Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mirror relo

I want to run sans doors, 'cos they are getting beaten up

So I buy a pair or mirror relo brackets that mount to the front side of the windshield hinge. Pull out existing bolts, slap on the bracket, and install bolts, I thought.

But noooooo :mad:

The bolts loosen with a crack and I didn't strip the torx head. But the scews just turn round and round, they won't come out or re-tighten. :mad: :mad:

What's going on back there?

I was guessing a nut plate (like the other locations) but that doesn't seem likely. On the DS I can't get my fingers anywhere close. On the PS I can just feel the screws but the whole lot is covered in dried gorilla snot so I can't tell whats underneath. :poop: :poop: :poop:
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

hmmm... I've had some luck on aircraft if you can get the screw out just a tad and put an upwards pressure on it... sometimes it will come out for ya. If that makes sense.
    Erik

I fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by TrAvELAr
      hmmm... I've had some luck on aircraft if you can get the screw out just a tad and put an upwards pressure on it... sometimes it will come out for ya. If that makes sense.
      I tried something similar to try and at least retighten the screws...no luck :mad: :mad: :poop: :beer:

Comment

I went through the same headache. I thought there were nut serts like on the side but as you have found out that is not the case. The radio speakers also make it hard to get your hand up there to put a box wrench over the nut. It took me a while but you just have to keep feeling around until you get the wrench over the nut. Putting the bracket on and tighting it up is just as much trouble. If someone has an easier way let us know.

Comment

HA! we have all been there.
          reach your hand up in there with the appropriate wrench. when you are finished, you can tape up your hand to prevent infection of the bloody mess you have just made of it

those mirror movers suck.... all of em'.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one cutting my hands to pieces

I am now reassessing the sitch. Should I get a tetnus booster and try again or should I go for another solution?

Will the mirrors be useless when they are moved: vibration, position.

I could weld some clever tabs on the roll cage and bolt on those :yay:

I found some mirrors with roll bar clamps.

Comment

Originally posted by aston
              I'm glad I'm not the only one cutting my hands to pieces

I am now reassessing the sitch. Should I get a tetnus booster and try again or should I go for another solution?

Will the mirrors be useless when they are moved: vibration, position.

I could weld some clever tabs on the roll cage and bolt on those :yay:

I found some mirrors with roll bar clamps.
              the mirror movers put the mirrors into an undesirable location. on the drivers side it is ooook with no doors. with full soft doors it is hard to see it. you have to lean into it to see everything for a safe lane change.

on the passenger side... it is a whole different story. you actually see the mirror through your windshield. it is strange at first, but you can get used to it.
              the only way i have found to make the mirror on the passenger side have acceptable coverage of the road was to put a large convex mirror onto it.

i have gotten used to it, but it is less than desirable.
              ERIK

Comment

Maybe I'll get some CJ mirrors and drill/tap the windshield hinge for the mounting brackets.

Anyone tried this? Any probs with vibration?

Comment

Maybe I'll get some CJ mirrors and drill/tap the windshield hinge for the mounting brackets.

Anyone tried this? Any probs with vibration?
                  I'm no wizard, as you probably already know , but you'd probably be better off with TJ mirrors. Not only do I run them with little-to-no vibration, haha, but so does Rick on his CJ.
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                    I'm no wizard, as you probably already know , but you'd probably be better off with TJ mirrors. Not only do I run them with little-to-no vibration, haha, but so does Rick on his CJ.
                    I just looked at Rick's :shades: Jeep in my Moab 2005 pics :yay:

He has the exact same brackets that I bought. Maybe I'll stop being such a wus and see if I can get the mounting bolts off.

Comment

no kidding... it is just the matter of a few stitches.
                      git er' dunn!

you'll still surely enjoy the locations
                      ERIK

Comment

:shout: OK, I'm going in :gun:

If you don't hear from me in a couple of hours, call the emergency services. Or at least send Goodtimes over with beer.

Comment

Mirrors? What are those?

Seriously, my mirrors are still on the doors....hanging on the wall in the garage.

I did buy a cheap set of CJ like mirrors that bolt up to the windshield bracket...using the bolts on the side of the windshield. The mirrors suck though, as they vibrate and you cant see sh!t out of them...so I don't use them anymore. I just go without.

Things could be worse though...I have a 8" toyota differental torn apart on my workbench right now.....not sure what the hell happened, but the pinion depth changed (ALOT), and got up close and personal with the carrier.......just try and find a E-locker carrier in this stupid little town.....
                          olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

:shout: OK, I'm going in :gun:

If you don't hear from me in a couple of hours, call the emergency services. Or at least send Goodtimes over with beer.
                            You can start breathing again, I'm OK

I did manage to get a wrench on the nuts and removed a couple of screws but the screws had so much crap on them they were binding like an SOB.

Then it hit me DRILL the bastards out

Ten minutes later it's all over :yay:

Comment

DRILL the bastards out
                              Atta boy
                              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment