Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
    Like I said, with your axle, it won't be a simple install. If you had an open diff, it would be simple, assuming that your bearings, and r&p were in good condition. You will have to replace the limited slip carrier with an open carrier, which means you will also have to replace the bearings, etc. The bearings and their races have to be installed just so, or no go... or maybe go boom. That $350 I mentioned was the the lowest quote I got for swapping out my trash lok LSD with an Aussie, based on me supplying all parts, oil, etc. An ARB would proly cost twice as much to install, so an Aussie is still a lot cheaper. Nailer341's suggestion about buying the clutch pack may be a pretty good idea until you can get all the parts and labor lined up to install the Aussie.
    does aussie not make a locker for replacement in the LSD carrier?
    if not, ot is a poor investment.
    i know lockright makes a no-slip that goes into the LSD carrier with no modifications.

in this case if this aussie requires a non lsd carrier and all of the gear set up it is a complete and total waste of money and time. think and research before you jump into this.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Apparently there is still no Aussie for a LS carrier. I disagree that it's a complete waste of time and money. You're assuming that because it's a lunchbox locker, it's an inferior product. Even given the money and trouble to install it, you will end up with a very functional and tough locker for a lot cheaper than most others. Bill, the president of Torque Masters, used to work for Richmond Gear, and he claims the AL is superior both in design and material; if you catch him on a good day he may just break it down for you, but he claims at least 22 improvements. They guarantee their lockers not to break, no matter what kind of engine you put behind it, so long as it has been properly installed.

ARB may be the shizzle for some, but $260-$650 installed is still a lot less for $1400 installed (not including air pump). You have to like the idea of selectable lockers--very handy at times, 'specially in loose dirt, snow, sand, etc., but sometimes simplicity has its own virtues. ARBs are very tough, but all that pneumatic stuff can go to crap very easily, and sometimes it does.
      Last edited by inVERt'D; 02-16-09, 10:24 PM.
      holes = cowbell

Comment

http://classicbroncos.com/aussie_locker.shtml

That makes it seem that the open carrier should be pretty much a swap. Does anybody know if swapping an open carrier would require extra steps, like setting the carrier preload and contact pattern? Or would it be just swapping the LSD carrier with the open carrier?

It seems if the dimensions are *exactly* the same with the two carriers, the ring contact pattern/preload should be the same. Or does this just show my lack of knowledge on the subject?
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
          http://classicbroncos.com/aussie_locker.shtml

That makes it seem that the open carrier should be pretty much a swap. Does anybody know if swapping an open carrier would require extra steps, like setting the carrier preload and contact pattern? Or would it be just swapping the LSD carrier with the open carrier?

It seems if the dimensions are *exactly* the same with the two carriers, the ring contact pattern/preload should be the same. Or does this just show my lack of knowledge on the subject?
          No, it's not just a swap; you will need to install new bearings and races. It's not just about dimensions; if you mate a new bearing with an used race, the two will likely never mate right, and problems will ensue. Also, your old side bearings will likely not survive removal in a usable form. Also, dimensions are one thing, offset is another; your ring gear has to ride in just the right place in relation to the pinion gear; how your bearings are offset in relation to the ring gear will dictate that, assuming you don't do a ring and pinion swap.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

you have to go through all of the same steps as installing any other full case locker.
            my vote goes to return it and get something else.
            ERIK

Comment

No, it's not just a swap; you will need to install new bearings and races. It's not just about dimensions; if you mate a new bearing with an used race, the two will likely never mate right, and problems will ensue.
              I assumed you could re-use the bearings from the LSD carrier.

Also, your old side bearings will likely not survive removal in a usable form.
              Good to know. If they can't be pulled in usable form, that's where you get new bearings... which means new races and extra work.

Also, dimensions are one thing, offset is another; your ring gear has to ride in just the right place in relation to the pinion gear; how your bearings are offset in relation to the ring gear will dictate that, assuming you don't do a ring and pinion swap.
              I didn't only mean length when I said dimensions... I also meant the offset that the ring gear is in relation to the both sides of the carrier. If they're not the same, you're doing a full re-gear.

See what happens when you assume too much?
              Thanks for all the tips David!

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
              you have to go through all of the same steps as installing any other full case locker.
              my vote goes to return it and get something else.
              At this point, I'm on board with Erik... Return it, save $$$ for something bigger/better. Maybe the clutch pack re-build is easier?

Erik, is the clutch pack re-build as easy as pulling the carrier, swapping the packs with new ones like you posted earlier, and replacing the carrier? If so, that might be an option to get on the road for this weekend for Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                Erik, is the clutch pack re-build as easy as pulling the carrier, swapping the packs with new ones like you posted earlier, and replacing the carrier? If so, that might be an option to get on the road for this weekend for Scott.
                it is that simple.
                i had the same LSD carrier and played with the clutch pack a bit. not much to it.
                ERIK

Comment

Ok im ordering the clutch pack and saving for the selectable locker. I was able to get ahold of jeeperz-creeperz before the shiped it out so no charges.
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

view the video, and save the PDF. no tellin' how long it might be on the net.
                    i think you made the right decision. others may disagree, but you will likely end up with a much better locker in the long run for not much more money.

ess the how-to's below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GsLDg3C6Hc
                    http://www.windveilgt.com/docs/s197/..._ring_gear.pdf
                    ERIK

Comment

view the video, and save the PDF. no tellin' how long it might be on the net.
                      i think you made the right decision. others may disagree, but you will likely end up with a much better locker in the long run for not much more money.

ess the how-to's below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GsLDg3C6Hc
                      http://www.windveilgt.com/docs/s197/..._ring_gear.pdf
                      Man I love the internet... Great links Erik... Scott... read up and watch up! I'm ready, are you?

Comment

Thanks. I ordered the clutch kits and the tool to install them today. They are in Fresno so they will be here tomorrow afternoon. I’ve got spare axle seals too so hopefully Ill have this together for the weekend. The write-up I read said you can do it in 6-7 hours if you don't know what you’re doing and 4 hours if you do. One write-up I read said you can do it without removing the carrier. We’ll see. I will be saving to get this crap-lock to its rightful home... Ebay.

---FYI At the Ford Dealer: Parts $300 Labor $500. I get the feeling they just didn't want to work on it.
                        Last edited by OU812; 02-17-09, 12:59 PM.
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

it isnt as hard as they make it sound.
                          2 hours if you have any skills with tools.
                          ERIK

Comment

it isnt as hard as they make it sound.
                            2 hours if you have any skills with tools.
                            Good to know. Scott and I should be done in about 43.5 hours... just in time for the weekend festivities.

Comment

Wish I was closer,I'd love to throw a wrench in to help.
                              Dennis
                              Dennis and Tammy
                              Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

That the problem with us Sandiagons. I won’t talk about how easy I think this is actually going to be because it will jinx us.
                                Those left standing
                                Will make millions
                                Writing books on ways
                                It should have been
                                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                                X