Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: hp30

After receiving some bad news from an alignment shop about my Lp30 on the TJ, I've decided to research throwing in a HP30. I'm sure a lot of you guys have done it and want some opinions.
    1st off, I'm not a competition rock crawler. I do enjoy taking it out and trying difficult trails but nothing much more than say, Motino, Dishpan, john bull, TDS, etc. Not into deliberate damage anymore.

With that said I think it would be most economical to do the HP30 switch. My 30 is build with an ARB and a warn hub kit. I think I would like to keep those and get inner warn axles, inner sleeves, knuckle braces and better brackets on the hp. Basically rebuilt the housing/beef it up and throw what I can back at it. Would like 48's this time over the 4:56's I have now..

A question: The ARB I currently have now, its for a 27 spline. If I go to a 30 spline do I have to get a different ARB or is it irrelevant ? If so I'll be going detroit. Also does Warn even make a 30 spline 5x4.5 axle for the hub kit set up?

Anyone have a HP30 for sale?
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

If you're not having any problems with your current 27 spline axles... I wouldn't go through the expense to get new hubs and locker. ( baasically building an entire axle )

I have a HP44 with the TJ stock unit bearings and 27 spline outers with 35s. I've run the hammers once with no axle problems.

Comment

You can't use a 27spl ARB with 30spl axles. I've been toying with lots of ideas on how to polish my new HP30, including going 30spl, but I'm doubting that's the best wtg. I now have 3 sets of D30 27spl shafts with the 297/760 yokes. They're easy to find and they work with my beautifully cheap little Aussie Locker. If you'd consider swapping your ARB for a detroit, consider that your used ARB could buy you a complete HP30 and lunchbox locker with money left over for beef material (DOM, etc.). Detroits have build a reputation of grenading after an axle or u-joint lets go. Sounds like a recipe for disaster in a D30.

Since I'm sitting here waiting for a phone call, how about story time? Once upon a time, a friend of mine had a TJ with a LP D30 and a PowerTrax lunchbox locker. I don't recall the circumstances, but he made that poor little 30 housing deflect enough that the pinion gear ran over the middle part of the carrier. The carrier was pretty chewed up, as was one end of the cross-shaft. His PowerTrax locker, however, only got a minor nick. I sold it for him on eBay for $150 after he upgraded to a Ford HP44. I don't know how an ARB or Detroit carrier would hold up to that compared to the stock carrier. Better, I'm sure, but likely damaged. At any rate, some food for thought, perhaps.
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Dan, I gave him a quote for basically the same axle I built you... I think there was a lil sticker shock, but he seemed to like the idea :-)
        *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

that was before your offer

Comment

I had sticker shock too but I also had a good LPD44 with the factory Rubi locker to sell. This helped to offset the cost a bit. The Currie housing has thicker tubes than the stock Rubi setup so I saw no need to sleeve it or anything. I did my own brackets too so that might have cut the cost down a bit too.

Comment

Well around 100 bucks for a housing, some coin for front and rear gears, re use your axle shafts, spend a bit of time with some steel and a welder and you are ready to go wheelin again. Sounds like a nobrainer to me

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
                that was before your offer
                Cryptic

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                Well around 100 bucks for a housing, some coin for front and rear gears, re use your axle shafts, spend a bit of time with some steel and a welder and you are ready to go wheelin again. Sounds like a nobrainer to me
                The pull of the dark side is strong.

Here's a bolt-on option:
                http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3186624034.html
                holes = cowbell

Comment

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3186624034.html

One of those is a low pinion the other is what you want

Comment

Yup. I already got the 2" .250 wall dom for mine. Better to have a HP30 with money in your pocket than a 609 with a bunch of debt.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

You should be able to swap out your side gears ,in the ARB, to accept 30spl shafts. Thats what I did with a D35 ARB. Give'm a call and ask. It was only about 150 bucks. Make sure you get a seal kit as well, if you do it. Also, if your do'n that much to it. I'd say get RCV's. There're alot more, but the warranty can't be beat, not that you'd ever need it, most likely. Don't bother with 30spl outers on the RCV's. The 27 outers work just fine, with my 35" tires. With all the other stuff you mentioned, this would give you a damn, sturdy D30.
                      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
                        You should be able to swap out your side gears ,in the ARB, to accept 30spl shafts.
                        Great tip. I was wondering about that. Have no plans of getting an ARB, but you never know. For $1000 I could be almost 1/2 way into building a 609 or some some such hybrid. With some of the housings and carriers coming out, there are some tantalizing possibilities indeed. :drool:

NoooOO!! Must.....resist.....darrrk.side.....
                        holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                          NoooOO!! Must.....resist.....darrrk.side.....
                          I wish I had the equipment and skill to join the darkside. Resistance is futile!:devil:

Comment

Been resisting the Dark Side I have for some time Master Luke. Force is strong. Hp44 runs deep in my thoughts it does.

Comment

Jeep nerds. Hahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X