Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ax5 trans problem

i have 1 2 5 and reverse. but no 3 or 4. i think the clutch is oil soacked if not any suggestions?

94 should be AX-15. Can it go into the positions of 3-4? When the synchro keys on the AX-15 break, it will cause binding that won't allow it to shift into position. I found this out when I rebuilt mine. I was having trouble getting into 3rd. I ordered a rebuild kit (bearings, synchros and seals). When I got it apart is when I found that the keys are not included. That's what was broke. It was cheaper to have a set overnighted from JC Whitney than to get them from a local tranny shop.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

isn't the ax5 for the 4cyl and the ax15 for the 6? but yes it can go into 3 4 fine i was driving and it just sounded like i pushed the clutch in and reved it in 3rd. i put it in 3rd and it didnt grab. i down shifted and it went into 2 and popped out then i put it back into 2 andit was fine

Comment

You are correct AX-5 is for the 4 cylinder version. This is typical failure for the ax-5. It will need to be torn down and inspected for needs.

Let me know if you need anything.... I rebuild them all of the time.
        offroadwerkz.com
        (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

If you want to upgrade to the ax-15 I have one in my garage that is in need of a rebuild. It has the internal slave style bellhousing but that can be swapped of the external for another upgrade.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I asked the trans guy at work and he just laughed at me and said its about time. But I'll let you guys know, thank-you

Comment

Originally posted by fun4wheelerguy View Post
              You are correct AX-5 is for the 4 cylinder version. This is typical failure for the ax-5. It will need to be torn down and inspected for needs.

Let me know if you need anything.... I rebuild them all of the time.
              I tore down and inspected it. The 3/4 hub is by problem. Where can I find just the hub? I found the seals and had the parts guy order them and the synchros as well. He just couldn't find the hub

Comment

Check transtar industries. They have warehouses in southern California.
                God forgives, rocks don't
                -sons of thunder

Comment

Thank you

Comment

By any chance do you guys have a diagram of the trans just for references or know where I can find one?
                    Thanks in advance

Comment

Not sure if this will work for you but here you go.
                      http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-tr...in-ax4-ax5.htm
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                      X