Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im just worried that if i do a super 30 and get out on the trail, ill bust the front axle of my daily driver up all the time. after spending all that money.
    Chrome don't get you home...

Comment

Originally posted by irwinwheeler View Post
      Im just worried that if i do a super 30 and get out on the trail, ill bust the front axle of my daily driver up all the time. after spending all that money.
      I know more guys running d30s up front than d44s.
      Major thing that ruins axles is the daily wear and tear of huge tires, they will twist the axles on a daily basis, then when on trail the driver gets into a spike load situation and the axle snaps as it has wear on it from running around with those big tires.
      with that in mind you need to see what the rating in tires for the super 30 kit is and keep under that.
      why a high pinion axle in the front is better is the ring and pinion gears are turning in the correct direction for the designed contact of the teeth making them 15 to 20 percent stronger according to whose figures you want to believe, so a HP D30 would have that advantage. One out of a Cherokee is a direct bolt in.
      I do not know what size tires you are going to run. I know the trend now days is 35s or bigger. I get places fine in my 33s, but if it is a daily driver I would look at that first. and see if them and lift height are going to matter getting in and out will be trouble. I am 6'2" and a TJ with 4 inches lift and 33s is a jump to get into. I hope this is helpful. I have not had an issue with any of my D 30s yet. I am also building one for my 70 CJ6 as an upgrade to the d 27 in it. I think they are great axles and have proven to take mucho abuse, are small and light, and cheaper to build than the current magazine driven mania for huge axles.
      censored for having an opinion

Comment

haha

i know how ya feel... right now my jeeps got 7" of lift and 35"s.

Comment

Basicly im going from 35"s to 36"s, trails with alot more rocks than the jeeps used to ,and lockers. i can, : A keep the 30, do 4340-30 splines w/ 30 spline locker,gears and gussets. or :B spend extra money and be a lil' tight for a while, get the 44 and do all that stuff the 44...??? oh and i am a experianced wheeler so i now how to message the skinny petal.. lol
          So, I am assuming that you will be moving up to something like the 36" BFG Krawlers? I don't think that the minimal size difference (35 to 36")of the tire make so much of a difference as the weight of the tire. (obvious differences like 30" to 36" tires not being compared here!) For Example: The 33" MTR's that I currently run are much heavier than the 33" Pro-Comp X-Terrains that were on the Jeep.
          I think that BLACKZZR has a very good idea for your consideration:
          "with that in mind you need to see what the rating in tires for the super 30 kit is and keep under that.
          why a high pinion axle in the front is better is the ring and pinion gears are turning in the correct direction for the designed contact of the teeth making them 15 to 20 percent stronger according to whose figures you want to believe, so a HP D30 would have that advantage. One out of a Cherokee is a direct bolt in."
          Money pit!

Comment

with that said...

Does anyone know what years the cherokee had the HP 30?

Comment

Does anyone know what years the cherokee had the HP 30?
              XJ's from 91 on......
              Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
                XJ's from 91 on......
                wrong.
                they stopped using HP30's in about 2000
                It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive View Post
                  wrong.
                  they stopped using HP30's in about 2000
                  Well, alrighty then. I stand corrected.
                  Money pit!

Comment

Working...
                  X