Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powertrax problem

has anyone broken or damaged a powertrax no slip? i have one of these in my 8.8, and have somehow damaged it. for some reason the drivers side wheel is no longer locked in. i opened up the dif cover, and can see that the teeth are not enguaging.
    from the outside the locker appears to be fine... there are no cracks or anything on it. the only thing i can think of that happened to it. the problem is... i cant get the dam thing out of the carrier! on the passenger side, i can turn the teeth to allign them, on the drivers side the teeth dont mesh like they should, and that 1/16" of an inch or so that they are not meshing is not allowing me the clearance to get the other half of the locker out.
    has any one experienced this before?
    the picture shows the part that i think is damaged. does any one have any suggestions here?!
    when this was installed, it worked as it should, and met all the criteria of the pre tests for proper installation.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Erik,
    When my locker went bad it rounded the edges of the teeth and would no longer hold. If the teeth have damaged pieces hanging over into the areas they mesh you cant get the clearance needed to slide the first side out. Can you get the axles out? Then pull the ring gear and carrier as a single unit?
    456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

Comment

no. the way this locker is installed into the 8.8, you install the drivers side axle and c clip, then basicly cover it up with the passenger sid of the locker. then the passenger c c lip drops in.
      so what it boils down to is i cant get the drivers side axle out because the locker cant come apart due to the clearance problems you described.
      lol! what a pain in the ass! i have been out there for hours today. i am very frustrated with this thing. i think i'm going to have to cut the sob out with my grinder, and try not to wreck the ring gear, and carrier. lol!
      ERIK

Comment

i cant really afford it right now, but this arb is looking pretty good to me right now.
        i have been waiting for this "ricks wash" run for weeks.... now things are getting desperate.
        ERIK

Comment

You want to borrow my torch wrench?

Comment

Originally posted by tjTerry
            You want to borrow my torch wrench?
            i have never heard of one of those... what the hel is that?!
            will it cut through whatever this locker is made of?
            ERIK

Comment

Cutting Torch

Comment

oh.. lol. never heard it referred to as that. i have a torch. do you think it will cut that "zytanium"? or whatever those lockers are made of?
                ERIK

Comment

I do not know, but it would sure make a mess

Comment

i was thinking if i cut the pins off of it, it might come out. i just dont know yet. i'm going to call powertrax on tues and see what they say. maybe they have some suggestions. lol i dont know if they will warrantee a torched out locker.
                    i have to get it out one way or another though.
                    ERIK

Comment

well, the powertrax is coming out, and an arb is going in. i dont want to ever have to go through this again
                      lol
                      as things develop i'll start a new thread for the arb.
                      ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                        well, the powertrax is coming out, and an arb is going in. i dont want to ever have to go through this again
                        lol
                        as things develop i'll start a new thread for the arb.
                        I think you'll like it. you gonna spring for the ARB comp or run it off your OBA?
                        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                          I think you'll like it. you gonna spring for the ARB comp or run it off your OBA?
                          i still have the viair compressor collecting dust, so i might just use that solely for the arb.
                          i am interested to know how you have yours set up. do you have a tank? [i dont think so]
                          can you explain your system to me?
                          ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                            i still have the viair compressor collecting dust, so i might just use that solely for the arb.
                            i am interested to know how you have yours set up. do you have a tank? [i dont think so]
                            can you explain your system to me?
                            o.k., here's what I know on this subject...

arb lockers like to see a constant psi of 85 to 105 to stay engauged. under no circumstances do they like anything over 110.

to create this air pressure I hooked up my Viair to a 2.5 gal tank. The compressor is activated by an 85-105 psi pressure switch on the system. I then connected a CH mini regulator to the 2.5 gal tank, set it to 90psi and hooked up the solenoids off the regulator. I have a saftey valve on the tank that I think is close to 110.

from the solenoids you run your blue line to the diff.

to the solenoids you run switched power from your dash.

that's really all there is to it.
                            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

so whats going on with this? Are you going to be ready for this weekend? :confused:
                              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                              X