Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armour all

okay, newbie on the forums and a bit of a newbie on the Jeep scene. had a jeep for a little over a year, so nobody laugh at me when i ask stupid question it's the only way i'll learn. okay, here's my question: I armour alled my black fenders a couple times but now they turn grey and i really don't have to time to armour all 2 a week to keep them black. Anything i can do short of getting new fenders? This color they've turned is horrible and it's making my jeep look cheep.

hey gurl, welcome aboard! there are plenty of newbies here so ask away

mine are doing the same thing. someone told me once that armor all isn't good for them but something like the turtle wax stuff is ok. my jeep always seems to be dirty anyway, so i stopped detailing it. it does kinda suck tho, i agree.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

turtle wax

so just plain ole turtle wax?

Comment

no, the turtle wax brand equivalent of armor all ... i'm sure someone will chime in here and give us a hand at what works best
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

thnx

Many thanks!

Comment

The stuff you need is called "Trim Re-Nu". its made by Auto Tech. Probably got it at pep-boys. Its a cream that you have to work into the flares, has a little grit in it. It works, restores to black. Then dont use armor all again...ever. We did some 20 year old CJ flares and they look great. I'll never do it again, cause its a jeep, but it does work well.

Comment

Don't worry about being a newbie...me too. I have noticed that Jeeps don't take too well to detailing. Someone told me the tops like Pledge Furniture Polish. Go figure.

But if any of the guys who know more than I do want to chime in...go for it. I need to add to my notes.

Comment

Speaking of detailing....the previous owener of my jeep put some sort of clear coat on it, and now its starting to peel. What kind of product could i use to get it off without damaging my paint? or do i have to get the whole thing repainted?
                B R E T T
                87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Pledge Furniture Polish is for the plastic windows on your Jeep. It will help remove some of the smaller scratches, and will keep them from getting cloudy/dingy.

Erik

Comment

thanks for all the info guys. I'm trying to learn as much as i can about jeeps now. you know, chick's gotta know enough to not need a man. N E way. I have another question. My rag top is starting to mildew. It's a brown canvas rag top and i don't have a garage so it's out in the sun/rain all the time. Any suggestions on how to keep it happy and clean?

Comment

"back to black" works well for the flares.. even old gray dingy ones.. just lay the stuff on there pretty thick, and let it work. it will soak into the plastic and bring the coor back. you'll have to do it every month or so to keep them that way.
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Krylon semi-gloss black works pretty good too (that's what I used on all of the black plastic when I had an '88 Comanche)...

Comment

Originally posted by PRegner
                          Krylon semi-gloss black works pretty good too (that's what I used on all of the black plastic when I had an '88 Comanche)...
                          the only problem with that, that i have found is.. if you scrape, or bend your flare.. it will start yto flake off. i'll stick with the monthly back to black doses.
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I heard that a heat gun, not a blow dryer, is pretty effective.
                            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I have found that giving them a weekly rub down with a BIG rock at 2mph helps maintain the flares quite nicely.
                              olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
                              X