Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corner Guards; Worth It?

I'm looking at putting some Corner Guards on my TJ. IS it worth it? DO they really protect? If so, what do you guys think of the Gen-RIght.

Thanks

yes they do protect?

I have the full gaurds and they have lasted against many rocks.

I put them on my tj before the corners are damaged. I couldnt imagine putting them on after body damage.
    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

See its kind of like rock sliders, and a winch. You never seem to use them but that one time You are glad you had them. Mine have dodged civics at the mall tons of times:yay:
      Head nut at Outdoorlogic
      Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
      www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

What kind do you guys have? I read somewhere that I should NOT get anything less than 3/16" thick. Does that sound right? Because I believe the Gen Right ones are 1/8" think. Another guys said that i should not get Pop rivets. IF that is right why.

Should I stay away from Gen Right?

Comment

full gaurds

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=CNR2002

shortys

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=CNR2001

never had a problem with the rivets on the shorty ones. When I upgraded to the full gaurds I got the big rivnuts.
          Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

I have Rokman
            Head nut at Outdoorlogic
            Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
            www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

I have the "short" corner guards. They are attached with pop rivets and I have used them only twice in the last three years! I tend to keep the tail of the Jeep away from rocks......But, I like the way that the rock rash looks on the guards instead of the body work!

I think that most would agree that Gen Right makes some quality products. But, perhaps you should base your purchasing decision on how hard you expect to wheel your Jeep.
              The full sized rock guards can be heavy, and may be more than you need.
              Your choice....
              Money pit!

Comment

I use Gen-Rite, they're 3/16, shipped at 80lbs. I'm glad I put 'em on before I needed them.
                '98 TJ, Steve-www.itsajeep.org

Comment

I do Big Bear mostly, 3N93 being my favorite. But you all cleared it up for me....I think i'' buy the GenRite ones then...Thanks

Comment

I bought the Gen-Right shorties last year and the powder coating has come off and they look horrible now, maybe just a bad batch. They rivet on pretty easy but when I take them off to repaint I will bolt on just for good measure.

Comment

i have a related question about the corner guards. how do you stop crap and water and dirt from getting between them and the tub? are you not worried about rust? maybe you guys dont have the same problems we do with rust up here.i guess your roads dont get salted to remove ice eh?

Comment

Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
                        i have a related question about the corner guards. how do you stop crap and water and dirt from getting between them and the tub? are you not worried about rust? maybe you guys dont have the same problems we do with rust up here.i guess your roads dont get salted to remove ice eh?
                        I made sure I didn't leave bare metal under mine. I thought about applying a layer of latex caulk between them. If rust was a problem here, I would had done that.
                        '98 TJ, Steve-www.itsajeep.org

Comment

What do you need corners for ?

I don't understand why you guys pay all that money for those corner guards :dunno: It's beyond me. I'd start with em rather than not.
                          Best, Max7

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I have the Gen-Right TJ shorty's on my YJ. They are a great product for a fair price. Been really happy with them so far.

95 YJ
                            2.5L Low Output, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, D30 Aussie, 8.8, TeraLow 4:1, Outdoor Logic custom fab - Cage, Tube fenders, Sliders, and more.

Comment

I have a set of Poison Spider corners on mine (too bad you can't get them anymore). Nice units, very strong. The GenRight stuff is the next best thing, now that PSC has bowed out.

Do they make a difference? Yes. Although, I have seen them cause body damage as well. It all depends on how you wheel.
                              '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Working...
                              X