Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00bsauce.

i guess it's introduction time.

i just got my first jeep. 2006 wrangler X. would have liked to get the rubicon, but i'm sure i'll end up replacing most my stock parts eventually, anyways.. no big loss.

so anyways, over new years my fiance and i went out to ocotillo with a couple other friends, this was pretty much my second time wheeling, the first time was also in ocotillo. long story short, before the new year, i rolled my brand new jeep. pretty dumb right? right.

thankfully neither my self or my fiance were in the jeep.. without going into detail, we basically ended up sliding sideways down the back side of a pretty steep climb, my tires folded under the rim and stopped the jeep long enough for the pair of us to climb out (she went first, of course).. run back to camp after several failed attempts to radio someone, get a winch and several anchors and attempt to pull it up. tow strap broke. jeep went down a 60' ravine.

how bad was the damage you ask? here's a couple pics for you..

4 new tires and a $20 tie rod later, the jeep is ready to rock again.

... hopefully i've entertained at least one person with all this.

1st Mistake: You wheeled alone
    2nd Mistake: You wheeled alone in the dark
    3rd Mistake: You wheeled alone in the dark with only 1 other wheeling trip experiance.

You live and you learn... Glad both of you walked away..

Comment

yeah, i got the lecture from just about everyone at camp.

i pretty much used up any ounce of luck i may have left..

$500 for 4 new BFG all terrains
      $20 for a friends old tie rod
      $50 for a K&N air filter

i'm short one passenger mirror, no biggie. and the passenger fender has seen better days, but i planned on getting poison spyder tube fenders, anyways..

Comment

Nice... Well at least you learned. Welcome to MJR. Next time you wanna make a run. Post here and im sure some people will join you. I go down to USD to visit my GF all the time.
        -Allen
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

right on - any spots worth checking out here in san diego?

i got a couple good people that i go out with, and we're actually headed out to anza borrego the last weekend in january.. *shrug*

^^ figured i'd throw in a pre-roll photo..

Comment

I dont really know spots in SD. Theres like Lawrence Welk. Seems like some cool stuff out there. I live in Riverside during school and Running Springs When im not here at UCR so i normally wheel in the Big Bear area.
            |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

right on, my buddy took me out near lawrence welk -- it was good practice.. and my folks have a house in fawnskin, so wheeling out there is definitely in my future.. how difficult is the terrain up there?

Comment

Depends. Theres anything and everything from dirt roads that are super easy to Tripple black diamond with some big boulders. Hillclimbs, rockgardens, V notches, you name it its in the SBNF. Hit me up when you go to fawnskin we always meet at the Firestation there when we wheel BB.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by RUGD JP View Post
                  1st Mistake: You wheeled alone
                  2nd Mistake: You wheeled alone in the dark
                  3rd Mistake: You wheeled alone in the dark with only 1 other wheeling trip experiance.

You live and you learn... Glad both of you walked away..

Its good no one got hurt...

Sure is a preppy rig though! Why new tires?
                  97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                  WEB site

Comment

Welcome aboard! Glad to hear that everyone is ok.
                    Erik

I fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Britain View Post
                      Its good no one got hurt...

Sure is a preppy rig though! Why new tires?
                      lol @ preppy rig. it's just.. stock. a work in progress..

if you look at the pics in my initial post you can see all 4 tires are flat and tore up.. when we tried to tow it up the hill we were dragging it sideways and the tires came off the rims.. next day we had to tow it back to the highway on the rims with the tires half off... so it shredded all of them..

..the stock tires are a joke, anyways..

Comment

Originally posted by atticusblack View Post
                        right on - any spots worth checking out here in san diego?
                        I'd ask Britain if I were you. He's a VERY experienced wheeler and you could learn a lot from him, plus he knows some very wicked places to wheel that aren't very far from you. A lot of the stuff he does is pretty technical to say the least. Hell, I'd kill to get on one of his "adventures", but my rigs just aren't ready for that stuff yet. Look up some of his trail reports & you'll know what I mean.
                        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

i dunno if i'm up for anything super technical, but i'll keep that in mind..

Comment

Hey, no one got hurt and you learned some valuable information about wheelin. I had a similar mishap in my FJ40, which was also my first 4x4. Live and learn. I enjoyed the pics.
                            Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Eh, it doesn't look too banged up. My passenger fender is worse than that. So bad I had to buy a new one. That one looks like it can be bent back.Tires...eh, you're right, the stock Goodyear Wrangler GSA-S are really kinda bad. If you're taking things light, like back roads and stuff that may require 4 wheel traction they do alright, but otherwise they are merely an all season street tire with a semi-aggressive tread. That's a sweet jeep though. Even with the bent fender you shouldn't have too many problems as is if you don't up the tire size any time soon, just don't go on anything that requires you to flex a whole lot...you'll mess that fender up even more. My advice...find a good hammer...or snatch the dent out. At least you didn't break your windsheild (Like i did)

oh....and WELCOME!! You Rock!
                              WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
                              [_____]
                              (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                              []--o---[]

Comment

Working...
                              X