Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeeper Looking For Help And Buddies

Hi, I Just Wanted To Introduce Myself To The Rest Of The Class. My Name Is Jack And I Own A Basically Stock 98 Tj. I Have Done Some Engine Mods And Would Like To Go Crazy With Everything Else But Dont Know Where To Begin. I Want To Lift It But Want To Choose The Best Lift. Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated.i Would Also Like To Make Some New Friends To Hit The Trails With In The Near Future. By The Way I Live In Riverside California.

Welcome to the board

Its probably best to get some skids and protection, take it wheeling a bit, and see how you think youre going to use it before doing the lift and tires.

The group here goes from mild to wild and everything inbetween...start out on some mild trails and see how it goes. Your stock Jeep is more capable then you are at this point. Enjoy!

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I agree if you got some quick disconects for the front sway bar and some cheap 31" mud tires you could do 80% of the trails out there. Then you can see what other people have and how it works and then you can make a plan on what you want. Take it from some one who has put 3 different lifts on and has bought 3 different sets of tires in the past 2 years. MAKE A PLAN FIRST!!!
      :wink:

Comment

I can do up to moderate black diamond trails in my stock TJ with 31" Xterrain tires...like JeepGal said, the Jeep can do WAY more than your brain will want you to do at this point...just stay off the big rocks for now so you don't get stuck.

I agree with medicmahem/JeepGal...wheel with a stock vehicle until your skill level improves and you see what type of wheeling you'll be doing (or if you even like it). A good friend once gave me a great piece of advice...Wheeling is 30% tires, 30% rig, and 40% driver skill. So far I agree.

See here http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...way+disconnect to see the $10 Home Depot disconnects.

Cheers, hope to see you on the trails soon. :thumbs_up
        03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by ECHO
          Hi, I Just Wanted To Introduce Myself To The Rest Of The Class. My Name Is Jack And I Own A Basically Stock 98 Tj. I Have Done Some Engine Mods And Would Like To Go Crazy With Everything Else But Dont Know Where To Begin. I Want To Lift It But Want To Choose The Best Lift. Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated.i Would Also Like To Make Some New Friends To Hit The Trails With In The Near Future. By The Way I Live In Riverside California.
          Wow, how you do that? You missed an i though.
          Welcome :wink:
          “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
          -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Well I Have Done Several Light To Moderate Trails Out In San Bernardino And Riverside Counties And Feel That I Prefer Snow And Sand Over Rock Crawling. Rock Crawling, Although Very Challenging, Is A Bit Too Slow For Me. I Am Planning On Lifting My Jeep 4 Inches This Coming Weekend And Throwing Some 33's On. Any Suggestions?

Comment

I Prefer Snow And Sand Over Rock Crawling. Rock Crawling, Although Very Challenging, Is A Bit Too Slow For Me.
              Ah my eyes, they are burning !! maybe you should of bought a pre-runner truck.

all kidding aside, there are alot of good 4" lifts, depends on your budget.....if you do a search, this has been discussed before with alot of advice.

Good luck, hope to see you on our "slow" runs soon

Comment

Well I Have Done Several Light To Moderate Trails Out In San Bernardino And Riverside Counties And Feel That I Prefer Snow And Sand Over Rock Crawling. Rock Crawling, Although Very Challenging, Is A Bit Too Slow For Me. I Am Planning On Lifting My Jeep 4 Inches This Coming Weekend And Throwing Some 33's On. Any Suggestions?
                Welcome!!! Well, I remember building my rig up for wheelin' quite sometime ago...and I still find mods I want. Unless your building a rig up for desert pre-running, most local wheelin' requires LOW speed. A handful or two of some decent trails remain and are alot of fun once you learn your existing rig stock and find out your capable of as a driver/owner. I really would recommend 35" tires (Goodyear MTR's work for me) and a some decent protection for safety and undercarriage. Best bet...wheel the crap out of it with some experienced owners until you find your rigs limits and then consider modifications that fit your style.

Just my .02!

Mark
                "run forest, run!"

Comment

For what you think youre going to do, then you dont need to do much to your Jeep. Rocks take more then just buildup. Alot of concentration and good driver control. Rockcrawling does have a way of sneaking up on you and assimilating you. Nothing personal, anyone can drive fast, it takes skill to negotiate the rocks, but to each his own.

Oh, and btw, the reason his words are the way they are is that he is posting in all caps, the forum changes it to first letter caps. The reason his one "i" ended up not being capped is that he left it uncapped (hit the shift key on that one letter)

Tam
                  Last edited by JeepGal; 05-14-06, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I Appreciate The Help From Everyone. I Have Nothing Against Rockcrawling And I Know That It Takes A Lot Of Skill. My Jeep Is My Daily Driver And I Just Cant Afford To Have Anything Major Happen To It Right Now. I Have Read And Seen How Rocks Can Cost You Lots Of Money If You Dont Know What You Are Doing. Not Just Financially But Just The Downtime Aspect Of Repairs As Well. I Plan On Taking It To The Next Level After I Buy My New Truck But For Now I Will Have To Play Nice And Easy. I Hope I Didnt Offend Anyone With The Comment About Rockcrawling Being A Bit Slow, That Was Not My Intention.

Comment

no offense taken. There's just something special about hearing those springs flexing while the transfercase crawls through a rock garden without touching the gas or clutch that turns us on...

Best of luck
                      "run forest, run!"

Comment

Hey ECHO echo echo
                        [ sorry, I just had to ]
                        Welcome to MJR. I run mostly stock 00TJ and am close to going lift, probably Rubicon Express super flex, but I still look at the Nth degree site a lot. You can do a lot of runs with the stock rig and see what works in the field. If you don't have the CB installed yet. That should be your next install.
                        Hope to see you on the runs this summer.
                        Fuel Rod

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
                          Oh, and btw, the reason his words are the way they are is that he is posting in all caps, the forum changes it to first letter caps. The reason his one "i" ended up not being capped is that he left it uncapped (hit the shift key on that one letter)
                          Tam
                          Whoa :homer:
                          “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                          -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

We went out stock for a lot of runs. We ended up in buying the Rubicon Express 3.5 inch super flex kit. We like the abilities it has gained us in height and flex.

We also just bought the same lift kit for our Rubi also.

Navy-Jeepster
                            Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
                            Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

I Appreciate The Help From Everyone. I Have Nothing Against Rockcrawling And I Know That It Takes A Lot Of Skill. My Jeep Is My Daily Driver And I Just Cant Afford To Have Anything Major Happen To It Right Now. I Have Read And Seen How Rocks Can Cost You Lots Of Money If You Dont Know What You Are Doing. Not Just Financially But Just The Downtime Aspect Of Repairs As Well. I Plan On Taking It To The Next Level After I Buy My New Truck But For Now I Will Have To Play Nice And Easy. I Hope I Didnt Offend Anyone With The Comment About Rockcrawling Being A Bit Slow, That Was Not My Intention.
                              No offense taken at all, I hope I didnt offend you either.

Most of us dont intend on playing in the rocks, it just happens. Also, most of us start with our Jeeps being our daily driver as well. Chris and I used ours as DD's for about 3 years, Brian used to wheel his in the big rocks out at Johnson Valley, up until he bought a new (better mileage) daily driver. Sarahs is still hers. You might be suprised to find out how many are still DD's. We all totally understand what youre saying.

Good luck with your buildup

Tam

Comment

Working...
                              X