Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Better Business Bureau Story

Not sure how many people have ever had to use the BBB and if they've ever had any success with them but i thought i would share this story. When I bought my Wrangler in 04 from the dealer (I' will leave them un-named), they had installed the 33's and some of the other mods to the vehicle. For 2 years I had problems with power on the top end. The Jeep wouldnt go over 50mph in 5th gear.
    A local Jeep dealer had found the problem, which turned out that the original dealers outside contractor had installed the 33's on 3.07 gears front and rear without upgrading the gears. Since this is my daily driver, and with the prices of gas, this was killing me. I fought with them about the problem for almost 2 years about this without hiring a lawyer. Finally I decided to write the BBB and within a week of the online letter, The dealer called me and admitted they made a mistake and agreed to take care of the problems.
    I got the new 4.56 dana gears installed front and rear. I've now gone from less then 8mpg to around 15-16 mpg and couldn't be happier. I also got the torque back and even had to relearn how to drive the clutch......lol
    Anyone else have any stories like this?
    Rick

IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!
    http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j80/yellowfever_photos/[/url]

Welcome to the board Yellow and glad to hear your jeep is running better. I had a problem with a non jeep dealership while buying a jeep. (I know why was I doing that in the first place) I called the BBB and it was rapidly dissolved. It had to do with lemon law type stuff. One question did you request that they upgrade the gears when you did the modifications or did you assume that change one change all? I don’t mean for this to be confrontational but if you did not request they swap gears then where is your beef! There are lots of people running stock gears on lifted jeeps. They wait till they have $$$ or till the swap out the axels all together. If you as the consumer did not know to add gears that’s your fault. The dealer will only do what’s asked: LIFT AND TIRES! The sales men who sold you the jeep probably didn’t even know. I am glad you got you gears and that your jeep is running better. Your going to love those new gears out on the trail!
    Head nut at Outdoorlogic
    Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
    www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Gear swap

The tires and mods from the Dealer were done long before iI bought the jeep off the floor. When they called to regear the Jeep they asked me if i wanted 4.11's, 4,56's or 4.88's. This was also going to be a lemon law deal too since the Jeep had been to the dealer 5 times in the last year for the problem. I know hindsight is 20/20 but I'm just glad it's over
      Rick

Comment

good story, i think because of it I will seek BBB before too much effort is put into fighting on my own, if such situation were to arise
        2000 XJ, 108k miles
        33's, RE 4.5", 4.56

Comment

well, a few years ago I was scooting up to one of my favorite trails. I got off the freeway and stopped at the light. When it turned green, I put her in gear and let off the clutch...uhhh no mueva! After using my choice words while sitting there looking like a freek, I decided to cancel, without a choice, my run and called a tow. I got towed to the nearest mechanic and he swore that it was my transmission. Being the newbie that I was, I was amazed that this dude knew of my problem. Long story short, my problem was the linkage broke and the transmission was rebuilt unnecessarily. We have a State of Cali Automotive BBB rep that belongs to our club and he assisted...and pointed me in the right direction.
          "run forest, run!"

Comment

I have a question for you guys on this subject. I Drove down to TDS a few months ago and everything went great. On the drive hope something happened in my drive train in front of Magic Mountain and I had to find the nearest dealership to try to get the problem handled and they would not diagnose it but recomended a place down the road after gladly accepting $100 to look at it and determine there is too much aftermarket to diagnose it. The next shop told me that I lost a tooth on the ring gear and my tranny was also blown with 26,000 miles on it.

Reluctantly I got a uhaul and towed it home. Next day I called in a favor at the local jeep dealership and got the tranny replaced for the cost of labor which came to just over $900 and that turned out to never be a problem at all. Everything runs exactly the same and it was just the ring gear the whole time.

My question would be is there anything I can do to hold the second shop accountable for their bum diagnoses or am I supposed to just forget about that money because I had the third shop do the work under the second shops diag?

Comment

Chris..............Let me put it like this. I've been a Plumber for 20 years now and I have NEVER gone by another Plumbers diagnosis when called out for a problem. The Jeep dealer should have taken it upon themselves to diagnose the problem themselves and make the suggestions to fix it from there. Who finally diagnosed it as a bad ring gear after the tranny was replaced? If the dealer did not do their own diagnosis and find the correct problem and still charged you $900.00 for repairs that weren't needed then they should be held accountable. If you have paperwork from the other shop that fixed the ring gear then you should have all you need to write the BBB for help.

Rick
              Rick

Comment

Working...
              X