Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having problems with Sully's ARBs. HELP!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having problems with Sully's ARBs. HELP!

He burned up an ARB compressor at Miller Last time we were out. He has both ends locked with ARBs in the CJ. So I got the new compressor, swap it in and check it out. The thing is cycling about 2-3 times a minute, much to often. So I figure its the lines. I get the RE Stainless steel lines and install them. I get the locktite #569 pnumatic thread seal @$30 and go thru the whole system. There is no way I am losing air from the axle housing to the ARB. It has to be internal at the copper tube @ the axle exit. I am stumped. This seems like a bogus conection for a very expensive unit all things considered.

The front D30 has a brass ferule type compression fitting seal,
    The rear D20 has a rubber "O" ring type seal in place of the ferule

I give up, I dont know what to do next. Any suggestions.

try spraying down all the air fittings and maybe even the line with soapy water while it's preasurised. It'll foam up at the leak. Other than that, I've got no ideas. Good luck.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Could it be leaking inside the axle housing? Other than that, its most likely to be an ill fitting connector. Good luck!
      It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
      and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

My brother runs ARB's in his CJ, and had the same problem. The leaking is taking place at the O-rings inside the lockers (with his, it was possible to engage the lockers, then get out, climb under, and hear air gurgling throughthe gear oil). His were something like four years old, and I've read that ARB has re-engineered the O-ring part of the locker since then to make them a little more robust. He replaced his leaking O-rings with the newer parts, and hasn't had a problem since then...

Comment

These are new ARB units with 400 miles or so. It seems I have one of each style (old and new). I wish it were leaking outside the line but no way. I do question the RE compatability with 2 styles as the fittings supplied are the same.

Thanks still stumped

Comment

Who did the install of the ARB carriers? You need to take it back to them. If you did it yourself.... ARB's are not like a standard carrier to install. It takes practice and there's techniques that need to be known before hand. Then there's the tools required. You MUST have a differential spreader or you won't get enough shims for a proper install.

Comment

I'm still betting that if you engage the lockers, and then shut the vehicle off and climb under, you'll be able to hear air bubbling through the gear oil in the carrier. The symptoms you described earlier in the thread are identicle to what my brother was experiencing with his...

I've just finished talking to my brother on the phone, and he tells me that the part in question is the air bearing. He went on to state that if the air bearings aren't shimmed precisely, they will go to crap in an extremely short period of time, and leak like there's no tomorrow. His went south on him within about three hundred miles after installation. Fortunately, he was able to get them replaced and redone correctly by the shop in 29 Palms where he had them installed, at no further cost to himself.

His experience with ARB's is why I went with a Detroit in the rear, and a TrueTrac in the front...
              Last edited by PRegner; 01-18-04, 03:47 PM.

Comment

you know... I had another thought. Does it cycle without the lockers engauged? If so it may be the seal on the compressor itself.
                myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Cap off the lines going to the axles and then check for leaks . It is very tricky putting the O-rings seals on and not messing them up . if you have no leaks to the axles then the O-rings are you problem .

Comment

Superior Gear / Drive Train Dirrect set up and installed the lockers and lines. Mechanically I'll bet the bearings and shims are done right. I've been adsvised to go back to all ARB parts (take off the SS lines) only had em on long enough to check for leaks. Its just confusing the issue.

I'll get new fittings and O rings and try again.

Comment

I agree, Superioir most likely setup your bearings with enough preload. They've done enough ARB setups to know how to do it.

I also like the troubleshooting tip mentioned above... Does it leak when the lockers are disengaged? That will narrow it down to the high pressure side of the solenoids , tank, pressure switch etc. If it doesn't leak when disengaged, it's narrowed down to the switched side of the solenoids (your stainless lines).

As for ARB's reputation, it's situations like this that people start bad mouthing their product. Personally, I've been running ARB's for about 8 years now without a single problem. A lot of my friends also run their lockers and haven't had problems either. It's rare that I hear about a problem, and I'd love to hear what the problem ended up being.

Comment

No worries about the ARBs, I am putting them in the TJ as well next month. Just a little tweaking needed here, although I am a little pissed about losing a $200 compressor.

Comment

Working...
                        X