Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optima batteries

What is a better choice red or yellow, yes i have a winch and no my jeep does not sit for extended periods of time with out running it, also what size of battery, I see 75/25 for example?

since you have a winch i'd say get a Yellow top.
    according to the Optima appl guide. the D75/25 is the yellow top that will give you 650CCA 810CA and has the side terminals to hook up all kinds of extra stuff like lights and a winch.
    Rugged Rocks Off Road Nissan 4x4 stuff

Comment

optima recommends you NOT using the side post for winching
      [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

[COLOR="Yellow"]YELLOW TOP[/COLOR]
        Its no fun without family

Comment

Originally posted by dr.dirty View Post
          optima recommends you NOT using the side post for winching
          Why is that?
          Check out .

Comment

optima sucks.
            try one of the sears platinum batteries.

i have gone through more of those optimas than you can shake a stick at.
            3 red tops, and 2 blue tops.
            all in 5 years.
            they are JUNK.
            the sears battery (platinum) is an odyssey rebadged.

The P-4 Platinum Automotive Battery from DieHard features 135 minutes of reserve capacity and 880 cold cranking amps. Its corrosion-resistant high quality tin-coated brass terminals provide reliable starting power in all weather conditions. Its rugged, military-grade construction features robust casing for increased compression and offers superior vibration resistance, making it ideal for off-road applications.

* Longer off-season storage time -show cars & classic cars
            * Ideal for luxury vehicles with multiple electronic accessories
            * Plates made of 99.99% pure virgin lead
            * High purity grade acid held safely in place by glass mats; non-spillable design
            * Absorbed Glass Mat construction provides mounting flexibility & guarantees longer service life
            * 4-Year Free Replacement; 100-Month Prorated Limited Warranty
            Last edited by NAILER341; 12-22-07, 10:10 AM.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
              Why is that?
              The main battery posts have a greater current carrying capacity.

The starter might draw more current but you only run it for a few seconds. You will probably run your winch for a lot longer. Pulling a large load, for a long time, may cause the side terminals to overheat.
              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                optima sucks.
                try one of the sears platinum batteries.

i have gone through more of those optimas than you can shake a stick at.
                3 red tops, and 2 blue tops.
                all in 5 years.
                they are JUNK.
                the sears battery (platinum) is an odyssey rebadged.

Funny Ive hade my yellow top in the rig for over 4 years plus it was 2 or 3 years old when I got it from work.
                Its no fun without family

Comment

I have had my Optima for six years. No problems.
                  Never the last trail!:cactus:

Comment

x2 on the sucks part, ive tryed two and had bad luck with both...

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post
                      The main battery posts have a greater current carrying capacity.

The starter might draw more current but you only run it for a few seconds. You will probably run your winch for a lot longer. Pulling a large load, for a long time, may cause the side terminals to overheat.
                      Interesting. Thanks.
                      Check out .

Comment

Are you still using the stock alternator??? That would also be a factor to consider. From what I understand, a stock alternator puts out it's max charge when it is turning at 2500-3000 rpm's.

An alternator with a higher amp output will give you more charge at idle rpm's . http://www.alternatorparts.com/
                        Or you can check out these guys at: http://www.mean-green.com/products/alternator.html[

Also, is your Jeep a daily driver? If NOT, then you need to consider investing in a battery charger/tender. The extended up-down charging cycles for a vehicle that spends alot of time in the garage will shorten the life of a battery.
                        Last edited by pdw; 12-27-07, 01:58 PM.
                        Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by tool pimp View Post
                          Funny Ive hade my yellow top in the rig for over 4 years plus it was 2 or 3 years old when I got it from work.
                          i use to deal with optima all the time in the military. the batteries are fine until you kill it once or twice, than there just dead weight. i would rather have one of those sears batteries, at least you charge them and add water when needed.

Comment

Oh good god...looks like the same debate as long arm vs. short arm....:bonk:

I am also considering an Optima...after all, that is what you hear about most of the time for offroad applications...

Isn't it the best over all application, being sealed and all? My stock one is already showing signs of leaking, and the Jeep is only a year old. And I haven't been offroad nearly as much as I should've.....

I also just installed a winch, a 10,000 pounder and now have to upgrade the battery to accomodate it. Are the sears less money than the optimas?

This is one of those things; I hear random negative comments about a product that, until I had a need for it, had a great reputation. The guys that had trouble with them, what was your application?
                            David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
                            I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

I have a 94 YJ with only 84,000 miles on it and have dual Red Top Optima Batteries. One of them is 9 years old and the other is 6 years old. I still have the factory alternator. The Jeep sits 90% of the time and is basically used 4 wheelin. I have no issues starting or winching others at any time.

I will concur with Deadmeat that if you kill them dead a few times as with just about any battery they are just junk. They do not ever seem to bounce back.

If you worry about this install a battery disconnect system to avoid killing your battery because of a draw to the system like your stereo or clock.

Brett
                              offroadwerkz.com
                              (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Working...
                              X