Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubicon Air Compressor?

Ok i have a D44 form an 03-06 Rubicon. I have it wired to a switch in my Jeep and the locker works.

My ? is, I know the compressor is supposed to turn off when the 5-8 psi is built up in the locker then turn off. Mine does not turn off, but like i said it completely locks up.

I checked all of the air lines which are new for leaks and there are no leaks.

Any ideas or is this common with these compressors or lockers?

My compressors only run for about a second then they turn off.
    You have a small rubber hose inside the diff. maybe you have a leak in it.
    04 Rubi
    00 XJ

Comment

yea, I'd check for a leak. Mine had a leak on the hose going to the diff, the front would lock but the compressor would stay on. I think I just took some good tape and put several layers of tape over the leaking area, that fixed it.

Run your hand the full length of the hose, you should be able to feel the leak.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
        yea, I'd check for a leak. Mine had a leak on the hose going to the diff, the front would lock but the compressor would stay on. I think I just took some good tape and put several layers of tape over the leaking area, that fixed it.

Run your hand the full length of the hose, you should be able to feel the leak.

I have the same problem with my ARBs. Can't get it to stop running when I use my lockers.
        Last edited by I H8RDS; 01-25-12, 04:51 PM.
        Jeep Girl

Comment

When mine started giving me trouble, I pinched the line near the compressor and it shut off. Pinched it at the diff and it still ran. Did that a few more times and I was able to narrow it down to an area just in front of my pump.
          Come to the dark side.....
          We have Cookies!

Comment

Ok I will try that and see if it works.

Comment

If you spray or sponge, soappy water along the air hose. The leak will make bubbles. Also your pressure regulator may be malfunctioning, or not set right. The pressure may not be getting high enough to activate the pressure switch, to shut it off, or it may be broke and just wont shut off.
              It was like that when I got here.

Comment

I wish some of you guys were closer so I could figure this stuff out and not have to take it into a shop so much!
                Jeep Girl

Comment

No wheelin buds with two right hands in your neck of the woods? ARB's are a different animal than the Rubicon lockers.
                  Basic problem is the same though, you gots a air leak somewhere. Start by figuring out if it is caused by just one locker.
                  Which locker causes the compressor to run the most, front or rear?

Comment

Front...and there's nobody around here who has no other choice but to charge me $600. Most of you guys I wheel with live a couple hours from me. The guys I wheel with around here don't know enough about it. They do basic maintenance for the most part. Nothing too specialized. For the cash I paid for these ARB's; I have to say, it hasn't been worth the headaches!
                    Jeep Girl

Comment

Originally posted by I H8RDS View Post
                      Front...and there's nobody around here who has no other choice but to charge me $600. Most of you guys I wheel with live a couple hours from me. The guys I wheel with around here don't know enough about it. They do basic maintenance for the most part. Nothing too specialized. For the cash I paid for these ARB's; I have to say, it hasn't been worth the headaches!
                      600 bucks to pull the carrier out and find the airleak or replace the seals in the ARB air housing is highway robbery

Comment

Well sometimes the leak is inside the diff, they really do a crappy job when they assemble them. You'll find it sooner or later.
                        Snoopy

Comment

I have the same problem with my ARBs. Can't get it to stop running when I use my lockers.
                          my cheap tape solution might not work for the ARB lines, the rubicon pumps only push a few psi (4psi?) the ARBs do a whole lot more than that (like 90psi?) you might need a more sturdy repair on the tube than just tape. I like the rubi pumps like that, they are super quiet (can barely hear them turn on even if the engine isn't running) and they don't need to push much psi.
                          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                          www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                            600 bucks to pull the carrier out and find the airleak or replace the seals in the ARB air housing is highway robbery
                            It's been apart and have replaced seals etc..the $600 is for a shop that only does drive lines, nothing else. Pricey, but I know they'd probably finally get it fixed. Otherwise I'm looking at burning my compressor up. Just a matter of time.
                            Jeep Girl

Comment

It's been apart and have replaced seals etc..the $600 is for a shop that only does drive lines, nothing else. Pricey, but I know they'd probably finally get it fixed. Otherwise I'm looking at burning my compressor up. Just a matter of time.
                              For something that would take at the most 3 hours labor, 600 bucks is way excessive. Find a way to cap the blue plastic line at the axle and see if the compressor stops running, meaning that the air leak would be inside the diff.

Comment

Working...
                              X