Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great discussion, but I am still curious as to where everybody mounts their extinguishers. I actually have one left over from when I lived in Belgium (they are required in every car there, as well as first aid kits. Really a good idea). It still has some life left in it (they have expiration dates on them, as well as the gauge).

When I got my Jeep last week I tried mounting it on the lower part of the rool bar behind the driver's seat. Unfortunately, once I got it in place, when I put the seat back it knocked it out of the holder! :bonk: The question is where can I put it and still have quick/easy access to it in case of an emergency?

Cheers! M2

Comment

I love this website! I went out and bought myself a couple of those "Kiddie" fire extinguishers at Costco for the Jeeps (under advisement of ladies and gentlemen of this site). I've not mounted one into the CJ yet, but the YJ's is right by the driver's seat mounted to the floor. I thought I'd have problems with kicking it or some other such nonsense but it really hasn't been a problem where it's at. I've seen them mounted in other rigs like this, but also on the roll bar vertical risers.
      [SIZED]http://images21.fotki.com/v760/photos/9/9459/4116941/Upgrades001-vi.jpg[/SIZED][SIZED]http://images24.fotki.com/v767/photos/9/9459/4116941/Upgrades002-vi.jpg[/SIZED]
      I just went out an tapped my extinguisher on the asphalt and shook it up, checked the pressure and updated my inspection tag. Thanks for the reminder guys!
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Wow, great tips. Gotta love this website. Thump the F.E. I would never have thought of that. Mine's mounted on the overhead roll cage, so anyone can get to it quickly and see exactly where it is. Easily checked before trips as well.
        "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
        (Charles Wells)

Comment

Yikes! Glad everyone got out safe. That right there confirms why I have one in every vehicle and a few in my house. You might not be able to save your car or home w/ one but you might be able to buy a couple precious minutes for yourself, a loved one or friend when it matters.

BTW, I borrowed the quote and pic link to use on another forum. This is an important message that should be shared.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
            I picked this up off another thread:

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Tim
            My wife owns M&D Fire Equipment in Apple Valley. She's been in the fire extinguisher business for 20 years.

Halon is legal to use but not to manufacture in CA. They use recycled Halon. However a 2.5 lb. ABC dry chemical extinguisher is twice as effective as a 2.5 lb. halon at putting out fires. Halon also doesn’t work that well in the outdoors because comes out as a gas and would dissipate in the wind. It needs an enclosed space to be effective. It’s also expensive.

She says a sodium bicarb extinguisher (BC)(flammable liquids, fuels, etc.) would be best for engine fires because it will wash out of the engine compartment whereas the ABC chemical (mono-ammonium something or another) will melt and adhere to the engine components. That’s how it's designed and is a part of its fire suppression properties. It will be very hard (if not impossible) to clean off if there’s anything left of your vehicle after the fire’s out.

ABC is a good all-around fire extinguisher to carry but if you gotta put out an engine fire, sodium bicarb is the way to go. Maybe carry two, one of each?

As for those less expensive, plastic topped, fire extinguishers some folks carry…I can’t post what she said about them here.
            My European extinguisher is a BC, I checked. I also was at WalMart earlier, and they sell Kidde extinguishers especially for cars. I didn't check but I would almost expect them to be BC and not ABC extinguishers...

Actually, mine is sitting in the center console of my TJ, and with some of the places I have been driving offroad, I would expect the chemical powder to be shaken up pretty well!

Cheers! M2
            Last edited by majormadmax; 04-14-07, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by majormadmax View Post
              Actually, mine is sitting in the center console of my TJ, and with some of the places I have been driving offroad, I would expect the chemical powder to be shaken up pretty well!

Cheers! M2
              You would think that, but in reality all it does is pack it tight.
              '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Working...
              X