Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noobie to the site.

Hello,

I am a noobie to this site, and soon to be a noobie to the CJ model of Jeeps.

I owned a 98 TJ before, but now am looking to get into the CJ World. And I know that the difference is huge between the TJ style to the CJ style.

Currently I am looking for either a CJ 5 or CJ 7, and am not too familiar with the models, but am going to purchase one, soon. I am looking for it to be Trail able, and still occasionally be able to drive daily.

My question or variety of questions are-

What should I avoid when looking at the CJ 5 or CJ 7, certain parts, engines, transmissions etc.

What are some good thing I should be looking for when I am looking at the CJ's.

What years to avoid

and any other information you guys have is appreciated.

I plan on searching and reading this forums, all day to see what I can find, but any little insight, like I said it would be appreciated.

Plan on spending more time under your CJ than your TJ!

CJ7's have a longer wheelbase than the 5's. After (I believe) 1981 the CJ7's went with a wider axles...so it's less tippy. Best to look for would be a 1986 with a dana 44 rear axle. Hard to get, but they're out there. Most likely it'll have an AMC 20 rear end (round diff cover)...which is ok, IF AND ONLY IF, you upgrade to a 1 piece axle.

Tons of info at www.cjoffroad.com

Have fun!

Comment

Lets start at the bottom ^.^
      The CJ5 is a VERY short wheelbase. It's got ample clearance to run larger tires on the stock suspension. Because of the Front and Rear Leaf Springs AND the short wheelbase the ride is really rough, not much you can do about it. The CJ5 is a VERY capable jeep and has long since proved itself as being versatile in its offroad capabilities.The CJ5 came with three motors I think >.< a Four Cylinder, an Inline Six, and the AMC 304 V8

The CJ7 is a longer wheelbase, more similar to that of the YJ Wrangler. In fact the YJ's would share some of the same parts *cough* frame *cough*. The CJ7 STILL had front and read leaf springs, but it wasn't near as rough as the CJ5. The CJ7 came in many different trends and styles like the Renegade. Like the CJ5 the CJ7 was yet again, very capable offroad. I typically don't hear much bad about them. The CJ7 Came with the 4.2L Inline Six, the AMC 304 V8, and I don't know if it came with a 4 cylinder or not O.o

If you're looking for a daily driver, I'd shoot for a CJ7, but if you looking for something intersting and fun, but you don't mind being jostled around a lot...the CJ5 is great!
      WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
      [_____]
      (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
      []--o---[]

Comment

thanks for link.

also thanks for the info.

Comment

why are you changing from a TJ to a CJ? anyhow, best of luck to ya and welcome!
          Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

Rubi-

I am not persay going from a TJ to a CJ, I have had other cars in between. Plus the CJ is more of a fun vehicle then a DD. Although I would go back to a TJ in a heartbeat, if people in Utah werent inflating the prices insanely.

Also, I purchased a CJ 5 I figured I would show off, seems I am pretty geeked about it.

Its a 1978 CJ 5
            Chev 350 V 8 motor
            Dana 20
            4 Speed Manual

Not sure what else you guys like to hear, but ask away and I will try to divulge the info.

Heres some pics-

Comment

Oh Yeah! Nice Jeep! Congrats!
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

thanks. I love it.

Comment

Nice Cj!!

Comment

Working...
                  X