Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hub lock puzzle

i bought a set of mile marker hub locks for my tj. the instructions say they can't be used for anything above a 29" tire. does anyone know why? is it a legality thing or will it cause serious "wheel falling off issues" ? i would really appreciate some info.

I wonder? I'd guess it's the strenght of the fuse in the hub.
    I was thinking about useing a warn conversion hub, but they max at 33s; why bother.
    '98 TJ, Steve-www.itsajeep.org

Comment

yeah i was trying to save a little on fuel. i bought them over a year ago while i was in afghanistan. no where did it say there was a limit like that. interesting though, my tj's stock tires are 29.50. this kit says its for OEM only. so they wouldnt work for the jeep anyways. i hate my life.

Comment

the size limit, on the warns at least, is for warranty issues. many folks run the warn hubs with 35s. some break hubs occasionally, some don't. as stated above the warns are warrantied for life so if you do break one, they'll send you another.
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by irishjeeper View Post
          yeah i was trying to save a little on fuel. i bought them over a year ago while i was in afghanistan. no where did it say there was a limit like that. interesting though, my tj's stock tires are 29.50. this kit says its for OEM only. so they wouldnt work for the jeep anyways. i hate my life.
          Thanks for your service,
          They'd be nice to have, I'd consider then again if I found a kit for 35/37s.
          Be prepaired to change the hub/wheelbearings while you're in there.
          '98 TJ, Steve-www.itsajeep.org

Comment

Thanks for your service,
            They'd be nice to have, I'd consider then again if I found a kit for 35/37s.
            Be prepaired to change the hub/wheelbearings while you're in there.
            your welcome. im actually slated to go back in 2010. im hoping they'll quit this thing by then , but i somehow doubt it.
            as for the bearings, the kit came with a full set of bearings for the install, wheel and hub. i think i might chance it and put'em on anyway. i'm thinkin it would be dependant on the type of driving i would be doing. and right now i'm just driving back and forth from school.

Comment

Stating the small tire size is mainly a CYA for them. Plenty of people are running them w/ larger tires and using them as a fuse to save on axle/U-joint breakage. It is a good idea since they are easy and quick to change on the trail. I carry a spare set just in case i or others need them.

Comment

Working...
              X