Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, I have done three of the one piece changes on my rig and freinds. One thing we did that you might want to think about is cutting the center hole of the brake backing plate (unless you have disc's) so it will go over the bearing. Then when you have the bearing pressed on have an old outer shaft seal pressed on where brake backing plate would be normally be.

This makes it so much easier to install and to pull later for packing bearings. You'll never have to disassemble the brakes again to work on the shafts. I can sketch what we did if you haven't already pressed your bearings on.

Comment

Originally posted by cweed View Post
      Hey, I have done three of the one piece changes on my rig and freinds. One thing we did that you might want to think about is cutting the center hole of the brake backing plate (unless you have disc's) so it will go over the bearing. Then when you have the bearing pressed on have an old outer shaft seal pressed on where brake backing plate would be normally be.

This makes it so much easier to install and to pull later for packing bearings. You'll never have to disassemble the brakes again to work on the shafts. I can sketch what we did if you haven't already pressed your bearings on.
      Clay,

That's a great idea. Thanks, I'm going to consider doing that.

The project is this Saturday. My son is taking time off his chevy van to 4x4 project to help me with this.

How did you cut the hole and do you recall the diameter of th hole?
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

I took a piece of scrap ply wood and drilled two of the mounting holes so I could bolt the ply wood to brake backing plate to cover the hole. Drew a line across the bolt holes to get center and used a 3" hole saw. The ply wood kept it center.

It makes it so much easier to service.

Comment

Thanks, that's sort of what I figured your probably did.
          MJR moderator
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

UPDATE - You won't belive the $hi+ that keeps happening to me!

Okay - first the good news! the axles are in!!!! It took a little longer and a little tougher than I expected , but they are done! All the shims were reused and there is .008 backlash in the ring & pinion gears

Now about the Trac-Loc I got to put in my Jeep - [COLOR="Red"]It had one in it[/COLOR], :bonk: I have removed the diff cover three times and I never could see in the carrier good enough to see if there were friction disks in there. I couldn't see them until I removed the carrier from the housing.

I've changed the gear oil three times without adding the additive necessary for the proper operation of the firiction disks. So I'm sure they were not working properly.

So my son and I agreed it would be best to put the rebuilt one I just bought for $25.00 USD. The rebuild kit is about $50.00 so it was still cheaper.

One thing I did learn, don't trust the lettering system on the AMC 20 Axle!!! I'm going to correct that with my dremmel tool, so future owners (if there ever is one) will know what's in there!

All-in-all I'm glad I tackled the project. Would I do it again? I :dunno:
            Last edited by Roger; 07-18-09, 04:43 PM.
            MJR moderator
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
            X