Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
    Great information. I will only add that I went for the external in-line fuel pump which I believe is the best route. Not only are they small enough to carry a spare they are much easier to change on the trail in the event of a failure.

Keep in mind that the late model 4.3 needs high gas pressure. 65psi IIRC
    Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
    I've already called a local place to see about making me a custom fuel cell. I'll probably go with an the external in-line pump. That wasy in the mean time I can still use my mechanical pump on the engine that I have, and when I put a new engine in that needs more pressure, I can just put an inline pump.
    The inline pump is a viable way to go, and I have done that myself. True, it is easier to change one out, but that also depends in part on where and how you mount the fuel cell. The in-tank pump solves or at least mitigates problems with priming, supply, lubrication, and cooling of the pump, which is why most, if not all auto makers are currently using them for EFI engines.

For your fuel cell, consider the need for baffles or even foam, including a way of getting getting the foam or baffles in and out (for removable systems). One interesting system I've been meaning to investigate involves filling the cell with open-ended plastic cylinders instead of foam. The cylinders effectively stop the slosh effect, but won't break down and clog things like foam can. If you're having one made special, make sure the fabricator is aware of the issues involved with extreme angles and fuel-slosh weight transfer.

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
    If you are interested in something a bit different, several of the US made forklifts have the 4.3 Vortec already equipped with propane. Yeah, you lose a bit of power, but with as light as the little CJ is and as good as the Vortec motor makes power you'll hardly know the difference - except in your wallet.
    Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
    Interesting, propane I've thought about that, and my main worry would be since it's a daily driver, how easy is it to find a filling station that would be willing to fill up a vehicle's tank?
    Interesting about the propane 4.3 Vortec. That could definitely simplify things. You could probably find a propane conversion kit for fairly cheap too. I've never had a propane powered vehicle, so I can't comment too much on them, but fuel starvation on angles shouldn't be a problem. You would want to make the tank(s) easily accessible and removable for refueling.

Edit:
    Found the link for where I saw those baffles:
    http://www.alltechmotorsports.com/services.html

FWIW, he also sells custom dual-pump in-tank fuel pump setups, and it happens that he talks about why he believes in-tank setups are the best. He believes that "cavitation is by far the leading cause of fuel delivery issues in racing and motorsports in general." He goes on to state that requirements for bladder style fuel cells left racers with no choice but to use an inline, external pump. He offers his product as a solution to that.
    Last edited by inVERt'D; 03-21-13, 02:02 PM. Reason: update
    holes = cowbell

Comment

I am actually working today
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
        The inline pump is a viable way to go, and I have done that myself. True, it is easier to change one out, but that also depends in part on where and how you mount the fuel cell. The in-tank pump solves or at least mitigates problems with priming, supply, lubrication, and cooling of the pump, which is why most, if not all auto makers are currently using them for EFI engines.
        All valid points which I have never had issue with going on 5 years.
        Last edited by dirtman13; 03-21-13, 02:09 PM.
        Check out .

Comment

Funny. That the pump I'm using.
          http://www.alltechmotorsports.com/accessories1.html
          Check out .

Comment

All dude's links are broken. How can you tell?

All valid points which I have never had issue with going on 5 years.
            Well that is worth something for sure.
            Last edited by inVERt'D; 03-21-13, 09:43 PM.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
              All dude's links are broken. How can you tell?
              Link works for me. This is the one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ATM-11WB392_op_622x466.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	358262
              Walbro GSL392 255lpm

High performance high pressure fuel injection pump

Good for engines up to 600 hp

Can be used inline or in tank

Made in USA
              Check out .

Comment

Link works for me. This is the one.
                High performance high pressure fuel injection pump

Good for engines up to 600 hp

Can be used inline or in tank

Made in USA
                Well now that link works for me too. Maybe my browser had an old version cached or something. Some of the other links still point to the wrong place though.

That pump is pretty reasonably priced, especially for one that claims to feed a 600hp engine. Your Ballistic joints still suck though.

Just kidding! I'm a proud Ballistic Joint user too.
                holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                X