Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Top Hoist and In-garage Storage

Last year I took my hard top off for the Summer and simply dropped it on the trailer and stored it on the side of the house. We now have a pop-up tent trailer that now occupies that space so I needed to find another solution.

I have long thought about making a hard top hoist and storage solution in my garage and finally got around to doing this. I back into the garage, can remove the top by myself, drive out, set up the more permanent storage solution, and park back under it.

I still need to make adjustments to the placement of the hard top hoist, which is why I haven't included more pictures of that portion. Those changes will likely be made in the Fall when I put the hard top back on the Jeep.

The basic setup is 2 pieces of 1x1 square tubing from Home Depot welded into a "T" with an eye bolt for the hoist. I was originally going to use hooks to grab the front door frames and under the rear glass, but the things I had laying around the garage didn't work as I had hoped. I was trying to keep costs down so I ended up simply drilling holes in the 1x and putting ratchet straps from each door frame to the rear of the T at the rear glass. This worked well and didn't cost me anything more at the store, only 2 ratchet straps I already had.

Once hoisted off the Jeep, I affix an "H" frame I built from 2x4s under the top. It has 4 eye bolts on the corners that I attach to 4 pieces of chain that are suspended from the joists in the garage. I then lower the hoist to drop the top onto this frame.

This is all useless without pics, so here you go:

It ends up placed where the garage door opens fully, I can park under it and still walk both in front and back of the Jeep when the garage is closed.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Nice. Out of the way and still enough room for the Jeep. I like it.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Simple yet slick :thumbs_up
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Suggest strapping the top to the hangers (2x4s) in case if an earthquake

Nice creativity!

Comment

Very nice, clean, simple way to get it out of the way. Good job Mat.

Comment

I love this kind of ingenuity!
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
            X