Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ideas???????

Driving up the Cajon Pass the other day (nice incline) about 70 mph, i started smoking from under the engine. I stopped, and saw that transmission oil was coming out of the transmission dip stick. I noticed my RPM was pretty high.

I'm running 35x12.50 15, 456 gears 3 speed auto TJ. Do you guys think i need to go up to 37s? Obviously, the RPMs were too high.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks,

Never had that problem with my TJ on 35's w/ 4.88's. Was the fluid coming out of the dipstick tube or seeping out around where the tube goes into the tranny?
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

it's not the RPM's.
      when tranny fluid gets hot enough, it boils and comes out the tube.
      get an auxillary tranny cooler to pull up long hot grades like that.
      It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

It was coming out of the tranny dipstick. Ok, with the auxiliary tranny cooler, I hope that will help it out. Thank you much for the advise.

Any suggestion on type and where the best place to buy a tranny cooler from?

Comment

what RPM are you turning at 70? An aux. cooler is a good idea, however this may be a symptom of a bigger problem. I drove my Jeep to the Rubicon several times and Moab once all at 3000 RPM's consistently and I never had this issue.

www.jegs.com or www.summitracing.com have a nice selection of coolers.
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Unless you are running late to a meeting with the IRS for a tax audit, I recommend NEVER runing a Jeep 70 mph up the Cajon Pass. I've seen it's affects for the 27 years I've lived in the High Desert. Stay to the right and keep it around 60 mph....
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

I want to say it was about 3000 rpms. Never had a problem with it before. I'm now looking at a tranny cooler and gauge now. I'm hoping that will help it out. Also, i'm getting a tranny flush

Comment

Duke, thanks for the links--I'm gonna check them out

Comment

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! here is what i found out: Tell me how much trouble i may be facing:

About last year, I had my tranny rebuild because i kept getting a TCC error: well the rebuilt worked great with no more issues.

I just found out that the shop who did my tranny used Dexrom III tranny oil. Today at NAPA auto parts, the courter guy told me my Jeep only can use ATF3 (now 4). Is this possibly a problem with what caused the oil to seep out of the dipstick?

Tranny guys told me that Dexron3 is still ok to use. True? or should i have a talk with him?

Comment

Just another 2 cents about that tranny cooler. Living here in SoCal - make sure that when you plumb the trans cooler, you go from the trans to the radiator - then from the radiator to the trans cooler - then from the trans cooler, back to the trans. You'll have better results that way. Doing it backwards may not yield any improvements at all.

At least it didn't in my case.
                    "A government big enough to give you everything you need is powerful enough to take everything you have"

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You have to be careful with tranny fluid these days. I was reading up on tranny fluid for my NV4500 recently, and that's a heavy duty manual--any gear oil should work, right? Wrong--even a premium gear oil can damage it because of the specific bronze alloys used and because of carbon fiber parts. It can sometimes boil down to the chemistry between the fluid and the materials used in the tranny. I don't know if that's the case between Dextron/ Mercon and ATF, but it's worth looking into. I know back in the day I wouldn't have used them interchangeably.
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

Jeep uses Chrysler transmissions if I remember correctly yours is a 3 speed non overdrive and in that case dextron 3 is ok to use, dextron 4 should be ok also most trans fluids are backwards compatible

Comment

Ya, I know a guy that put Dexron 3 in his overdrive auto trans & cooked it pretty good.
                          "A government big enough to give you everything you need is powerful enough to take everything you have"

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hi, use what your owners manual sez......
                            OR call the dealer and have them e-mail the info.
                            Don't depend on a parts house counter person to always know(NAPA is the best BTW).
                            Respectfully,
                            LG
                            Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by rd3100 View Post
                              WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! here is what i found out: Tell me how much trouble i may be facing:

About last year, I had my tranny rebuild because i kept getting a TCC error: well the rebuilt worked great with no more issues.

I just found out that the shop who did my tranny used Dexrom III tranny oil. Today at NAPA auto parts, the courter guy told me my Jeep only can use ATF3 (now 4). Is this possibly a problem with what caused the oil to seep out of the dipstick?

Tranny guys told me that Dexron3 is still ok to use. True? or should i have a talk with him?
                              Make the dude fix the problem. Our autos are meant to run ATF+3 (now ATF+4) Not Dexron or type F. I was driving up to the Rubicon and thought about your issue. I was going to ask what trans fluid you used and you just answered my question. Talk to the trans guy. If he doesnt want to fix it take his ass to small claims court.
                              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                              X