Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
    It is in your head Joe. It's a Jeep, not the space shuttle, so don't let it ruin your fun. Enjoy it and if something breaks, fix it and then enjoy it some more.
    I think you are right . . . I'm going to check with AAA to see if they have an unlimited milage tow policy or something, I think right now it's like 100 miles which isn't quite enough for some of my trips. After that I just need to turn up the radio and if it breaks it breaks . . . at least I don't have a car payment!
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

You need to pull the cover and see if there is any visual issues on the ring gear, and/or metal in the oil. Very well could be a bearing going out.... either pinion or the carrier bearings, need to check it out, if it seizes up and goes bang you will have a much more expensive repair, no to mention it could cause an accident if it goes bang while your driving at higher speeds.
      '04 Yellow Rubicon on 40's with 1 Ton's!
      President - Rubicon4WDA

Comment

I would just take the fill plug out and check for silvery/ metalic oil if that's cool and it doesn't howl or growl, I would leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          I would just take the fill plug out and check for silvery/ metalic oil if that's cool and it doesn't howl or growl, I would leave it alone.
          I'll pull the plugs and see what it looks like, pulled the front one and didn't notice metalic oil or shavings on the magnet . . . it did seem to have more fluid in it that I recall putting in and as soon as I pulled the plug fluid surprised me when it flowed out, but it was still nice and purple like it just came out of the RP bottle . . . I serviced the diffs a little over a year ago and only have about 5k miles on the clock since doing so. I'll check the rear too. I don't know if I'd call it a howl or growl but it's not a click, bang, clunk, etc. I've had a couple buddies ride in the Jeep and asked them, do you hear that noise, and both didn't know what I was referring to. "No not the squeek, that's the trackbar . . . no not that that's just the normal sound it makes"!

Comment

Seems to me it's time to go enjoy your trip and stop worrying.

Comment

First thing I would do is take Art's advice!
              God forgives, rocks don't
              -sons of thunder

Comment

Maybe the Jeep is jealous of the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
                  I think that's the problem!!! Well I made it back . . . another 800 mile trip logged. That's the 2nd 800 mile trip in the last couple months and I don't notice that the noise is any worse now compared to back when I first noticed it, so I guess I'm just going to keep driving the Jeep and not worry about it. I'm starting to think maybe it's time to throw on the tube doors and a bikini top and I probably won't hear it anymore!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
                    Now I really believe it!!! So I dropped the dirt bike off for some work on Sat and decided to finally wash the Jeep and get her ready for summer, took off the top, put on the tube doors, I even waxed her as it had been a while and even after a good wash, she wasn't looking great. I made sure to hose everything off underneath pretty good. Sounds way better now . . . I'd even swear that she's running better!!! Maybe she just needed some TLC and was ready for her summer outfit!

Comment

Thanks God I found this topic and answers for my questions...
                      Last edited by WildRoadBuster; 09-11-20, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X