Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you, Jonah. The sliders are pretty much where you see them there. I expect to make some slight adjustments, drill some holes, etc., but I think I've got those figured out. The other stuff I've been prototyping and experimenting with before I go "live."

Besides that, I've cut windows in the sheet metal to weld the rollcage (so much for easy access). I cut more sheet metal off because it was wrinkled, and because the sides of my tub aren't straight. Now I'm building *something* in the voids between the sheet metal at the B-pillar. I'm adding onto the existing B-pillar feet, putting some 3/16" steel in the void to help augment the B-pillar frame tie-ins *someday*.

What's worse, I'm building some vertical B-pillar body reinforcement with hinges on the aforementioned floor structures. Why hinges? Because those vertical structures will tie into the roll cage via 1/2" fine-threaded bolts/ nuts which will make the angle of the B-pillar body structure adjustable. They haven't been straight since my first rollover.

Well, I was just going to take a picture and say a few words, but (since I don't have a picture) there you go.

Jonah, if you're still awake , what does IMS charge for cutting? I would be hauling it in my Saab (it hates me). I have some 14 ga (?) or so I'd intended for my tunnel, but I could use some thinner stuff for the sides. I've had some success heating and hammering it flat, but I think new sheet metal would be better all around.

EDIT: I just reread your post. 24x36 would be the easiest sheet metal that poor car has ever hauled. I need to move quick on it, preferably tomorrow or Saturday (if it's open).
    Last edited by inVERt'D; 09-17-10, 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling
    holes = cowbell

Comment

• IMS has a few different sizes in that rack. Some different thicknesses as well. If you want some and can't get over here right away, I am going to be over there tomorrow morning. I could pick some up for you.

I am not sure what they charge for cutting, but like I said they have some different sizes. Biggest is about 3'x 3' down to 1' x 3'.

Comment

• Jonah, appreciate the offer--pm sent.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

• Good talking to you this morning, jonah, and thanks for picking that sheet metal up for me. I'll be over to pick it up as soon as I can. :beer:

Oh I just happened to catch a question you asked me earlier.

What kind of seat belts are you using?
          My intention is to have both the stock belts and some harnesses. I'll see how well the stock belts work now that the A-B tubes are kinda in the way of the rachety-mabobs. If worse comes to worse, I have one of those remote controls they make so that people with short arms can use the stereo.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

• Well, the good news is I'm ready to weld some sheet metal back onto the sides of my tub. Then I'll be off of that particular project detour.

The other good news is that my Ballistic Fab order is on its way via Brown Santa Express. The bad news is that it sounds like they're sending me all right-hand threaded joints. Now I screwed that up on my online order, but called back and straightened it out--I thought. After they shipped the package I got two voicemails from them to confirm I wanted all right-handed joints. Good they're paying that much attention. Bad that the rep who was supposed to straighten it out apparently dropped the ball. Bad also that the other rep who called didn't notice that half of my hardware was left-hand threaded and do the math. Then again, maybe they did finally figure that out and that's why they just shipped before I could call them back. We'll see on Tuesday.

Ok, so their order fulfillment isn't perfect, but they still they have great products, made in the USA, and their prices are still competitive. How do they do it? Must not have been taken over by the commie unions yet. So they have my support. I just sold some more junk on eBay, so I'm gonna order the front joints as soon as I find out what they sent me for the rear...
            Last edited by inVERt'D; 09-26-10, 02:36 PM.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

• Jonah, once again, it was great meeting you and hanging out with your Jeep. Thanks for hooking me up with the sheet metal--great deal! IMS was great--I coulda spent an hour there. Just when I was getting ready to start working with that beautiful "scrap" 1x1 tubing, the sky started leaking again...
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
              X