Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Notstuckyet View Post
    Most definetely!
    I called the ranger station and they're hoping 2nd week of June. Can't wait!
    I just called this morning and if we're lucky we might be up there sooner than that? I asked if he expected that it would take about a month for it to open seeing that there is still snow and he responded by saying it could be a couple of weeks if it warms up quickly. I can't wait . . . Miller is the best local trail for us fo' sho'!
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Well, I was dumb and cleared the code before I took it in. So they claim nothings wrong. They told me they drove it around, let it ran and didn't hear any rattle or smell anything. But, my Jeep has the same mileage coming out as it did going in. And no gas was used. Unless there's a code, there is nothing they can do.

This is why I hate the dealership service department, it's all kids that just graduated from UTI and think they know everything but can't diagnose a problem if there isn't a computer telling them what it is. I REALLY hope that light comes back on soon because I'm actually at 77K miles-getting close.
      We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

Just read this thread and I sympathize with you.
        Don't beat your self up about clearing the code.

If it cleared and didn't come back the tech would have had to make an educated guess on the problem. When you read a code, you get what it is and some info on what happened the moment the light came on. The fact that it cleared and the light stayed off tells me that it wasn't what we call a hard failure. If it pointed to the o2 sensor it probably would have tested within spec.
        I know this because I was a diagnostic tech for GM for 30 years. Unless he found a solid failure, taking an educated guess means if he's wrong and the car comes back he works on it for free till its fixed.
        If were ever in the same place I can tell you what not to do when you bring a car into a dealership and what to look for to base whether or not you need to go to a different dealership.

OU812 hit it well on how you act when you bring in your car.
        As for women bringing in cars, their normally better to deal with because most don't "act" like they know what's wrong with the vehicle and mislead the service writer.

I also cant help but be amused by the "This is why I hate the dealership service department, it's all kids that just graduated from UTI and think they know everything but can't diagnose a problem if there isn't a computer telling them what it is".

The "kids" have the base fundamentals but lack the long term knowledge. They should know how to properly test things with meters. If they don't have a few real good techs there to train them properly the "kids" will just fumble.

Ive trained a few UTI grads. Most eventually will turn out good (in 10 or more years).

Getting off soap box now........
        Come to the dark side.....
        We have Cookies!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoobi View Post
          Just read this thread and I sympathize with you.
          Don't beat your self up about clearing the code.

If it cleared and didn't come back the tech would have had to make an educated guess on the problem. When you read a code, you get what it is and some info on what happened the moment the light came on. The fact that it cleared and the light stayed off tells me that it wasn't what we call a hard failure. If it pointed to the o2 sensor it probably would have tested within spec.
          I know this because I was a diagnostic tech for GM for 30 years. Unless he found a solid failure, taking an educated guess means if he's wrong and the car comes back he works on it for free till its fixed.
          If were ever in the same place I can tell you what not to do when you bring a car into a dealership and what to look for to base whether or not you need to go to a different dealership.

OU812 hit it well on how you act when you bring in your car.
          As for women bringing in cars, their normally better to deal with because most don't "act" like they know what's wrong with the vehicle and mislead the service writer.

I also cant help but be amused by the "This is why I hate the dealership service department, it's all kids that just graduated from UTI and think they know everything but can't diagnose a problem if there isn't a computer telling them what it is".

The "kids" have the base fundamentals but lack the long term knowledge. They should know how to properly test things with meters. If they don't have a few real good techs there to train them properly the "kids" will just fumble.

Ive trained a few UTI grads. Most eventually will turn out good (in 10 or more years).

Getting off soap box now........
          I understand what you're saying. I guess I just picked on UTI students because I know a couple of them, and they always have a know it all attitude and look down on me for not going there and getting my automotive education at a community college. Yet some of these friends of mine do some shady stuff like forgetting to tighten a bolt on a timing chain guide so it breaks the chain later down the road.

It also bugs me that they said they drove around my Jeep to try to find the symptoms but it didn't have any more miles when I picked it up.

Oh well, the code came back so I'll be taking it in on Monday with the code still there.
          We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

Before you go there, try to figure out what led up to the code. First thing in the morning, after a freeway drive, stuff like that.
            I wasn't insulted by your UTI remark. Ive hired techs with more schooling and certs than I can count. Just to fire them because their idiots, cant diagnose, and, or, just rip people off. My old shop had 28 techs, five of us went to school for what we knew (not UTI). Bet ya cant guess who the shop foreman and lead techs were? After all those years wrenching I now teach it. I pound into them diagnostics and morals. If they don't help you to your satisfaction, go to another shop. It's not worth you time to have to deal with idiots.
            Come to the dark side.....
            We have Cookies!

Comment

It throws the code when I start it up after sitting for about 15 minutes to an hour. I had the top off today and could REALLY smell the sulfur. Not only that, but I took a peak under and saw they were glowing red.

You know, If my teacher had a Jeep I'd swear you were him. He drills diagnostics and morals into our heads, but I like it. The few students that are in the program with me that actually want to pursue a career in the field have gotten the "test don't guess" mentality-including me. I'm going to get my degree in Auto Tech. and try to get my ASE Certs starting next year. I was going to try this year, but I don't think I'm quite ready yet.

Comment

Got the Jeep back today, it was the cat. They replaced it under warranty without charging me a dime. Now all I smell is the sticker they left on the new exhaust.

Comment

Congrats no money outa pocket
                  I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Glad to hear it!
                    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Working...
                    X