Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks good buddy !!!!1 perfect grab handle for us bumper cowboys !

Comment

Originally posted by FRMNJJ View Post
      1 perfect grab handle for us bumper cowboys !
      Yeee hawwwwwww
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Nice. No more rubbing front fenders on those nasty projections along the highway.( ok, so Sunbonnet was no highway).
        I am looking into an Aussie locker for my front 30d. Thats what you had yes? Is this a good idea? pretty cheap locker at around 280 or so.
        "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
        (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
          I am looking into an Aussie locker for my front 30d. Thats what you had yes? Is this a good idea? pretty cheap locker at around 280 or so.
          Bob,
          Having been down that road, I suggest you bite the bullet and get an ARB. It's way more money, but the aussie will be an aggrevation after a while. They get noisy, they can be scary on the highway (after a lot of wheeling), and they get "grabby" as the lock pins wear. And they are on all the time, so turning tight corners is more of an adventure. Don't get me wrong, I liked mine, it did well, but all the things I mentioned above are sure to happen eventually. If you decide to go with the Aussie-type locker, and you don't wheel way hard like I did, it will last you a few years. The ARB, on the other hand, has been so trouble free I keep forgetting that I have them, as you know from watching me try to go up some of the obstacles at JV The ARBs have been in almost twice as long as my Aussies were, and not a problem one.
          Just my :2:

Comment

Bob, looks like were both gonna have to bite the bullet and go ARB.

and Rat at first i didnt really like the Rev111s but those fenders are growin on me...
            |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
              Bob,
              Having been down that road, I suggest you bite the bullet and get an ARB. It's way more money, but the aussie will be an aggrevation after a while. They get noisy, they can be scary on the highway (after a lot of wheeling), and they get "grabby" as the lock pins wear. And they are on all the time, so turning tight corners is more of an adventure. Don't get me wrong, I liked mine, it did well, but all the things I mentioned above are sure to happen eventually. If you decide to go with the Aussie-type locker, and you don't wheel way hard like I did, it will last you a few years. The ARB, on the other hand, has been so trouble free I keep forgetting that I have them, as you know from watching me try to go up some of the obstacles at JV The ARBs have been in almost twice as long as my Aussies were, and not a problem one.
              Just my :2:
              Rat,
              Is your Jeep a daily driver? I have had the Aussie Locker in my front D30 for about 3 years now and I don't have any of the above mentioned issues. Granted my Jeep is NOT a daily driver, but neither has my Jeep has never exhibited any "scary" behavior on the highway.

Could I just be lucky with the unit that I bought?
              Could it be that I dont have that many miles on my Aussie unit?

I think that the ARB's are a great product, but when I finally go to a bigger axle, it will have a Detroit in it.
              Money pit!

Comment

I've had my Detroit try to put me in another lane a few times, but that one is the rear, the front Detroit is unlocked all the time until I hit 4wd... and then sometimes I have to hit the clutch to steer tight corners.

what's the difference 'tween an Aussie and a Detroit?
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                  I've had my Detroit try to put me in another lane a few times, but that one is the rear, the front Detroit is unlocked all the time until I hit 4wd... and then sometimes I have to hit the clutch to steer tight corners.

what's the difference 'tween an Aussie and a Detroit?
                  The Aussie is a "lunch box locker" that is many ways very much the same design as the Lock-Rite. It's an inexpensive way to buy traction. It has the same ease of install and problems that are inherent with this type of design.

Supposedly the Aussie unit is capable unlocking to allow wheel speed differentation w/o being noticed. But, that is a subject that is up for much debate. I have had my rear Detroit "unlock" while driving down the street and suddenly I am trying to change lanes.

That being said, I did not have any issues with the Lock-Rite that was in the rear axle of my old Blazer, nor have I had any issues with the Aussie unit in the front axle of my Jeep. But, the concensus seems to be that these items become problematic as mileage increases.

In all fairness, the Aussie locker was a interim unit until I could save enough $$ to buy a Currie 9" front axle with a Detroit.
                  Money pit!

Comment

Rat,
                    Is your Jeep a daily driver?

Yes, my Jeep is a daily driver. I'm not knocking the Lunchbox lockers; they fill a nitche for entry level wheelers with limited funds. I installed mine, had them front and rear for over a year. I've never been a fan of full time lockers but, bottom line, if you can't afford selectable lockers, the auto lockers are a good alternative.

I don't know about luck. I put about 20,000 miles on the auto lockers both on the street and trail (mostly trail time). I'm like some others on this forum, if there is a hard line I'm probably going to take it. After 10,000 miles or so I had to replace the guide pins in the front locker twice. I called Aussie and was told it's because the front has different load stresses due to the turning ability of the front wheels. From what I saw, the pins were just flat wearing out from torque load. Both front and rear did it. I checked clearances all the time; they were always right on. I came to the conclusion that, all things being correct,(clearances, back lash, correct gear lube) the auto lockers just wear out under continuous loading.

I don't know. How many miles do you have?

THe rear locker is the one that got me on the highway. Two of the pins wore and jammed in the clutch plates, locking the wheels and sending on Mr. Toad's wild ride. I had an ARB in the rear diff next weekend.

Comment

All great points but I run an Aussie in the front and have no issues at all. I think that the reason Rat had the issues was that he could not unlock his hubs so as a daily driver there was always stress put on the locker. I have the capability to unlock my hubs so when I'm on the street there is no stress on the small pins. If I couldn't unlock my hubs I would want a selectable locker. My :2:
                      Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                        Rat,
                        Is your Jeep a daily driver?

Yes, my Jeep is a daily driver. I'm not knocking the Lunchbox lockers; they fill a nitche for entry level wheelers with limited funds. I installed mine, had them front and rear for over a year. I've never been a fan of full time lockers but, bottom line, if you can't afford selectable lockers, the auto lockers are a good alternative.

I don't know about luck. I put about 20,000 miles on the auto lockers both on the street and trail (mostly trail time). I'm like some others on this forum, if there is a hard line I'm probably going to take it. After 10,000 miles or so I had to replace the guide pins in the front locker twice. I called Aussie and was told it's because the front has different load stresses due to the turning ability of the front wheels. From what I saw, the pins were just flat wearing out from torque load. Both front and rear did it. I checked clearances all the time; they were always right on. I came to the conclusion that, all things being correct,(clearances, back lash, correct gear lube) the auto lockers just wear out under continuous loading.

I don't know. How many miles do you have?

THe rear locker is the one that got me on the highway. Two of the pins wore and jammed in the clutch plates, locking the wheels and sending on Mr. Toad's wild ride. I had an ARB in the rear diff next weekend.
                        I didn't mean to :hijack:, but I did enjoy the different points of view. Due to 'not having enough bullets to bite', I am for the Aussie up front only for now.
                        Still like the new fender look, Kurt. Great job.
                        If I have problems installing the aussie, I'll be a callin.
                        "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                        (Charles Wells)

Comment

First post here and not to hijack, but I have the full set up with 4" flares and love it as well.

Sorry My junk is dirty as hell, it sat in storage outside for 9 months while I was on deployment.

I have upgraded to 35s with 4.88's with full detroit rear and a lockright(Just like aussie) up front. I love the gear and locker set up. It clicks while turning in parking lots but it is completely livable. Cheers!

Edit: Daily Driven.

Edit 2: I'd be more than happy to drive up to long beach so the OP can take some measurements to make flares. The ones REV made were a really simple design I'm sure you could easily recreate.
                          Last edited by Gunnys TJ; 10-14-07, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Outstanding Gunny! Your even down my way. Have you tried 'Sidewinder' yet?
                            Hope to see you out there.
                            BobO

ps. You always park on a red curb, or is that a jeep thing?
                            Last edited by Mtbikbob; 10-15-07, 09:16 AM. Reason: humor
                            (Charles Wells)

Comment

looks awesome Rat!

my opinion, I dont like the empty hole in the tubing. almost looks weak like if it were hit from the front it would just dent in the tubing. just a thought.
                              [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

nice looking jeep! so when are we goin going to hit up some trails in Diego?
                                [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                                X