Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft Balance?

I have a new vibration in the Jeep. It's not extreme, but it is enough to make the rear view mirror vibrate so that I can't get a clear view. This started recently.

I had all five tires re-balanced and the problem is still there. I recently added a Pro Comp Dual Sport 4" Long Arm lift (which I am quite happy with so far) and an Nth (AEV) rear diff skid.

Once the vibration started, I crawled under the rig to take a look and found that the rear drive shaft has been contacting the diff skid a little. It has made a small groove in the balance weight.

I can fix the skid to keep it from touching, but is the groove enough to get the drive shaft out of balance? Here are some pics of the weight and groove:

[COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

I dont know. I removed mine and had it checked at a driveline place just to see if the vibration I had was the shaft. In my case, it was not. It might be a good time to check out the u joints though, if you take it off for inspection. just a thought.
    "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
    (Charles Wells)

Comment

I think that the weight has lost enough mass to be a concern, I wonder how much it cost to have the thing re-balanced?
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Hey Mike-

I had the exact same problem with my Nth degree slider contacting the drive shaft, except my wear was much worse. I re-tubed the drive shaft (it needed it), and also found that the added binding pressure wrecked havoc on my driveshaft u-joints.

I would re-balance your drive shaft, and check all the u-joints. Mine would spin caps and all within the yokes. Created a bit of vibration until I fixed it.
        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

balancing is usually about 40 bucks.
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

who balances them? the maker or a shop?
            Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Hey Mike . . . sorry to hear about the Mr Green having a case of the vibes. I'm curious to hear what the issue is with the Nth stinger and why it's making contact . . . I've been armoring things here and there (my engine skid just arrived an hour ago) and have been eying that stinger for a while.
              That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to drop the skid and grind a bigger opening tonight. I also plan to pull the drive shaft and check the U-joints.

I can get the drive shaft balanced tomorrow if I can find a place to do it. Is this the kind of thing that 4 Wheel Parts shops can do?

BTW Schmo, I think that the rubbibg is caused when the rear axle is pushed high into the wheel well but I'm not positive about that yet.

[/COLOR]

Comment

I have a shop near mine......Coast Driveline in Ventura...... they balance and repair driveshafts for me all of the time. If you tell Mark or Bill that "Brett from Off Road Werkz "sent you..... they will give you a great price.....

Brett
                  offroadwerkz.com
                  (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Mike, you are correct. When the rear end compresses quite a bit, you tend to rub the edge of Nth degree slider. The cut out should have been made larger. That being said, it is still a great product. 10 minutes with a grinder and it is perfect. Do not get rid of your slider, trim the cutout another 1/2 inch all the way around. It will never rub again, and you can still leave the conection point for the stinger should you ever need or want it.

4 wheel parts will send the drive shaft out to be repaired. J E Reel is in Pomona, General Drive Shaft is in Monrovia. I believe Tom Woods is in Colorado and Coast Drive Line is in Ventura, CA. They all do good work, but I would tend to lean toward Reel for very best quality and most reasonable price. Coast is great too, but they are not local to you. I have never used Tom Woods, and General does great work but for more money than the others.
                    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Hey Mike,
                      Bob's driveline up here in Victorville has always done me right.
                      Not local for you though.
                      Good luck,
                      Scott

Comment

Mike, call a local parts shop/dealer, any will give you numbers for local driveline shops. I bet their will be one near you. I had one right down the road in San Berdoo, actually several. Ended up going to Yucaipa because I was impatient and they would do it on the spot. I know 4 west has a local here that does it for them, they sub it out locally.

Comment

Thanks for the leads. I really want to get the balancing done on Friday so that I can get it back in place Friday night. I am planning to do some AAT work on Saturday so I need the Jeep.

I work in EVC Jeep's area so I am going to try J. E. Reel. Hopefully, they can help me on a same day basis.

I cut out a pretty significant chunk of the slider. I re-painted it and it is out in the garage drying. Yeah Brian, I agree, the slider is awesome. I have gotten comfortable with it being there, I couldn't imagine doing without it. I had to modify it pretty severely already just to get it to work with my new quad-link rear suspension, so hacking out a new piece didn't bug me any.

[/COLOR]

Comment

If you go to JE Reel pm me.

Comment

Mike you can try inland empire drive line they have a shop of miliken near Guasti it right passt the truck shop in the small industrial place that has the cb repair shop also. basically south of the 10 fwy of miliken take the first right just before the railroad track then go past the truck stop till you see all these small industrial units. they are on the west side the first or second unit. Very easy to find, I am pretty sure if you drop it of in the morning they will have it done by the end of the day

Inland Empire Driveline Service, Inc.
                              (800) 800-0109 • (909) 390-3030 • gfrick@iedls.com
                              4035 East Guasti Road • Suite 301 • Ontario, California 91761

Comment

Working...
                              X