Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving

Hey all,
    I'm new here. A friend of mine got me into Jeeping by taking me out ...I was hooked. I'm currently saving for a YJ. I figure in another 6 months or less I will have enough to pick one up. Until then I'll be learning from your posts. I'll also post answers where I can as I have been around the block a few times with other projects (Classic Stang, Vette, Harley, etc).

Best regards,
    Audible:tongue:
    :whip: YOU ONLY GO AROUND THIS ROCK ONE TIME...DRIVE A JEEP

Woot!! Word of advice....get a six cylinder YJ, either a 4.2 or a 4.0L
    And anybody who says anything bad about the 4.2, don't believe them, it's carburated, and once it gets warmed up has no trouble doing anything you need it to do.

Also, be forwarned, the YJ's leafsprings offer a much MUCH rougher ride compared to the TJ.
    WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
    [_____]
    (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
    []--o---[]

Comment

Welcome to the board!
      Erik

I fix things.

Comment

Morning,
        I may look at a TJ. I was looking at YJ because of cost, but I have seen a few TJ's with low mileage on used lots for $14,000 or less. I have an Infiniti that is a kick to drive (fast), but I'm bored with it. I spend toooo much time washing it, going slow through dips, and worring about people dinging it. My wife wants me to keep the Infiniti and just buy a used Jeep. Iwant to trade off my Infiniti for a used Jeep. We'll see

Comment

As someone who was driving carburated 4x4's long before YJWonderboy graduated from Tonkas and Lego trucks - I'll have to disagree

Unless your trails have no serious climbs, no off camber or no altitude changes - there's zero reason to ever own a carburated SWB 4x4 - ever.
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

traded in a 05 WRX for my 07 wrangler for the same reasons lol but i have had jeeps since i was 13 and now owne 3 and 3 other 4X4's

Comment

ya, dont get carbed, even i know that much, i have a tj, the ride is much better than a yj, its no cadilac car but it gets the job done.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. My main hurdle will be the wife...she likes the G-35 and is tired of my "projects":oops: . Time will tell the tale.

Comment

lol, non carbed? Tell that to a buddy of mine who runs a 1st gen bronco. That little thing puts my YJ through it's paces.
                  WTF Mate?

______
                  [_____]
                  (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                  []--o---[]

Comment

welcome! TJ all the way! let your wife test drive it.
                    Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

Originally posted by YJwonderboy View Post
                      lol, non carbed? Tell that to a buddy of mine who runs a 1st gen bronco. That little thing puts my YJ through it's paces.

Yep, I can find a few of those too - including my SBC FJ-40. Very few. Only took me 4 carbs to find one that I liked.

Lots of folks put injection on the carb'd motors, hmm - why is it that no one sells a kit to go the other way?

After three decades of wheeling and taking apart more carbs than I want to remember, I'll spend my time wheeling thanks very much - not messing with jets, springs, power valves, floats......
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY

Comment

Alright! I give, I give up! *bows down to the almighty Old Fart*

Lol, Always learn from experience I always say...whether it be your own or somebody elses!
                        WTF Mate?

______
                        [_____]
                        (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                        []--o---[]

Comment

LOL, I've been called a lot of things - Almighty wasn't one of them up to now

Seriously - unless it's a smoking deal on a whole rig - or something no one has convereted to FI - can't see any reason for a carb. maybe if I wheeled in mud.
                          Jeff
                          OHV76V
                          KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                            ...maybe if I wheeled in mud.
                            You mean like I do? I'm a redneck...i'll admit it...and proud of it!! I'm a master of duct tape engineering!
                            WTF Mate?

______
                            [_____]
                            (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                            []--o---[]

Comment

i wheel in mud, and wonderboy, what about the times climbin a hill or gettin outta a ditch and your at like 75+ degrees of incline..thats never fun in a carbed rig, pulled my buddys truck up a hill once, well i chained to a tree and he hooked a winch to the front of mee, and i was like a link btwn the winch points because we didnt have enough rope, but i made it up and he didnt thats all that matters

Comment

Working...
                              X