Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Overland build using XJ

We're currently doing a budget overlander build of which the focus is to keep the entire budget within $4-5k total (including the cost of the vehicle). Our first issue featured an "overview" of the project and issue #2, which released about 1 week ago at newsstands and online, features the first part of the build which included a suspension and tire upgrade. Issue #3 will feature the last part of the suspension-related upgrades.

Anyways, if you were building a "budget overlander", what are some of the things you would want to include in the build knowing the total budget is $4-5k as noted above?

If you'd like to see where we're at so far, you can check out digital samples of both issues 1 & 2 from the links below or pick-up the print edition from our website or most Barnes & Noble etc. I'd definitely like your feedback. Cheers!

Issue #1
    http://issue1.outdoorx4.com

Issue #2
    http://issue2.outdoorx4.com
    OutdoorX4
    www.outdoorx4.com

Skids, mild lift, 33" tires, front and rear bumpers, swing out tire carrier, interior platform with places to stow....everything. Rear table on the back of the swing out. on board air. front, side and rear aux illumination for camp set up. Being an XJ, probably need a rack, but RTT's over old news, I'd go with interior sleeping platform and screens for window covers.
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Excellent feedback and a number of these items are on our list. We'll probably tier the build in different stages with the "budget" portion front-loaded with the necessities and then developing the build afterwards to incorporate much of what you've listed.

Thanks for the feedback and stay tuned to the build.
      OutdoorX4
      www.outdoorx4.com

Comment

I checked out your online samples, unfortunately they cut off before reaching the article about the XJ, but i like the mag. I also think the visual table of contents layout is brilliant.
        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Welcome to MJR! BTW - ALL Jeep builds are on a budget!
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
            Welcome to MJR! BTW - ALL Jeep builds are on a budget!
            Some are just bigger than others.
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
            X