Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage Box

Well after seeing a few other XJ's with a storage box in the back i decided i would do the same thing. Mainly to keep things out of sight and because i needed something to do today.

Materials:
    1 sheet of plywood(i think i used 23/32 or something around there)
    wood screws
    piano hinge
    latches

Here it is in the jeep...

This is a piano hinge for all of those wondering...

I used a hole saw to cut around where the factory rear tie downs are

Edit: AYE! sorry about the larger than life pictures!
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

OK, i covered it in carpet so ill post the finished product tomorrow.
    B R E T T

Comment

Nice work!
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Nice.

A lot cheaper then a Tuffy box.

I made one like that for behind the rear seat in my TJ.
        Got tired of things rolling around.
        Makes it easy to put all of my recovery gear in there, and take it out of the jeep when I am not wheeling.
        Then all of my gear is in one spot in my garage also and easy to throw it into the Jeep before a trip.

Sweet though dude.

Todd
        Navy-Jeepster
        Gold Digger
        HAFND
        Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
        Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

Here's the final product. A roll of black carpet(3'x6') at Kragen was 14 bucks, not enough to cover the entire thing but was able to cover the top and front completely and most of the sides. The total for everything was around 50 bucks, so im pretty happy with it. Another thought i had was to make it a drawer instead but that would have been a little to much work. So i will just deal with having to move whatever is on top of it to get inside.

B R E T T

Comment

Very nice. Looks like a fun project!

Comment

Nice work Dude!
              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Looks good. A couple of things though, why not use a carpet that more closely matches the interior color?

And, that's not piano hinge unless you stole it from a piano and even then it's continous hinge. They just happen to use it on pianos.

If you need help with the drawer design, it wouldn't be that hard to do. It would be nice to not only have the lid that lifts for total access, but you could also put a drawer in the face that pulls out and have the lid.

When I put the tool boxes on the trailer fenders, they will have side doors that open down and a top lid that opens up.
                I am Savvy.

Comment

Or instead of a drawer you could just make the rear panel hinge down.
                  "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
                    Looks good. A couple of things though, why not use a carpet that more closely matches the interior color?

And, that's not piano hinge unless you stole it from a piano and even then it's continous hinge. They just happen to use it on pianos.

allright well i only looked at two different places for carpet, kragen and pep boys. and neither had the red i needed, and since im lazy i didnt care to look anywhere else. so, i just got black which actually doesnt bother me one bit, much better than the wood which stuck out like a sore thumb.

as for the hinge, a quick google search would show that continuous hinge and piano hinge are completely interchangable.
                    B R E T T

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
                      allright well i only looked at two different places for carpet, kragen and pep boys. and neither had the red i needed, and since im lazy i didnt care to look anywhere else. so, i just got black which actually doesnt bother me one bit, much better than the wood which stuck out like a sore thumb.

as for the hinge, a quick google search would show that continuous hinge and piano hinge are completely interchangable.
                      Yes, piano and continous are interchangeable but only in the respect that vacuum bottle and Thermos, Kleenex and tissue, Heim and rod end, and Jello and gelatin are.

There are no piano hinge manufacturers. There are continous hinge manufacturers that supply hinge to piano makers though.
                      I am Savvy.

Comment

I liked the Idea of holesawing the holes at the factory tie down locations
                        I recently got a 24x24x6 electrical junction box and am fabing up for a trail box
                        thanks for the post, it will help me
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

I'm usin' an old military footlocker, fits right between the wheelwells with some space leftover between it and the seats for any other crap. I still need to get it secured to the floor (don't want to get clobbered by it inna wreck), thinking of using the rear seat bolt holes and some hood pins so it can be removed easily. It works out kinda good, 'cause it has a liftout tray in the top for the little junk. I am also thinking of making some rails for the top of the lid to fit an icechest. One of these days...
                          :gun: My garage ain't cluttered, it's just cozy with crap.

Comment

size matters

How many bodies will it hold

god father

Comment

Working...
                            X