Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welded

Greetings from el cajon ca. Nice site I joined with the hope of finding some info on a 03 rubi or simular and the mobi-arc welded problems/solutions.
    Any Takers?
    Thanks
    ken

Originally posted by welded View Post
    Greetings from el cajon ca. Nice site I joined with the hope of finding some info on a 03 rubi or simular and the mobi-arc welded problems/solutions.
    Any Takers?
    Thanks
    ken
    hi ken.
    the best solution to a mobi-arc problem is to get rid of it while you still can.
    i had one of these for a bit. it is a real pile of shit.
    mine tried to burn the jeep down after doing a hard winch pull. with the mobi arc acting as the computer for loads, it does a bad job of it.

as far as your error code... i think you need to put a small light between the "field" contacts that used to connect to the alternator.

since the jeeps computer is no longer doing all of the jobs it had before hooking up the mobi-arc, it gets confused when it is unable to perform them. the light bulb tricks your jeeps computer into thinking it is actually doing the job.

i had an error code issue, and this was the fix.

my best piece of advice, in all honesty, is to get rid of the damn thing.
    get yourself a ready welder. www.readywelder.com
    it is a much more portable unit, and is a lot easier to use on the trail.

good luck with all of this.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

mobi-arc and welding in general

Hi
      Thanks for replying. Do you think the heavy current draw of the winch was too much for the mobi? When I installed mine I bought a Alternator field repair connecter from the dealer/stealer. It was $43.oo and you had to put the wires in yourself. This way I can use the stock plug and alternator cable for daily driving. When I want to use the mobi-arc I switch alt.plugs and switch the stock cable with the yellow mobi cable. Then when I am all done I switch it back again to stock.
      This only takes a couple of minutes and a 1/2 in. wrench for the alternator nut. My rubi other that this is bare bones stock so other than the battery my current draw is nil.
      I thought that the mobi welds bitchen at 1800 rpm and 3/32 rod. I just don't trust it for daily driving. Welding is how I've made my living for going on 25 years so I was looking for a onboard welder for the trails.

I use to take along my small honda 2k generator and a 15 year old hobart handler(never failed). If I can get the bugs out of the mobi it would leave me more room for additional beer and such! In addition to my hobart handler I also have a hobart Hefty CC/CV voltage sencing wire feeder(30 lb. spools) that gets powered up by my Miller 250 gas driven welder on my welding truck, and a miller 200 amp High frequency Tig garage welder. Figure after 25 years in the biz I am pretty much set up for most anything that happens along. If anyone has questions on welding that I could help with I would like to repay this forum for allowing me to make a post or two.
      Take care
      Ken

Comment

Originally posted by welded View Post
        Hi
        Thanks for replying. Do you think the heavy current draw of the winch was too much for the mobi? When I installed mine I bought a Alternator field repair connecter from the dealer/stealer. It was $43.oo and you had to put the wires in yourself. This way I can use the stock plug and alternator cable for daily driving. When I want to use the mobi-arc I switch alt.plugs and switch the stock cable with the yellow mobi cable. Then when I am all done I switch it back again to stock.
        This only takes a couple of minutes and a 1/2 in. wrench for the alternator nut. My rubi other that this is bare bones stock so other than the battery my current draw is nil.
        I thought that the mobi welds bitchen at 1800 rpm and 3/32 rod. I just don't trust it for daily driving. Welding is how I've made my living for going on 25 years so I was looking for a onboard welder for the trails.

I use to take along my small honda 2k generator and a 15 year old hobart handler(never failed). If I can get the bugs out of the mobi it would leave me more room for additional beer and such! In addition to my hobart handler I also have a hobart Hefty CC/CV voltage sencing wire feeder(30 lb. spools) that gets powered up by my Miller 250 gas driven welder on my welding truck, and a miller 200 amp High frequency Tig garage welder. Figure after 25 years in the biz I am pretty much set up for most anything that happens along. If anyone has questions on welding that I could help with I would like to repay this forum for allowing me to make a post or two.
        Take care
        Ken
        did you take a look at the link i posted fr the ready welder? those things are fantastic if you dont have an objection to mig welding. great deep penetration, portable, you can weld on your own jeep, etc. all you need are a couple of batterie for up to 3/8" penetration.

outside of that, i have a bone to pick with the mobi-arc because of my bad experience with it. so i may not be the one for the most useful information on it.

did you buy this mobi-arc new? if so, they seem to be okay at giving tech advice at their office, however, you'll likely hear that you are the only one with this problem, or there is one other person, and this is how we fixed it

waht it comes down to with their problems within the welder and its inability to handle heavy loads is the mismatched mosfets.
        call them and see what they have to say for your problems.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Welcome aboard!
          Erik

I fix things.

Comment

mobi

Thanks for the info. I took your advice and got the same responce you got(This has only happened to a couple of mobi-arc welders and not to worry)Ah Bullshit. I bought the mobi new and I hope that it will last if only used occasionaly for trail repair work. I like mig welding. I have two hobart mig welders that have been trouble free for many years.
            Still got-em and still use-em.

One advantage stick welding has over mig is the ease of carrying different welding rods for different metals. With dc reverse(elect.Pos) I can weld the basics:steel, stainless steel, cast iron,alum., just by having a selection of welding rods stored in my jeep. I don't have to carry any bottles of shielding gas with me unless I want to tig something with my air cooled tig torch. Besides that I can get into some pretty tight places with a stinger and welding rod.

Most of all I like putting my aquired skills to the test at all times. Each weld counts as if a life depended not just a fix to get someone off the trail. Do it right the first time without the need to touch it again.
            I like doing my welding with stick mainly because it was what I started with and it is what I am used to working with most days. All depends on the task at hand you know.
            Take care and hope to see you on the trails sometime...
            Ken

Comment

Working...
            X