Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spooled front end?

Does anyone know if they make a Dana 30 spool? Does anyone have one and how do you like it?
    Drew
    95yj Six Pack

Made my own with a stick welder on my CJ-5, back in the mid 70's. Everyone should run a spooled front end - once

(practice unlocking front hubs under load)
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
      Everyone should run a spooled front end - once

(practice unlocking front hubs under load)
      Can I get an AMEN BROTHER?!
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Fortunately, D30 front carriers are cheap, finding someone to weld the spiders is cheap too. On a 95 YJ (OP's profile) you'll have to have converted to manual hubs, or your sanity will be measured in minutes on the trail (you'll also get practice in popping the NP-231 transfer case shifter linkage back together as you'll be yanking it out of 4WD under load a few times)
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY

Comment

I completely understand and point well taken. Still new to certain drivetrain parts and wanted to know more what they were all about. Thanks Old Fart!

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
          Fortunately, D30 front carriers are cheap, finding someone to weld the spiders is cheap too. On a 95 YJ (OP's profile) you'll have to have converted to manual hubs, or your sanity will be measured in minutes on the trail (you'll also get practice in popping the NP-231 transfer case shifter linkage back together as you'll be yanking it out of 4WD under load a few times)
          Drew
          95yj Six Pack

Comment

YJ's have high pinion Dana 30's, plenty strong enough for up to 35's unless you're silly with the loud pedal. If you want to lock it, consider an ARB - all it is is a "selectable spool"
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY

Comment

ARB or an Ox locker will do ya just fine. Or for simplicity sake a Detroit soft locker

Comment

Art,
                Is a Detroit soft locker a full locker or a limited slip?

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                ARB or an Ox locker will do ya just fine. Or for simplicity sake a Detroit soft locker
                Drew
                95yj Six Pack

Comment

It's a full locker.
                  IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                    It's a full locker.
                    Drew
                    95yj Six Pack

Comment

A soft locker disengages a lot less harsh than the original design, makes it more user friendly

Comment

If you drive it on the road alot, I would do what Art said and get an ARB.
                        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Love my ARB's on the road not there instant on and off
                          by just flipping a switch and they have been very reliable for me. Steve has a front spool in jis new Barney and it's coming out in a hurry, the darn thing takes a big Arnie to steer

Comment

I am running a standard Detroit Locker in my D30. It works fine. You just have to get used to backing off the gass on tight corners or poor traction conditions to get it to turn.
                            Never the last trail!:cactus:

Comment

I,ve got a detroit front but I put hubs and heavy duty axles up there with a Atlas so I can steer the thing if you never plan on hubs throw a selectable locker up there you,ll be happy you did

Comment

Working...
                              X