Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Case Blues

Noticed a slight noise in my transfer case yesterday in 2wd. So I drained the oil and look what I found inside with alot of metal shavings.:oops::sad:

Any guesses before I remove the TC?
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

The dime in there probably caused it.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

Terra lo blues eh. Either go back to stock or get a fancy shiny Atlas, you're going to end up with one of those anyway.
      Looks like one of the roller bearings in it bit the dust.

Comment

I just happen to have one in the shed. Just need to swap the SYE over.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Can't get the front yoke nut off with my 3/4 impact. Got any ideas?

Comment

I've said it before. http://www.jbconversions.com/

Originally posted by curtis View Post
            Can't get the front yoke nut off with my 3/4 impact. Got any ideas?
            I had to use a breaker bar and large pipe wrench on the yoke for my 60. It worked.
            Check out .

Comment

Jam the gears by sticking it in low and high range or something like it. A good impact should buzz it right off. If you stuck red loctite on the nut, heat it a bit, either way heating the nut a bit will help

Comment

Surprised that it's barely being noticed. I put that 2006 dime in there in, well,..... 2006..
                1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Thanks Art the heat did it.Took out the bearing at the end of input shaft in the planetary gear

The planetary gears looks good except for the bearing race. and the input shaft (SYE) is not well.

Will take out the planetary gears tomorrow and see what's up.

Comment

Check the bearings of the satellite gears carefully, that's the one thing that likes to fail due to unequal loading of the gears.
                    Atleast that's what failed on mine and Terra admitted that the unequal loading of those gears caused that

Comment

Well the tera low is off to teraflex for a complete rebuild. So do I sell it or keep it till it breaks again when I get it back?:confused2:doh

Comment

Sell it, since they raised the new price of those things you might actually get close to what you paid for it and then spend some dough and get a pretty shiny Atlas and be ever so happy

Comment

Well after 2 days of some interesting conversations they are going to rebuild it for less than half what I paid for it 6 years ago at the pomona offroad show.

I have not owned an Atlas for over 15 years. Are they still noisy on the Hwy? That was the only thing I didn't like.

Comment

Mine sure ain't noisy.
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

My atlas seems a lot noisier than the NP231. Granted I'm comparing apples and oranges. I hear a lot more drivetrain noise (rolling marbles) in my new Jeep than I did in my old one. To me, it sounds like transmission or transfer case noise, and the transmissions are the same in both Jeeps, so I blame the transfer case.
                              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X