Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearing Discussion

Lol needs lower gearing or that clutch is gonna smoke in time :-)

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
    Lol needs lower gearing or that clutch is gonna smoke in time :-)
    gearing in transfer case or axles?

Comment

What ever gives you the needed crawl ratio in low range. 4:1 transfercase will go a long way towards getting there.
      Makes rolling up and over rocks and ledges so much easier, no clutching needed, just a little bit of throttle and up she goes

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
        What ever gives you the needed crawl ratio in low range. 4:1 transfercase will go a long way towards getting there.
        Makes rolling up and over rocks and ledges so much easier, no clutching needed, just a little bit of throttle and up she goes
        what kind of 4:1 ratio transfer case to you recommend that will easily bolt right in , if here is such a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by clg82 View Post
          what kind of 4:1 ratio transfer case to you recommend that will easily bolt right in , if here is such a thing.
          Three solutions here:
          1: Atlas or STaK make some really awesome cases, but can cost $$ not only for the transfer case, but also in the install. The most involved solution, way too many details to get in to here.

2: The NP241J out of a 03-06 rubicon is a more bolt on ready solution, still have different yoke outputs to deal with and some speedo/4x4 light minor mods. This is the middle of the road solution, can be done for under $2k if you have patience and do most of the work yourself. Toughest part is find a good used or rebuilt t case.

3: Tera low kit for your np231. "bolt on" if your don't mind tearing apart your current transfer case. Depending on who you walk to this may not bethe most reliable mod, some guys have beat on them with no problems, other are not so lucky. Easiest cheapest way to get 4:1, plus you can get 2wd low
          "A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools" -Thucydides

Comment

Pretty much the above NP 241 would be best and easiest choice.

For the money an ATlas 4:1 or 5:1 2 speed transfer case or for those with bigger pockets the 4 speed transfercase is the cat's pajamas.

Last choice would be Terra lo, it gets the job done but shifting back and forth so you do not over run the planetaries gets old quick.
            Nor is it the most reliable option. For what they charge for those now, I would save up a bit more coin and get either the Rubicon transfercase or the Atlas latter one is more work to install but well worth the effort.

Comment

How do I move this to the discussion forum?

Comment

Originally posted by SkylarM View Post
                Ask a mod!
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by SkylarM View Post
                  Isn't this the right place for this kind of discussion? Move it if you wish. Don't matter to me.
                  Art, nice work!

I am with Art on the TeraLow. I have one and it is a damn nice improvement that I did in my garage in a few hours (Twice! Just hope that yours dies before the warranty expires). But if I had it to do over, I'd explore the ultimate options (Altas, Stak, Klune). Next time I think that I will do it once and be done.

But which one?
                  [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                  Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Isn't this the right place for this kind of discussion? Move it if you wish. Don't matter to me.
                    Art, nice work!

I am with Art on the TeraLow. I have one and it is a damn nice improvement that I did in my garage in a few hours (Twice! Just hope that yours dies before the warranty expires). But if I had it to do over, I'd explore the ultimate options (Altas, Stak, Klune). Next time I think that I will do it once and be done.

But which one?

Atlas rules in my book, to many problems with Stack transfer cases. Klune is nice but the Dana 20 transfercase doesn't sound like the best thing to mate to it. NV241 or an Atlas is where it's at in my book with the Atlas being my first choice.

Comment

Unless your going to do a Stak replace a case I would avoid them. Atlas are badass and tons of $$$. I went with a stock d300 and slowly built it. Probably not an option for you but you can do the same thing with a NV or NP. I highly recommend JB Conversions.I have had zero issues and would do the same thing again.
                      Check out .

Comment

I found a cost effective way to get an atlas. Buy a built Jeep that already has one!
                        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Lots of good comments here. I just went through all of this. I tried to go the "cost effective" route because I am too cheap to buy an Atlas. I went with the Klune and Dana 20 instead. For a set up that was supposed to cost me about $2,000... it ended up being close to $5,500 after all was said and done. Customized solutions take a lot of tweeking and nothing ever "fits right in" so that takes time. If you are doing the work yourself that is all good, however if you are paying a shop to do that work... that extra time and labor for tweeking your custom set up gets expensive fast. Not to mention the time it takes to rip everything out once you are finshed and realized something wasn't put together properly inside the TCase when you had it rebuilt the first time... etc...

All the aforementioned being said... i am VERY pleased with my finished results. Very similar to a 4 speed Atlas. So... i would say if you are going to do it.. and want to do it once... vs twice... spend the money once... get the 4 speed Atlas and never look back.

my 2 cents.

Broke YJ.

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
                            Lots of good comments here. I just went through all of this. I tried to go the "cost effective" route because I am too cheap to buy an Atlas. I went with the Klune and Dana 20 instead. For a set up that was supposed to cost me about $2,000... it ended up being close to $5,500 after all was said and done. Customized solutions take a lot of tweeking and nothing ever "fits right in" so that takes time. If you are doing the work yourself that is all good, however if you are paying a shop to do that work... that extra time and labor for tweeking your custom set up gets expensive fast. Not to mention the time it takes to rip everything out once you are finshed and realized something wasn't put together properly inside the TCase when you had it rebuilt the first time... etc...

All the aforementioned being said... i am VERY pleased with my finished results. Very similar to a 4 speed Atlas. So... i would say if you are going to do it.. and want to do it once... vs twice... spend the money once... get the 4 speed Atlas and never look back.

my 2 cents.

Broke YJ.
                            That's a pretty good way of putting it Skeeter. You better sell some more of your financial advise so you are not so broke lol.
                            I am sure your Jeep can think of more stuff it likes to get put on

Comment

There is another option . Dont forget an automatic trans effectively doubles any existing crawl ratio because of the torque converter. I just spent an hour doing the math and different scenarios and writing up a nice informational essay and when I went to post it I was loged out and lost it all. Oh well! heres the short version. By doing aw4 trans(92-2001 cherokee 4speed automatic od transmission) swap with a 231tc your crawl ratio is ~70:1 with 4.56 gears which is pretty much the same cr as doing a 241tc swap with an ax15 (which is what I have now and best mod to date).General opinion is that a 70:1 crawl ratio is ideal for rock crawling and 100:1 is good for extreme rock crawling. Now coupling a 4:1 tc with a aw4 will give just over 100:1 cr with 4.56 gears. Sounds like thats a pretty good other option if you ask me. Granted its a little more involved than just swapping out a 241tc but imho going to an auto is win win in my book.
                              Last edited by Jeeperator; 05-23-12, 06:14 AM. Reason: add year

Comment

Working...
                              X