Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have to make it smog legal and did you get the whole truck to piece out?
    I'm asking because I've been involved in a number of conversions, latest one being a 2003 4.3, 4L60 auto going into an 84 Toyota PU. This one has to be smogged when were done.
    Oh yea...starting in 03 GM changed a few things internally. More horse power, torque and a roller cam (cam could be a year earlier). Over all nice motor.
    Last edited by Zoobi; 04-25-10, 07:21 AM.
    Come to the dark side.....
    We have Cookies!

Comment

Dont know how the smog regs are in CO, but here in CA, you need a complete engine with emmisions from the same year or newer as the vehicle. In CA you will need to see a smog referee, I would advise talking with him before you start your swap. Make sure its something they would approve.
      An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Where I live in on the western slope of Colorado we don't have any type of smog or noise restrictions. My jeep has a flow master muffler and that's about it. My 4.3 is an 07 and I'm really looking forward to the boost in HP, torque, and reliability over the old 304. Which by the way some guy is determined to buy from me even though I told him it's a piece.
        '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Comment

No smog is a plus. I cant tell you if your intake is compatible with an older throttle body without fly by wire but before you sink a bunch of money into it you want to find out.
          The people I use for my harness's and pcm programming is Howell Fuel Injection. They have some of the best customer service I have seen yet. They didnt make a harness for the project I'm doing now but they made one for my application and shipped it with a pre programmed pcm.
          Your going to want a stand alone system and they may be able to do it with the fly by wire. I would call them and tell them what you have and see what they say.

http://www.howellefi.com/customer/

Zoobi
          Come to the dark side.....
          We have Cookies!

Comment

Update... Couldn't get the computer programed for the motor without a traditional distributor so I have to change that. Not a big deal $50 brand new. Motor is in jeep waiting on distributor and wiring harness to show up. Would have better off with a motor from '00-'05. But it looks like I will still end up with an '07 with 27,000 miles running in my jeep, fingers crossed.
            '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Comment

New throttle body has different bolt pattern so I had to change the plastic intake manifold. Only $15 this is becoming a franken motor but, I think it is still going to be really nice.

Comment

Working...
              X