Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the Jeep Community, Looking to buy, need advise!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Jeep Community, Looking to buy, need advise!

I need help deciding what to get.

Hi. I'm looking to get into the jeep community. Due to a few additions to the family, it is time to sell off my Honda CRX.. I need something I can load up the family in.. and gear. I owned an 88 jeep cherokee 2wd.. Loved it to death, but got stuck all the time. I'm now looking for another cherokee or grand cherokee.

What I'm looking for:

Cherokee or Grand Cherokee
    Straight 6
    4x4
    4 doors
    1990-1996 (those seem to be in my price range)
    Dependablity
    Off-Roadability
    Gas Mileage??

So, its a toss up, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee?? What are the pros and cons of each? I want a dependable ride that is a daily driver but has off-road capability.

I need a few educated opinions! Help!

Oh, and hello everyone!

welcome aboard. I'm a little partial to the XJ's (Cherokees). They are a little more basic then a Grand Cherokee. If you want a little more luxury, then a ZJ is probably better. Both have the same engine, similar trannys, and probably about the same horrible gas milage. Both can be very capable off road. I guess you should look at both, that are in your price range, and pick what you like more. Good Luck!
    Last edited by JeepGal; 08-28-05, 08:23 PM.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by phyregod
      I need a few educated opinions! Help!

Oh, and hello everyone!
      Err...you're in the wrong place
      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

What would you reccomend for a transmission? Auto Or Manual?? Does it matter?

And the Cherokee Vs Grand Cherokee suspension.. I would assume the cherokee is more versitile?

Comment

What would you reccomend for a transmission? Auto Or Manual?? Does it matter?

And the Cherokee Vs Grand Cherokee suspension.. I would assume the cherokee is more versitile?

auto/manual is a personal preference. Cherokee has leaf springs in the rear coils in the front. Grand cherokee has coils all around.
          B R E T T
          87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

I suppose what I'm asking is, is the auto transmission worth a darn when rock crawling and mudding? If this was a straight street vehicle, I would be all over the auto.. But I do want to play, too.

I know the manual gives better control, but I immagine that you could cook a clutch pretty quick trying to crawl...

Comment

I know the manual gives better control
              Depends on where you play. Auto., IMO is better then any manual. And I stay out of mud.
              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

So.. back to XJ vs. ZJ

I've found a few 95's for around $3200.00.. Both cherokee and grand cherokee.. The grand cherokee has more passenger space and cargo space, but has less ground clearance and weighs 600 pounds more. The cherokee looks tough, and the grand looks sexy.. Its a serious toss up, here...

Anyone else have their two cents to throw into the pot? I'm trying to soak up as much info as possible before a purchase is made. Thanks!

Comment

Well, what I DIDN'T do before buying my '74 CJ-5 was look around at what kind of upgrades/parts are available for it. If you hang around this site much, you'll eventually upgrade something; I'd bet vital parts of my anatomy on it. Perhaps a difference in price on lifts available, types of accessories etc might help make the decision. As all other options seem to be very similar to you. Also, in my limited experience whenever I go for the "sexy toy" gear... it gets all effed up. My :2:
                  [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                  Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I will absolutely be upgrading it. I am a performance nut.. This jeep will be getting some form of lift, probably within the first week of ownership.. lol... Upgradability is definently high on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by aston
                      Err...you're in the wrong place
                      'cept for me :yay:

Auto Vs Manual: both have their advantages and disadvantages but in the final analysis I think the auto is easier.

If you are addicted to shifting go for a manual. If you are not sure go auto.
                      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Working...
                      X