Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy Needs Jeep Advice!

Hi to all! New So. Cal. guy here. I need advice on buying a used jeep. Here are the details:
    1992 YJ
    4.0 /Manual
    hardtop w/bikini and toneau
    Aftermarket rims and tires
    Sound bar
    Full doors
    All stock

The rest:
    no radio
    no a/c
    no spare
    needs master clutch cyl.
    some rust on drivers side near jeep logo, almost thru. nickel sized.
    not been offroad much as far as I can tell
    Driveshaft to front axle dis-connected due to front wheel vibration at speed
    Crack at drivers side window frame.

I put a deposit down and can finalize this weekend. Price is $2,900.00
    Do you guys think this is a good deal????
    Your advice would be appreciated!!!!!!
    Thanks,
    Scott

Good Deal???

Welcome aboard!

Boy o' boy, you got some fixin' to do on that one!!

How many miles on the drivetrain? The optional accessories don't add much to the TMV (true market value). If the motor has more than 100K you might consider passing on it.

That vintage needs major modifications to be trail-capable. If it were me and I was starting with a YJ, it would be with the idea that it would be a trail only rig, strip all the running gear out of it and put a V8 in it with full width axles. I would be looking to buy it for under a grand.

If you're looking for a play rig, there are probably better choices, even if it's a YJ. My feeling is the price is a little high but I could be wrong. Demand is high for jeeps in general.

Comment

Thanks! I knew I needed some good advice before I did anything stupid!!!!

Comment

On top of that, there is no reason to disconnect the driveshaft in a YJ, cause it doesnt spin anyway, in 2wd . . . unless its in 4wd or broken.

Oh and welcome to MJR
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I don't think they know what they are doing. I doubt it has been in 4wd very much. Maybe it just needs balancing. Still, is it worth buying????????

Comment

If you are looking for a daily driver, probably not. If you are looking for something to cut up and wheel the shit out of, probably. Whats the Blue book?
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

not a daily driver, a project for sure. KBB private party sale lists at $3,695 in FAIR condition. I am on a Jeep budget and it is tuff to find many Jeeps in this price range.

Comment

Seems a bit pricey to me but I havent shopped around for older YJs. 92 I believe was not EFI which means passing smog could be an issue. If its a trail only rig (meaning being towed/trailered) smog is not an issue as you dont have to register it (i think, not 100% on that one).

Unless you absolutley have to have this one Jeep, I would pass on it.

Besides that, welcome aboard!
                Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

IIRC, 92 is the first year for EFI
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Well, seems the consensus is to pass on this deal. I 'll have to sleep on it. ( I think the 92 is EFI)
                    I thank you all for your input.

Comment

Oh, I forgot the Tuffy locking center console!!! Ha! That will make it all worthwhile!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Good Luck !

Comment

Ok having a YJ is the best thing ever, lemme just say that, but the next thing is that its stock, buying a stock rig usuly needs allot of money to build up. i baught my yj for 5 K. It came with 4.5 lift 33's MTR, SYE, all new intterior and a bunch of other little things, i would buy a rig that is semi built up , you can take it out wheeling the first day you buy it. That is my opinion, and its a bit pricey. Thanks
                          ./| ,[_____], 4.5"
                          |ŻŻŻL--D|||||D 33"
                          ()_)Ż()_) ŻŻ )_) Armor
                          Locked and Ready

Comment

It looks nice in the pic you sent me:

I would buy it. Plus its got a hardtop and hard doors. Sell that garbage for like $1000, now your sitting pretty.

If you dont buy it I know some one who will.
                            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Man am I going to buck the trend on this one. $2900 is a bit steep, but that is a really good find.

My logic is this: I don't buy modified vehicles. So then, let's look at it logically, which is to say let's look at it economically. $2k is a good price. Then $600 for a lift. Another $500 for tires- you already have rock crawlers on there. Then ~$600 for a winch. Gears will be next and if you can't do them yourself, this will hurt pretty bad and be about $1k + for them installed. Since it is most likely a D35 out back, just get the lock right lunch box lockers front & rear and that will be ~$600. With that right there you are looking at a KILLER trail rig. Total investment? Call it $5k. Now THAT is a good deal.

The 4.0 is indestructible, and I think it has a NP 231 which is still in use today. Oh yeah, the vacuum system- if so equipped- up front could be a cause of the issues of vibration or the like. $100 gets you a posi lock to eliminate that issue. Then the stereo is up to you. I have a total of a whopping $200 in mine and it has 6 speakers and a subwoofer with a 4 channel amp and is loud as all heck.

Other things would be a slip yoke eliminator and CV rear driveshaft. Then you can look into bumpers and racks and other toys. Heck, it was even on this site that I saw a writeup on putting in AC for ~$600, and since you have a hard top, that would be worth it.

Bottom line for a little over $6k you can have a pretty gnarly trail machine that is totally streetable and comfy to boot.

If it were me? I'd do it as long as the drivetrain isn't wasted.
                              '95 YJ 4 banging powerhouse.
                              www.longtallsally.50megs.com

Comment

Working...
                              X