X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need opinion on some rock guards

what do you folks think of these:

98 TJ 4.0 - 2" PORC budget lift - 31s

IMHO they don't look very tough, but looks could be decieving.
    [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

More info please. What is the wall thickness of the tube? How thick is the plate? How is it attached to the underside of the jeep?

As a general rule, tube with wall thickness under .120" is undesirable. Steel plate under 3/16 also doesn't stand up (for use as rocker protection----1/8" plate works OK for corners, fenders, etc). Be sure there is lateral support over the entire length of the guard underneath the jeep.
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

These Sliders Are Constructed Out Of 1/8" Smooth Steel, With An 11/2" Round Tube Formed And Welded To The Side. These Stand About 4" Tall On The Sides, And Do Have An 11/4" Lip That Bends Under The Body Side Of Your Jeep

Comment

Chris (Dukes) has the spendy 4xdoctors...and thrashed them on Rubicon this year. It resulted in some body damage (not that he cares, but some may). He actually bent the flat part that attaches to the body near the rear tire, and in doing so, buckled in his rocker panel. Hes pretty hard on his Jeep, so I doubt that any NORMAL person would have abused them so well Ill see if I can find a pic of it.

So, my suggestion here, is if youre going to be hard on your Jeep, even a little rock crawling...dont be afraid to spend the money to protect it. Unless of course, you just dont care about body damage.

The rockers in your picture leave the panel from the door to the front tire exposed. Id look for something with either a tube at the edge of the body(like warn or sun performance...nailer and I have those...) or 4xdoctor. Try to find something with a bit of support underneath as well.

HTH

Tam
          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

im not an expert in the TJ thing but how about rockrails and not those orcker panel things? arent those panels pretty much agle iron or do they bolt to the frame? well here are some rockrails that seem pretty good and they have a lifetime warranty, if you bend one they will replace em i guess. http://www.rocky-road.com/jeeprockrail.html

the only problem i would see with these is if you have a body lift, im not sure how that would work out.....
            B R E T T
            87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

off your rocker

I have been very pleased with my Off Your Rocker rock rails.

offyourrockers.com

3/16 steel diamond plate, powder coated, angle section.

Chris L.
              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

I like my 4xdr ones. Like Tam said, I just bent them this past weekend (3/16th steel) but I'm hard on my junk. 1/8th is too thin and the bar looks more like a step then a rail. Dont skimp on protection! Good luck!
                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

yeah I opted to stay away from those that I posted the pic of.

what should I look for in rock guards? should I get the rock guard plate and then the skid rocker underneath or what?

mind you I don't do all that much rock climbing seeing that I am front the east coast!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMachine
                    yeah I opted to stay away from those that I posted the pic of.

what should I look for in rock guards? should I get the rock guard plate and then the skid rocker underneath or what?

mind you I don't do all that much rock climbing seeing that I am front the east coast!
                    It depends on what you like and what you want. I like tub mounted rocker guards because you dont lose and ground clearence. But some people dont want to drill into their Jeep, so some companies make frame mounted rock rails. Whatever you do, dont buy steps! they wont cut it. If your set on tub mounted, I'd look for some that are 3/16 thick, and then go from there. I like 4xdr. Sun and Warn make some nice ones. Good Luck!
                    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

i run the warn rockers on my jeep, and they have held up to quite a bit of abuse, BUT the majority of my spotters, and friends dont like them because there is nothing on the side of my jeep for them to stand on when i am really off camber, and need a ballast.
                      other than that.... they are great!
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

yeah I think I want something with a step definitely, but I just don't know what exactly I want/like I guess.

Comment

These are mine. Made by AEV they are very strong and rock-proof!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe

These are mine. Made by AEV they are very strong and rock-proof!!
                            I like those, I think that's what I am going to get. :thumbs_up
                            [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
                            [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

I do like those! what's the cost run on those, and where might I be able to find a pair?

Comment

Working...
                              X