Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Front Diff Noise - Rubi D44

Not sure if this is normal or not. Started hearing a faint rotational noise at slow speed . . . sounds like it's coming from the front end. Ruled out the driveshafts . . . both have been pulled separately and the noise remained. Today I jacked up the front end and when I spin the tires I hear a slight clicking type noise, not a grind or a squeek, I think it is coming from the diff, as it made the noise if I spun the one tire and kept the other still and it also made the noise holding the driveshaft still and spinning the driver tire. Is it normal to have a bit of noise when spinning the tires or should it be dead quiet?
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Here's a bit of information... Hope it helps.

http://www.ringpinion.com/ContentFra...e_(Part_1).inc

http://www.ringpinion.com/ContentFra...e_(Part_2).inc
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

Thanks . . . good info for sure . . . at this point the noise is so subtle, I'm just not sure if I'm worrying over nothing. No clunking, banging, grinding, the 2nd link mentions a clicking coasting down to a stop at speeds under 20 which sounds closest to what I'm hearing, but I hear it coasting, accelerating, and decelerating with a load, but I wouldn't really consider it to be a pronouced "click" sound, more of a rattle mixed with a flutter. Need to drive up North, about 800 miles round trip . . . a little nervous . . . I have the 100 mile coverage with AAA but will be out of my comfort zone.
      Last edited by Schmo; 03-13-11, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
        Thanks . . . good info for sure . . . at this point the noise is so subtle, I'm just not sure if I'm worrying over nothing. No clunking, banging, grinding, the 2nd link mentions a clicking coasting down to a stop at speeds under 20 which sounds closest to what I'm hearing, but I hear it coasting, accelerating, and decelerating with a load, but I wouldn't really consider it to be a pronouced "click" sound, more of a rattle mixed with a flutter. Need to drive up North, about 800 miles round trip . . . a little nervous . . . I have the 100 mile coverage with AAA but will be out of my comfort zone.
        How about the unit bearings?
        sometimes they click a little when they get some miles on them.
        also check the pinion yoke nut and make sure its tight.
        It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Drove it again and clicking is not a good description . . . sounds more like there are pebbles rattling around in something as it spins . . . it's a very subtle noise. I have to take a trip next week and will be putting some big miles on the Jeep so I'm hoping it's nothing or will probably find out soon enough. Wish me luck!!!

Comment

Could be a bad cat. This is what it sounds like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMAunMXdo8M
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOAZuLV0N0E&NR=1
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
              Just had the cat replaced maybe 5K ago . . . and it only makes the noise when rolling.

Comment

When was the last time you greased the driveshaft u-joints and slip yokes?
                God forgives, rocks don't
                -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                  When was the last time you greased the driveshaft u-joints and slip yokes?
                  A couple months and less than 1000 miles ago . . . I started noticing the noise around that time and ruled out the DSs as it continued with each removed.

Comment

When was the last time you had the cover off, and did a inspection, just to make sure all is ok.
                    06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                    07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Made it back from my trip . . . 800 miles round trip and the Jeep didn't blow up!!! I really don't have a clue what I'm hearing . . . nothing I've read really sounds like what I have. I'm thinking I might need an alignment and maybe it would be a good idea to balance a couple of the tires as it's been a couple years. Seems like the Jeep is just all around louder than it used to be rolling down the road . . . could just be my tires getting worn and making road noise I guess. The noise that has me worried is when I'm rolling between 5-20 mph . . . not a clunk, click, bang, etc . . . just a noise that I can't identify. Maybe I just need to stop worrying about it, turn the radio up and drive it til it breaks . . . at least the big trip is over and I made it back under my own power and not on the back of a wrecker!

Comment

My rearend was making a noise on my Rubi. After opening up the diff I found two chipped teeth on the pinion.
                        Build it right the first time.

Comment

Ever figure out what was making the noise?

I had a faint squeek in mine last year, sounded like it was coming from the right front. It only squeeked once in awhile on a trail. I jacked it up and spinned the wheel several times. Never could figure it out.

I crawled under to look it over again the other day. The left front was missing a axle joint cap and the axle was all loose inside the housing, oil leaking from right and left seals. Must of just came apart because i look it over every weekend. Anyways I barrowed a trailer and dropped it off at the dealership today.

I'm hoping they cover it under my 7/70 warranty, fingers crossed. Mines a 05 also, only has 46k miles on it.

Comment

Nope, still haven't figured it out . . . have another 800 mile trip to take next week so fingers crossed that it holds up. Nothing is leaking . . . I just don't know what to think. I hardly drive the Jeep anymore . . . starting to consider selling it, but don't want my van to be my only auto, and have no desire to get a Accord or some lame car that I don't like . . . a Porsche would be fun, but over the last nine months since I bought the dirtbike, I haven't been doing much other than dirtbiking and the Jeep and Harley are sitting collecting dust . . . I don't see the point in getting something else for it to just sit too. Chances are I'll get hurt on the bike one of these days and will enjoy being able to get out in the Jeep again, but for the time being, I'm a bit frustrated/tired of the thing as I just have in the back of my mind that something is wrong with it . . . it's probably just in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                              I'm a bit frustrated/tired of the thing as I just have in the back of my mind that something is wrong with it . . . it's probably just in my head.
                              It is in your head Joe. It's a Jeep, not the space shuttle, so don't let it ruin your fun. Enjoy it and if something breaks, fix it and then enjoy it some more.
                              [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X