Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the site

This site rocks! Looks like there's a lot of info here. I just got a 1980 CJ7 thats seen better days. Need to redo just about everything. But isn't that why we get them? HAving some trouble getting the engine to turn over though. The engine isn't locked up. Just replaced the starter, solenoid and the ignition module and still nothing. It sounds like the solenoid is clattering and it is not energizing the starer. Any ideas? Thx in advance.

All right another CJ. Welcome to MJR. I have an 80 CJ also and when I got it was in horrible condition. It was actually in a house fire. It’s a great feeling finishing a restoration you do your self. Stick with it and you appreciate it much more. As for your situation sounds like your not getting enough juice to the starter. Check all your connection and make sure they’re clean and tight. Also, you didn’t mention any thing about the battery. Make sure it’s fully charged.
    Check out .

Comment

Welcome aboard and congrats on the CJ
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Yep, classic I2R issue. Clean all the cables and connections, make sure they're tight (make sure the starter is bolted on tight - that's the ground return path), battery is all the way up. (Easy way to check if it's battery - turn on the headlights. If they don't dim when you try to start, current isn't hitting the starter)

If all else fails, start replacing cables - starting with the positive battery cable - lots of times the "green menace of death" will migrate into the cable. The ends will look fine - but 1" in it looks like split pea soup
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY
        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Working...
        X