his offer to original pre Omix-Ada owned axle shaft owners about his warranty. I have never witnessed customer service this good in a very long time. They care about your project and make it their business to keep you as a customer.

FWIW YMMV but my mileage has been tops with them!

RangerRick
                          I agree Ten Factory Is great.

But also dont forget....

Warn drivetrain devision was bought by RRP (same owners as Yukon and USA Standard) some years ago (about 5 I think) and RRP did the same thing as Ten Factory did with their axles.

If you ahd a warn product fail then RRP would still take care of it. And Warn premium hubs are a lifetime warranty, so it would have been very financially wise to not do so. But in the theme of customer service RRP did the right thing.

But again I AGREE fully with the fact that Ten Factory is a Great company! lots of integrity and support for our sport...

Comment

Working...
                          X