Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stroking it!

you sick, sick pervert :yawn:

i got a credit card limit increase... so naturally i'm going to run it right back up

Here's the plan so far:

Accurate Pistons $600.00 (or maybe not... rick?)
    Accurate rings 58.75
    NAPA Crank (PRR25300) 210.00
    Summit Sealed Power Gasket kit (SLP-2601424) 74.39
    AutoZone Melling Oil Pump (M167HVS) 53.99
    Summit Cloyes Timing set (CLO-9-3127) 106.69
    Accurate Timing tensioner 9.00
    Summit Crane cam & lifters (CRN-753901 & CRN-9927812) 178.87
    Summit Crane valve springs (CRN-99833-12) 52.39
    Summit Sealed Power freeze plugs (SLP-3818084) 16.69
    Summit Mopar pushrods (DCC-4529675) 16.39
    Accurate head bolts 56.65
    Flowkooler water pump (BRA-1747) 102.39

reusing stock 4.0L "long" con rods

sound good? any room for improvement? i've been doing my homework on NAXJA and on the strokers yahoo list, and this seems like it's going to work pretty well with a .030" over block and mild head work. Gotta keep the smog nazis happy too

i'll post pics as I build this puppy up over the next several weeks (still waiting for the block to come back from the machine shop )

thanks-
    Chuck
    :hat:

What about a stock 258 Crank and rods? I *think* thats what I was going to do. If I remember, its the same crank, just longer stroke. It might save a little.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

The crank Chuck is using is a 258 crank. The 258 crank is 3.9" stroke, and the 258 rods are 5.875" long. Stock 4.0L rods are 6.125" long, which makes the piston top higher than the deck at TDC. Thus, you need a custom piston with a higher pin location. Using stock 258 5.875" rods increases the quench hieght to 0.081" (I think 0.051" is stock on a 4.0), resulting in higher emissions, not as much power, higher fuel consumption, and prone to detonation. If the block is milled to restore the quench height to closer to stock, the combustion volume is decreased even further, resulting in close to 10:1 compression, requiring high octane fuel and ECU remapping. Hence, the custom piston which allows use of the longer 4.0 rods. It is possible to increase the combustion chamber volume to help reduce the CR, but this also costs money unless you are into cc-ing heads yourself and using a die grinder very very carefully. Thus, the real cost of the custom pistons is the difference in cost between purchasing stock 4.0 pistons and 258 rods, assuming you have good 4.0 rods to mount the custom pistons on:

Short 258 rods + stock 4.0 piston = $350

Custom pistons + reuse 4.0 rods = $550
      Difference = $200

The longer 4.0 rod also results in a higher, more desirable rod ratio. This is not really a major concern in an engine with a redline of ~5,000 rpm, but what works on a race engine just makes a lower rpm engine last longer. Custom JE pistons are $550 a set, possibly lower if I buy more than one set. The machine shop I use would probably not feel good about ordering you pistons though Chuck unless they look at the block. They don't like doing things twice

rick
      1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
      My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

what rick said i'm using a 258 crank, 242 rods, and custom pistons with a higher pin height. i haven't decked the block at all; assuming it was flat when I took it to the machine shop. if it's not, then it'll likely have .010 taken off. I'll likely shave the head (which is also getting rebuilt) a little, then use a thinner than stock head gasket to bump up the CR a bit. I'm looking at ~9.5:1 right now (actually more like 9.45:1 ) throw in a mild cam with a little more lift & duration, and viola! that's my new engine.

also getting all new/reconditioned goodies- high volume water & oil pump, distributor, harmonic dampener, H.O. alternator, etc.

good stuff!
        Last edited by cbremer; 03-11-04, 05:14 PM.

Comment

rick says don't get a high volume oil pump.
          use a stock one!
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
            rick says don't get a high volume oil pump.
            use a stock one!
            Why?:confused:
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

and we're under way...

the color is AMC blue since I took the pics, i got the crank and cam installed, and discovered that all but one of the mains are slightly bigger than spec, so now i'm waiting on the next undersize bearings the crank was 'reconditioned' and all journals were turned .010" smaller than factory. that, combined with the hone job at the machine shop, made the journals too big. the service manual says I can mix bearing sizes, so i'm going to use the .010" undersize on top, and .020" in the caps, tightening up clearance by .005", putting them all into spec.... hopefully

pistons are due to arrive on Tuesday, and the head's being rebuilt as we speak! yay

Comment

Originally posted by cbremer
                the service manual says I can mix bearing sizes, so i'm going to use the .010" undersize on top, and .020" in the caps, tightening up clearance by .005", putting them all into spec.... hopefully
                So the hole is out of round? That doesnt sound good. are you using plasti-gauge to check the clearence?
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                  So the hole is out of round? That doesnt sound good. are you using plasti-gauge to check the clearence?
                  yup... used plastigage. i know what you mean about that method leaving the mains out of round... but the manual says it's OK :confused:

i'll try using all .020" bearings- maybe it'll be a little tight, but within spec. at least that way they'll all be round

Comment

Yeah, I'd try all the same bearings, just to see if they are in spec. I've never heard of using different size bearings top and bottom. Sounds eff'd up to me :confused:
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Sounds bad to me also... I always thought bearings were matched to one another.

There was much debate and many posts in several forums a couple years ago when I built my 258 about hi-vol oil pumps and problems with everything from priming to life of the pump. I had a hi-vol pump the first time I rebuilt the 258 and I had priming problems for the first two oil changes. I put a stock pump in it after the second rebuild and then I had priming problems because I had the wrong oil pickup tube, but the pump was fine after correcting that problem.

Nice looking engine Chuck.
                      1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                      My Jeep

Comment

What bearing clearance are you shooting for in the swapping/mixing of oversizes? If they are all 0.002 - 0.0025, you are sittin in tall cotton... I wouldn't make them tighter. I think factory specs are a ridiculously tight 0.001-0.0015 or something. This is too tight in my opinion. The only difference you will see is in the oil pressure at idle. My mains are 0.0025" on the nose and I run 15-20 psi at idle, then it jumps up immediately off idle to 30-50 depending on rpm and temperature. If the lower oil pressure bothers you, just run 10W-50 oil. I get 20-25 psi at idle with the thick stuff. The larger bearing clearances help protect the bearings under high loads, particularly at low-medium rpm where harmonics and high torque can deform the crank slightly. This is particularly true of a high torque, low rpm six cylinder with inherent vibration issues like a stroker. These engines have a high rotating inertia, so once they are spun up to higher rpms the damper and flywheel actually do very little to smooth things out enough to where the bearing loads are more even, as is the case in most 4 and 8 cylinder engines where the rotating masses are in opposition during most of the crank cycle. This is where tight bearings can eat your lunch. One mishap at higher rpms and that 0.0015" will disappear very quickly and send metal flying. The more oil that flows between the bearing and the journal, the more heat transfer occurs between the metal surfaces. Of course, this is only true up to a point (I'm sure 0.05" clearances are not good), but if 0.0025 is good enough for a big block chevy on nitrous putting down 800 hp, it's good enough for me. Just my $0.02.
                        My Jeep

Comment

just one question... what the heck are you guys talking about???:confused: j/k man, I know so little about building engines.:yay:
                          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

that is a nice looking block you have there.. how is progress? did you resolve the bearing issues?:oink:
                            [COLOR=Navy]12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=3]12345678901

Comment

.020 undersize main bearings were delivered this week, and i'll be (re) installing the crank over the weekend.

got the head back from the machine shop too i suppose i'll give the ports a once-over with a Dremel too.

the FSM recommends .002" clearance, but .001-.0025" is acceptable. i was getting >.003" on all the mains (some as high as .004"). this is really all that I was waiting on... now I can really get crackin' on assembly

p.s.: I just ordered this beauty:

it's on backorder, but I'm pretty patient :yawn:

Comment

Working...
                              X