Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need trails in Oceanside area

Hi socal jeep people....New to the Jeep scene. Just bought a '05 unlimited, want to get it off road...just need a trail close to me, I'm in Oceanside...give me some ideas or lead me to the trails. Thanks!!!

Is this your first trip out?

How bout an easy trip up Nates Grade, to the top of Palomar Mountain?

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Have you heard of/ever been to Big Bear?
      Big Bear Photos and Trail Reports
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Thanks for the trails. Palamor is right in my back yard...Definately go have some fun and still have enough gas to get to work the next day.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Directions?

How do you get up to Nates Grade...I looked for directions, can't find any...can you help out?

Comment

Another Oceanside guy! Welcome to MJR.

Most of us in the area are awaiting LCIR to open again it's about the closest spot we have with some great wheeling trails. Here's the link to LCIR http://www.loscoyotes.info/

I talked with the people at LCIR about a month ago. They did some major work to the campsites adding in hook-ups for RV's and are currently re-paving the front road into the Reservation. They don't have an exact date yet on when it's going to re-open, but they said it will be posted on their site.
            [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
            AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
            15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
            33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
            FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
            Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
            RE Hand Throttle
            Optima Red Top
            K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

I'm right next to O-side too.
              2" body lift, 2" susp lift, Fabtec bumpers, wilderness rack, BFG 33's

Comment

I could be right next to O-Side too. Just would take about 45 min. of driving..
                Supe
                97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
                Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

I sent a PM to RUnlimited05, but does anyone know if there are any "legal" OHV areas on Camp Pendleton. There is some great terrain out there and they have every other kind of activity on that base.
                  2" body lift, 2" susp lift, Fabtec bumpers, wilderness rack, BFG 33's

Comment

I would have to say that Camp Pendleton is closed to Jeeps.
                    The Marines run their tanks, and Hummers around out there in their war game's though.
                    I would not want to run head to head with a tank.

I think there are a couple of members here that work out there though. So maybe they can chime in as to what is available there.

Navy-Jeepster
                    Gold Digger
                    Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
                    Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

*Raises Hand*

I'm Navy, but i've been stationed on Camp Pendleton for 13 years.

There are no "legal" places on base to offroad with a POV. There are a few areas where you can test out articulation and get your tires a little muddy, but that's about it.

As mentioned all the areas on this base that would be fun to offroad on are closed to the public and are for military use only.
                      [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
                      AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
                      15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
                      33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
                      FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
                      Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
                      RE Hand Throttle
                      Optima Red Top
                      K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

I'm back....There are no legal places to off road on Camp Pendleton, unless you want to hit the occasional puddle or just tromp around on a trail for about 15-30 minutes before the MP's get you....but all kidding aside, you best bet is to get ahold of the Base Game Warden, they will enlighten you on additional camp grounds that many don't know about, and may even have a few trails open to the public...but I highly doubt the trail thing....worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by RUnlimited05
                          Hi socal jeep people....New to the Jeep scene. Just bought a '05 unlimited, want to get it off road...just need a trail close to me, I'm in Oceanside...give me some ideas or lead me to the trails. Thanks!!!
                          I'm not sure about the Lawrence Welk Trails anymore. But that would be a close location for you to get to from Oceanside. If they are still open they offer a lot of rutted hill climbs. The access to the trail was on the west side and the east side along the I-15 near Lawrence Welk Village. The east side has had a lot of recent home building and the gates up into the trails have been locked.

I can look into it more if you're curious about hitting nearby trails.

Dave

Comment

sorry... I missed your post about Nates Grade.

If you take 76 east, its about 12 miles from the 15 on your right. The full name is Nate Harrisons Grade. Its a graded access road to the top of Palomar Mountain. It dumps you out in the park The views are really nice on a clear day.

It should be a pretty easy drive up, you may not need four wheel drive at all. Stop at the cafe at the intersection at the top before coming back down for a nice hot bowl of chili

Tam
                            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Working...
                            X