Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D30 minor differences in axles87-89

Finished installing the 4.10's in the d44, installing the lockright in the d30, and swapping the complete d30 for the 4.10 geared unit( was cheaper/easier than getting new gears).

Found a minor difference in the front axles one i pulled was original 87, the one i installed is an 89. The brake rotors will not swap from one to another, becuase the mounting flange for the brake rotor is slightly larger on the 89.

Just thought that if anyone is going to hunt junkyard axleshafts for replacement they might like to know about the little hangup i ran into.
    "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

The axles are not different, the unit bearing is what is probably different. The flange on the unit bearing is different.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

ahh true enough, didnt even think to dissamble them further considering i had both complete axles right next to me.

ran into more issues with the brakes after that though. found the calipers and the knuckles were different on both the axles, had to modify the calipers from the 89 axle to work with my 87 brake lines. was unable to use the 87 pads or calipers on the 89 knuckle. kinda sux to not be able to use brakes that only have 1500miles on them.

Comment

the knuckles, unit bearings and caliper/rotor go as a set.

You can use whatever year you want, but you need to stick to the same year parts from the balljoints out....
        An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

I have an early unit bearing you can have if you want to pick up
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Oh i had made it all work back when i posted. Just posted it up so others had a heads up. thanks for the offer though.

Comment

Working...
            X