Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by highway420 View Post
    Oh good god...looks like the same debate as long arm vs. short arm....:bonk:

I am also considering an Optima...after all, that is what you hear about most of the time for offroad applications...

Isn't it the best over all application, being sealed and all? My stock one is already showing signs of leaking, and the Jeep is only a year old. And I haven't been offroad nearly as much as I should've.....

I also just installed a winch, a 10,000 pounder and now have to upgrade the battery to accomodate it. Are the sears less money than the optimas?

This is one of those things; I hear random negative comments about a product that, until I had a need for it, had a great reputation. The guys that had trouble with them, what was your application?
    my use for them was basic jeeping needs.
    it is not my daily driver, but i do drive it occasionally. it sits for weeks at a time, then i drive it 100+ miles to and from the trail to wheel, and winch.
    the blue top is supposed to be the same as the yellow top, and has all of the same specs, but is called out for boating. it has the side terminals for accessories, and is a deep cell/starting battery. it was also available at costco for what i thought was a fair price.
    i have been through 2 of those in a few years. my latest one will not take a charge at all after sitting for a few months while the jeep was being worked on.

i may take it back to costco and see if they will exchange it for me.
    those of you that love your optimas can buy it from me for a discount.
    the rest of you can go on by your local sears, and grab one of those premium batteries for about 40 bucks more than the yellow/blue top, and have a 5 year full replacement warranty on a deep cell/starting battery with more cold cranking amps, more amp hours.
    pm me with offers on the optima blue top IF i am able to do the exchange.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
      optima sucks.
      try one of the sears platinum batteries.

i have gone through more of those optimas than you can shake a stick at.
      3 red tops, and 2 blue tops.
      all in 5 years.
      they are JUNK.
      the sears battery (platinum) is an odyssey rebadged.
      thanks for the tip, erik...looks like a solid purchase to go hand in hand with that electric winch that i'll be buying in the near future.

03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
        thanks for the tip, erik...looks like a solid purchase to go hand in hand with that electric winch that i'll be buying in the near future.

WHAT??? You've actually made a decision?!
        -Bob
        '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Oh good god...looks like the same debate as long arm vs. short arm....:bonk:
          Not the same debate at all. If you notice, everyone who loves them has older Optimas. Those who hate them have newer ones that died an early death.

Is that really that hard to figure out?
          I am Savvy.

Comment

I've been running the Odyssey Dry cell Bats now for about 5 years. No issues here
            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
            WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
              Not the same debate at all. If you notice, everyone who loves them has older Optimas. Those who hate them have newer ones that died an early death.

Is that really that hard to figure out?
              Well, I guess it is....that's why people are posting on here, aren't they??
              David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
              I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

Well, I guess it is....that's why people are posting on here, aren't they??
                Go buy an Optima, I'm sure it will serve you well. All you need next is a K&N air filter and a Hi-lift and you've hit the big three.
                I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
                  Go buy an Optima, I'm sure it will serve you well. All you need next is a K&N air filter and a Hi-lift and you've hit the big three.
                  WOW....somebody is having a bad day......
                  Why such an attitude?
                  I merely made a joke with the 'debate'...
                  But you seem to have malice here....What's your point?
                  David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
                  I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

WOW....somebody is having a bad day......
                    Why such an attitude?
                    I merely made a joke with the 'debate'...
                    But you seem to have malice here....What's your point?
                    My point is that Optimas have dramatically gone downhill in quality and that's not subject to debate.

The majority of folks who have them, have older ones. The folks who are unhappy with them have had multiples of failures each in the last few years.

I see the same "debate" on many different offroad boards and it's worth paying attention to even though the results are always the same. If you chose not to, then good on ya and enjoy your new battery.
                    I am Savvy.

Comment

I have the same battery as Erik, Sears Platinum Group 34. Judging from the specs, it is a rebadged Odyssey and you can't beat the warranty... 4 years free replacement and up to 100 months prorated. Why go for Optima?
                      [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

I'm finally (5 years later) replacing the factory battery in my '02 Heep. It's started, winched, been under water, I tried to short it and set it on fire at the JV Rookie run (that one's for you Erik) sat out in the cold and never once gave me problems. But I'm pushing it, so Sears will be getting some of my cash-ola next weekend.
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516472
                          I am Savvy.

Comment

I have a red top which has been in my jeep for over 5 years. It has been the best battery I have ever bought. I kill alot of battery in the many rigs I own. Many have several batteries. The red top just keeps on going.
                            However I have heard all BAD things about optima for the last few years.
                            My next jeep battery I will follow Nailers lead and buy at Sears. I have had good luck with their batteries also. It is just difficult to get a discount other than on sale from Sears.
                            456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

Comment

Working...
                            X