Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My CB is mounted to an existing screw under the dash and I've wired it so I can take it out when I'm not wheeling. I'll take some pictures when I get a chance.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
      My CB is mounted to an existing screw under the dash and I've wired it so I can take it out when I'm not wheeling. I'll take some pictures when I get a chance.
      Our problem is trying to figure out where to install the actual antenna if we get the bigger unit. We have the Kargomaster Congo Cage that takes up our corners. My husband Tom will post later when I'm done the details as to what he needs to say or ask, okay. Thanks so far for all the advice.
      1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
      Glad to be back in California!

Comment

I like that idea...could you show me how to do it? Not too bad at handling wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
          [1/4 wave is the way to go. It will out perform any other readily available antenna out there. The downside is that they are friggin long, and can swing around on the trail and hit people, so you really should find a way to tie it down to avoid injuries. [/B]
          I'm sure 1/4 wave is best (1/4by 1/2 wave are the dimensions for radar waveguide). However by my calculations, at approximately 29Mhz, a 1/4 wave antenna would be about 8.5 feet long CA4WD regs limit antenna length to 4.6 feet. So we need 56inches or shorter to be legal. My main concern was getting a functional radio in the short term. Eventually I'll mount an antenna most likely on the rear bumper. Right now my weenie cordless drill isn't up to that task I see the need for a good antenna, but in my experience, a properly connected and grounded small antenna will outperform a poorly connected or grounded larger antenna. Ick, this is getting to much like work
          It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
          and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Originally posted by king4wd
            I'm sure 1/4 wave is best (1/4by 1/2 wave are the dimensions for radar waveguide). However by my calculations, at approximately 29Mhz, a 1/4 wave antenna would be about 8.5 feet long CA4WD regs limit antenna length to 4.6 feet. So we need 56inches or shorter to be legal. My main concern was getting a functional radio in the short term. Eventually I'll mount an antenna most likely on the rear bumper. Right now my weenie cordless drill isn't up to that task I see the need for a good antenna, but in my experience, a properly connected and grounded small antenna will outperform a poorly connected or grounded larger antenna. Ick, this is getting to much like work
            The problem with 1/4 and 1/2 wave radio is that if you're not carefull, your vehicle ends-up looking like Wagner's (Inspector Gadget's) "Lunar Lander" (Tom knows who I'm talking about). A decent CB works fine for those of us that don't need to talk from state-to-state while wheeling. I got a Midland radio on sale at Walmart for $29.99, and wired it to a good antenna, and it works really well. I was using a hand-held Cobra model HH-22, and I had to climb out of the Willys and stand in the bed, or on the roof if I wanted to talk to anyone. Another disadvantage of the hand-held model is that I was constantly having to retrieve it from the floor boards.

Tom, you should exchange your hand-held for a regular CB radio. I've got a spare Fire Stick antenna I'll give you if you need it...

Comment

Originally posted by king4wd
              I'm sure 1/4 wave is best (1/4by 1/2 wave are the dimensions for radar waveguide). However by my calculations, at approximately 29Mhz, a 1/4 wave antenna would be about 8.5 feet long CA4WD regs limit antenna length to 4.6 feet. So we need 56inches or shorter to be legal.
              Yup. They are long as hell, but also work better than the short ones. That is not to say that the shorter antennas suck, because they don't.

CA4WD regs say 56 inches, other clubs say 48, and others have different limits and requirements. I chose to run the 108" antenna for a reason, and it fits my needs, despite what some club decided was appropriate. What I did to help with the "trail bystander" injury problem (which is why some clubs put limits on antenna length--and for the record, I have no complaint about a club instituting such a rule) is to mount the antenna low on the rear quarter, then secure it to the soft top above and to the rear of the side window with a plastic buckle and some nylon webbing. This leaves about 4.5 feet of free standing antenna. So only the top 4 - 5 feet is free to swing around. This essentially makes it as safe as a shorter antenna, but keeps the effectiveness of the longer antenna.

Now for a quick explaination as to why I went to the longer antenna. The first antenna I installed was a 3' fiberglass whip. I installed and tuned it one afternoon with the top down. It worked great--until I put the top up. Then the SWR went so high that the radio would not transmit! So, I talked to the local radio shop about my problem. Their suggestion was to mount a longer antenna, so that it stuck up above the jeep more. So I tried a 4' fiberglass whip. This time I installed and tuned with the top up. It worked *OK*, but the SWR was still high (~2.5), but when I dropped the top, I had to re-tune it. Then when I put the top up, I had to tune it again.....so that wasn't working, and was getting expensive buying antennas that wouldn't work. So I said heck with it, bought the 108" stainless whip, and now I get a SWR of ~1.3, with the top up or down, doesn't matter.

Anyway, I'm done rambling now. But I will offer this suggestion. Mount what ever antenna you get as high as you can. If you have a roof rack, I would put it there. Get it up above the top of the jeep, and use 18' of cable, even if you have to loosely loop the extra somewhere in the jeep, 18' is best.
              olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by qwiksilver
                I like that idea...could you show me how to do it? Not too bad at handling wiring.
                O.K., here ya go.

The first picture is under the dash on the passenger side. You can see there is a screw there that I've mounted the CB bracket to. The antenna coax is easily removable. The power lead has a plug spliced into it. You can find them at Radio shack.

mount/wires

the next pic is the plug at the back of the CB.

CB

Finally, here is a pic of the fuse block where I got the power source. I bought an "add-a-circuit" from auto zone and plugged it into the radio fuse slot. This way the power is switched with the ignition.

power

hope this helps. :yay:
                myJeeprocks.com

Comment

O.K., here ya go.

The first picture is under the dash on the passenger side. You can see there is a screw there that I've mounted the CB bracket to. The antenna coax is easily removable. The power lead has a plug spliced into it. You can find them at Radio shack.

the next pic is the plug at the back of the CB.

Finally, here is a pic of the fuse block where I got the power source. I bought an "add-a-circuit" from auto zone and plugged it into the radio fuse slot. This way the power is switched with the ignition.

hope this helps. :yay:
                  I saved the pics to the hard drive. Thanks. I like how it mounted right up without cutting or drilling. I hate cutting and drilling a vehicle and avoid it when I can.

I can go to Radio Shack...show them the photos and get what I need. I have spliced wires before. With a new radio there should be some sort of instructions as well.

Ah, one place where there would need to be drilling...the antenna. The magnetic mounts frequently get knocked off. I am hoping I can get one that unscrews and can be stored.

Thanks Brian...you're a big help.

Comment

CB Update!!

Thanks to EVERYONE'S advice! We went out and bought an external antenna for our hand held. We mounted it to our rack! We put the rack on just in case for the fires up here. We put the antenna on and PRESTO we have a tremendous range now!! Thanks Erik, Brian, and whoever else!! Like I have said before, I have never owned a hand held before, so wasn't use to the lack of range! Great!!
                    1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
                    Glad to be back in California!

Comment

New Antenna

Thanks for the info, gang I picked up a 48" whip, a truck mirror mount, 20' of RG-58 and a pl-259/bnc adapter. I can't go through drive-throughs or parking garages now, but my wife was picking up I-15 truck traffic from the house- about 4.5 -5 mile range (with no terrain). This is still with the handheld as a base unit.

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
                      and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Originally posted by qwiksilver

Ah, one place where there would need to be drilling...the antenna. The magnetic mounts frequently get knocked off. I am hoping I can get one that unscrews and can be stored.

something like this?

http://www.valcoelectronics.com/Merc...gory_Code=0043

you should also get a spring to help take some of the stress off of the antenna mount.

speaking of mounts (how's that for a smooth segue ), here's one option: http://www.firestik.com/Instl-Art/ss-jx3.htm you do have to drill 2 holes, but they're hidden and the mount is very low-profile. you'll be able to run the antenna lead through an existing hole in the firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by cbremer
                          something like this?

http://www.valcoelectronics.com/Merc...gory_Code=0043

you should also get a spring to help take some of the stress off of the antenna mount.

speaking of mounts (how's that for a smooth segue ), here's one option: http://www.firestik.com/Instl-Art/ss-jx3.htm you do have to drill 2 holes, but they're hidden and the mount is very low-profile. you'll be able to run the antenna lead through an existing hole in the firewall.
                          Thanks...I cut and pasted this into my notes. With all these notes...I should be able to get something together.

Comment

We field tested the handheld radio- vehicle antenna lash up the other day at Stoddard Valley. The set up worked great Thanks to the advice presented here we were talking with substantial range, as well as picking up some profane truckers on the freeway

and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Thanks to Brian I am up and talking with a sweet little unit under the dash. I have a 3 foot Firestick in the back and the mounting looks so good on the back of the Jeep.

I have a friend who is interested in the hand held idea. She and I follow each other to campsites and she wants to be able to talk to me on the freeway without resorting to cell phones. She's an actress and is a little low on the cash flow. What model did you get?

Comment

no problem, for pizza like that I'd do just about anything...
                                myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Working...
                                X