Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire Extinguishers

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fire Extinguishers

    from NAGCA

    Originally posted by MyNameIsJerry
    Well, I lost the ZJ tonight. Long story short, I got high centered on a little hill that was pretty covered in brush, the cat must've lit it up, by the time I got everyone out and hooked the strap up, it was too late. It's a total loss, completely burnt out.


    This seems like a good time to talk about fire extinguishers.

    I carry a small Kidde fire extinguisher. I will probably be upgrading soon. What does everyone carry on board and how big? Is Halon legal in California?
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

  • #2
    Back in 2000, I was wheeling John Bull and a brake line came loose. While we were fixing it, someone asked where my fire extinguisher was. You know, just in case. While I wasn't chastised for not having an extinguisher I was informed about the importance of carrying one.
    The next day, I went to Cosco and bought a 3 pack. 1 for the kitchen, 1 for the garage, and 1 for the Jeep. I regularly check the one in the Jeep before heading out.

    Comment


    • #3
      Are those extinguishers from costco rated for chemical fires?
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

      !!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by swbooking View Post
        Are those extinguishers from costco rated for chemical fires?
        Nah. Couldn't tell you for sure. ABC rated which if I remember correctly takes care of most fires.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by swbooking View Post
          Are those extinguishers from costco rated for chemical fires?
          not really, ABC is for ordinary combustibles like paper, wood etc. for chemicals you need something with more aquaquis foam that smothers fumes more..........ABC sometimes will splatter chemical fires making it worse............

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FRMNJJ View Post
            not really, ABC is for ordinary combustibles like paper, wood etc. for chemicals you need something with more aquaquis foam that smothers fumes more..........ABC sometimes will splatter chemical fires making it worse............
            Listen to JJ, he knows of what he speaks. So what do you recommend JJ?
            I can speak from experience and the chastisment of Nailer and and a few others: If you buy a fire extiguisher, make sure you put it in the Jeep!! I don't do no good sittin in the motorhome...

            By the way, that had to be the worst freaking feeling in the world to watch your Jeep car-b-que. Dammmmmm. Glad everyonecame out unscathed.

            Kurt
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

            Comment


            • #7
              Man that pic of the fire turns my stomach. Halon is illegal everywhere, the tree huggers got rid of it because it eats the ozone stuff that we jeepers create when we weld on our junk. The ABC extinguisher is the one you need for the jeep, it covers everything burning: solids, liquids and electrical fires are the A, B & C of which we speak. Part of wheeling with a couple of other jeeps is so that everyone can help, fire extinguisers don't really last very long, you may need more than one to do the job. The only fire that isnt covered is the "D" class fire, that is self sufficiant, will burn underwater. You dont put class "D" fires out they burn out by themselves. Ever lit a magnesium VW block? thats a class "D" the "D" stands for "don't even try" When the Stark caught on fire, they just pushed the Helos overboard into the sea.
              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

              Comment


              • #8
                When you buy one and ever plan on having it serviced. Make sure you get a metal head and not the cheaper plastic ones.
                [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                In Loving Memory of My Daughter

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                  You dont put class "D" fires out they burn out by themselves. Ever lit a magnesium VW block? thats a class "D" the "D" stands for "don't even try" When the Stark caught on fire, they just pushed the Helos overboard into the sea.
                  But when you do put water on a magnesium fire it makes one great fireworks show.
                  :wink:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    no doubt!
                    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Another tip for the dry chemical extinguishers:

                      Every few months, take it out of the Jeep and whack the bottom with a rubber mallet a few times to break up the packed powder. There is no worse feeling than pulling the trigger on an extinguisher that says "Full" only to find that nothing comes out...This is a good idea for the home extinguishers, too.
                      '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by peteyg View Post
                        Another tip for the dry chemical extinguishers:

                        Every few months, take it out of the Jeep and whack the bottom with a rubber mallet a few times to break up the packed powder. There is no worse feeling than pulling the trigger on an extinguisher that says "Full" only to find that nothing comes out...This is a good idea for the home extinguishers, too.
                        In the Navy they taught us to thump it on the deck right before pulling the trigger as well. We did regular checks on all the extinguishers aboard the ship. Gotta keep them in good order or they won't do you a bit of good.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                          Listen to JJ, he knows of what he speaks. So what do you recommend JJ?
                          I can speak from experience and the chastisment of Nailer and and a few others: If you buy a fire extiguisher, make sure you put it in the Jeep!! I don't do no good sittin in the motorhome...

                          By the way, that had to be the worst freaking feeling in the world to watch your Jeep car-b-que. Dammmmmm. Glad everyonecame out unscathed.

                          Kurt
                          Not chastisment...encouragment!
                          -Bob
                          '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

                          My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I picked this up off another thread

                            Originally posted by Tim
                            My wife owns M&D Fire Equipment in Apple Valley. She's been in the fire extinguisher business for 20 years.

                            Halon is legal to use but not to manufacture in CA. They use recycled Halon. However a 2.5 lb. ABC dry chemical extinguisher is twice as effective as a 2.5 lb. halon at putting out fires. Halon also doesnít work that well in the outdoors because comes out as a gas and would dissipate in the wind. It needs an enclosed space to be effective. Itís also expensive.

                            She says a sodium bicarb extinguisher (BC)(flammable liquids, fuels, etc.) would be best for engine fires because it will wash out of the engine compartment whereas the ABC chemical (mono-ammonium something or another) will melt and adhere to the engine components. Thatís how it's designed and is a part of its fire suppression properties. It will be very hard (if not impossible) to clean off if thereís anything left of your vehicle after the fireís out.

                            ABC is a good all-around fire extinguisher to carry but if you gotta put out an engine fire, sodium bicarb is the way to go. Maybe carry two, one of each?

                            As for those less expensive, plastic topped, fire extinguishers some folks carryÖI canít post what she said about them here.
                            Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I know those plastic top FE's aren't the best, but they've saved two vehicles that I have seen burning. I used mine on a Ford Truck that was burning at an intersection one morning on my way to work. The owner of that truck was appreciative, to say the least.
                              Rat
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X