Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lookin for suggestions

Hey everyone... I have an 03 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L (I'm savin for a Stroker), 2" Skyjacker suspension lift, 265/75R16 Ironman mudders, and a T&H Grille guard. She's never seen any mud yet (I owe way to much money to wanna be breakin anything) but she has takin on some pretty good snow and won (of course). And the newest addition to the family a 74 CJ5 with serious issues... I got it in pieces. Open to any suggestions on the best motor for a CJ5 and who makes the best suspension lift. And any info on upgrades for Grand Cherokee. Thanks a bunch

CJ5? That would be the AMC 304 easy! The 258's weren't bad either. They were the decent 258's, just caust their carbs weren't computer controlled like the early YJ Wranglers. Um...the CJ is an open book when it comes to motors. If there is a motor out there, it's probably been put in one. I personally don't like the CJ5 just because of the really short wheelbase...provide for a very very rough ride, but they are EXTREMELY capable offroad. The AMC-304 came in a lot of CJ's so finding a motor, tranny, t-case, and all the fixins' shouldn't be too hard if you're willing to really look for them. AMC also made a 360, which in my opinion is a LOT of motor for such a small sized vehicle, and would bee too much power offering instability offroad, and a sketchy throttle reponse. The 304's had plenty of power to push the little CJ's, but a lot of people who onwed the CJ's with the 258 I6 swapped them with the popular Chevy smallblock, instead of the 304 just because the GM motors have a much shorter stroke than the 304. The AMC is not particularly a rev happy engine, but it will get up and go...and then some (I personally like them). The 258 is in now way a bad motor is you've got it. Most of them came with a 1bbl carb, and some of them came a 2bbl. There are plenty of aftermarket parts for them, and they are very reliable motors. They had an iron block, with iron pistons, and put out like 120+ horses...I think...i'm not an expert on the 258. Anyway...i hope this helps >.<

....And welcome to MJR
    WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
    [_____]
    (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
    []--o---[]

Comment

I have no suggestions, but I can offer a "welcome!"

Sarah
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Thanks for the response... and the welcome... The CJ5 came with a Chevy 400 and a Warner ST-10 tranny... but personally I don't believe in puttin a Chevy motor in a Jeep... No offense cuz I know theres alot of them out there. I was think 304 or I have a 318 Chrysler I've been workin on rebuilding (not alot of time with a 2 yr old)... Does anyone know what tranny and transfer case bolts up to a 304? Thanks again

Comment

There are plenty of articles on the 304 online. I can't think off the top of my head what bolts to it. I can look it up for you if you could give me till this afternoon.
          WTF Mate?

______
          [_____]
          (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
          []--o---[]

Comment

I'd look for a Dana 300...
            The CJ's came with the Dana 18, 20, and 300 transfer cases...I couldn't really figure out which motors they went to...but I found the Dana 20 SHOULD fit the Dana 18, but some of the heavy truck Dana 20's won't fit. The Dana 300 was used in the 80's I think...so depending on the age of the motor, you may want to look at those. Hope this helps.
            WTF Mate?

______
            [_____]
            (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
            []--o---[]

Comment

I think I have a Dana 20... Thanks alot for the info

Comment

Originally posted by 2BlUeJEEP View Post
                And any info on upgrades for Grand Cherokee.
                What kind of upgrades? Just about any upgrade is now available for the ZJ and there are quite a few for the WJ.

www.nagca.com is the place for any and all ZJ and WJ info.
                Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                  What kind of upgrades? Just about any upgrade is now available for the ZJ and there are quite a few for the WJ.

www.nagca.com is the place for any and all ZJ and WJ info.
                  Thanks for the link.. lots of good info

Comment

Working...
                  X