Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SM465 front seal leak.

This morning I pulled the transmission out of my buddies 1986 K10 because it was leaking gear oil from the seam where the transmission mates to the bell housing, but not into the bell housing. I replaced the seal which looked like it was in good shape. I put it all back together and it is still leaking. This is a MAJOR leak too. I started the truck up for about ten seconds and shut it right off. In that ten seconds I must have lost an 1/8 a quart of gear oil. I used the red hi-temp RTV and cleaned it up the surfaces.

Any idea what could be causing such a fast leak?
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

could the leak be coming from the top cover mating surface?

Comment

I pulled the tranny again today. It was so dirty I didnt even see this lower cover for the the countershaft. I feel stupid now. Last time i didnt even slide it put from under the truck. I am still going to chuck the input shaft up to my drill and spin ait to see where the oil is coming out. If this doesn't work I am going to have a truck for sale as is.

Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

If the input bearing is shot, the shaft will kill the seal. Just something to check before wrestling it again.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
        X