Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Code question

P0431** Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

I already replaced both upper 02's no change in engine light, it's still on. Any thoughts before I order the bottom two? Cats ?
    Best, Max7
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

put a few miles on it.
    sometimes it needs to think about the changes that have been made.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

cat efficiency is measured by the back oxygen sensor the one just in back of the catalytic converter. Changing the front one is not going to help, are you sure its not covered under waranty?

Comment

What kind od fuel are you running in your Jeep? Brand and type of fuel? This will help in the diagnosis

Brett
        offroadwerkz.com
        (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          cat efficiency is measured by the back oxygen sensor the one just in back of the catalytic converter. Changing the front one is not going to help, are you sure its not covered under waranty?
          I'M SURE IT IS, but my underside looks pretty mutilated and they will probably deny claim because of "abuse"?
          Best, Max7
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by fun4wheelerguy View Post
            What kind od fuel are you running in your Jeep? Brand and type of fuel? This will help in the diagnosis

Brett
            Circle K Regular, you think I am dirty don't you?
            Best, Max7

Comment

ok......... using cheaper fuels do tend to leave soot in the catalytic converter. You may want to try a good fuel addative and run the Jeep down the freeway for atleast 30 miles and get the cat really hot. Then clear the codes and see if the cat is cleaned up enough to work properly. Otherwise you actually may have a cat converter that is too far gone and may need replacement.
              I see this all of the time...... Using top tier fuels = less repairs in the future! Hate to say it but it is true....
              Brett
              offroadwerkz.com
              (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

On the fuel thing, funny you mention that, while in Truckhaven, Steve (Barney1) had filled his tank there and 1 or 2 of his inkectors started to dribble fouling the plugs had to rev the snot out of it to clear it up every time he started it. Last week he had no such problem

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                  On the fuel thing, funny you mention that, while in Truckhaven, Steve (Barney1) had filled his tank there and 1 or 2 of his inkectors started to dribble fouling the plugs had to rev the snot out of it to clear it up every time he started it. Last week he had no such problem
                  You sure he doesnt have a bad coolent sensor. They go bad and tell the computer its cold causing an overich condition untill the computer goes into closed loop.

Comment

also Art now my engine light is on after that ( i'll check the code later ) last time the light came on it reset itself a couple time's out wheeling ....

Comment

I have a code reader, your free to come use it.
                      its most likely a dribling injector. A bad coolant sensor would make it run rich all the time. Yours just loads up when shut off. Then on restart 1 or 2 sparkplugs are fouled but clear up when it goes in closed loop. Have had this before, ended up being a leaky injector

Comment

I am sure you can ground certain terminal on the aldl to retrieve the codes. You dont need any fancy code reader to retrieve codes.

Comment

Max,

I had the same happen to me about a year ago, the cat needed to be replaced. It is covered by the 8yrs/80K miles federal emissions warranty and the dealer had no problems warrantying it. They did give me a lecture about my Long Arm skid, and after I gave a bottle of wine to the service manager, they took care of everything under warranty.

As long as you didn't mangle the cat, you'll be fine.

Edit: No need for a reader, turn the key ON/OFF 3 times without starting the vehicle and it will tell you which code. Then look it up online.
                          Last edited by Lawrence; 12-03-08, 03:00 PM.
                          [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
                            Max,

I had the same happen to me about a year ago, the cat needed to be replaced. It is covered by the 8yrs/80K miles federal emissions warranty and the dealer had no problems warrantying it. They did give me a lecture about my Long Arm skid, and after I gave a bottle of wine to the service manager, they took care of everything under warranty.

As long as you didn't mangle the cat, you'll be fine.

Edit: No need for a reader, turn the key ON/OFF 3 times without starting the vehicle and it will tell you which code. Then look it up online.
                            Cool, Did you move?

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
                              Cool, Did you move?
                              In a couple of weeks.
                              [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X